• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Mag Tubes: Extensions and Springs

Yep, it was the length of the Winchester slugs that I was loading at first. Switched to some shorter shells and fit 7 no problem. Now if only I wouldn't have cut the spring! Still seems to load all the shells properly, but I can hear a slight spring rattle when the mag tube is empty. That's a cheap fix though.

EBK: did you shorten your spring? And by approx how long?

Thank you both for your input!

No I did not need to modify the spring in any way.

I did however just get off the phone with Mossberg because the mag tube is not releasing shells when the pump is cycled. They are sending me a new shell stop and shell interrupter. For the record it does this without the extension as well.

I have also noticed that my barrel now has about a 16th of an inch of play moving forward and back now that I have the extension on. Is this normal?

Last edited:
I just received my S&J extension as well for my 590A1 18.5. The extension is ok, for some reason they have changed the design (It sticks about 1/16 past the barrel). The item on their website was not what I received. When I asked why, I got no response, but they did change their website picture. After 5 emails of trying to get a response to my original order status and them losing my order I did not want to deal with trying to send it back. I'll post up a pick of the old extension and the new extension in case some are interested. It works as intended though so I can't complain as it hold one more shell.

Their website pic (Previous to 3/6/14)
16.jpg

What I received.
20140305_174517.jpg

Gun is almost completed. I would like to get the Meprolight front night sight and put a couple more coats of BLO on the stock set. I went through a combat shotgun class last weekend and it performed great. Slug transitions are easier in this gun compared to the Rem 870...in my opinion.

20140306_185351.jpg

Sorry to see you didn't get what you ordered, but it's good that it does the job. Strange that you didn't receive any response...

Sorry to see you didn't get what you ordered, but it's good that it does the job. Strange that you didn't receive any response...

Yeah, I had heard great things about them, from other complaints that I have read it seems that they are a mom & pop outfit that is doing all they can to keep up with the orders. I hope it works out for them, no hard feelings, was just a hassle. Thanks for the compliment on the gun.

I got received the same extension you did RT green i guess i didn't look that close to the pic on the website. I was able to get a hold of the guy and had a back and forth e-mail with him today about fitment issues here is the last response I got from him.

Date: Mar 6, 2014 4:36 PM
Subject: Re: Function issue with order #:13722]
To: "Chris Esser" <c.esser83@gmail.com>
Cc:

chris
we have had a few customer out ofthe 100,s of these we have sold that have
had this issue.
Mossberg are not doing a great job of keeping the consistency of the
length of the mag tube.
When I talked to Mossberg about this, they said that the length of the mag
tube of the 5 shot 590 and 590a1 can be + = or - 40 thou of an inch.
That's not good to here I told them, there advice as to use a rubber O
ring or to take a flat file and file down the top of the factory mag tube.
They also said as that parts not threaded it makes no difference if if you
need to go back to using the factory mag cap.

Im not happy with the answer, I talked to the company that makes this kit
at shot show and the yare also having issues with the different length
factory mag tubes http://www.adaptivetactical.com/AT05100.php
they have changed there install instructions to say some mag tubes "May
have to be sanded down a few thou"

we are looking right now at what we can do to try and find a middle
ground when we make out may tubes, this does not happen very much, but
seems to be a bit of a problem for sum
do let us know
simon

> Here is a picture of the gap. The extension is screwed down as far as it
> will go. The mag tube is screwed into the receiver from the factory so
> would assume its in spec if you would like I can get a picture of that
> area
> as well

> On Mar 6, 2014 4:13 PM, <sales@sjhardware.com> wrote:
>
>> chris
>> is the mag tube screwed down all the way?
>> do you have a gam where the mag tube fits against the barrel lug?
>>

>>
>> > Hello, sorry to bother you again but is it normal to have a small
>> amount
>> > of
>> > back and forth play in the barrel with your extension attached? will a
>> > washer work as a shim?

For what its worth I filed the mag tube down to where the the threads started and it helped but I still had to put a rubber washer in to tighten it up

For what its worth I filed the mag tube down to where the the threads started and it helped but I still had to put a rubber washer in to tighten it up

I wonder if S&J had this issue with their Gen1 design. I noticed that my barrel had some play when I installed the Gen2, I'll check it out tonight an see if I need to file the tube down a little.

Hi everyone, simon for S&J hardware,we don't get on this sight much, as it has been noted we are a small shop, an we try to make high quality products.
What has happened here is a simple case of making a products too well...
Let me explain.
This new batch of mag tubes, we made on a new machine, as well as it being much faster we managed to tighten up a few of the specs
we have a handful of Mossberg shot guns in the shop and we test load each mag tube before its packaged.
It seems that Mossberg have a very loose spec on the mag tube, as i say we talked with them and we also went to a few gun sops and tried on our mag tubes, it was hit and miss as to weather the mag tube will screw down all the way, it seems we need to allow more lead on last thread to allow for mossbergs loose/ no spec.
Again this is not happening to all of them.
we are offering returns on anyone that has one of the new units that is out the 1 /16th on an inch.
the tubes are about 1/16 the an 1/8th long, im not sure what happen but again can be returned if that an issue.
we are also going to bore and ream the mag tube another 100/125thou deaper to allow for non standard leanth 2 3/4 12ga shells
Last thing, we really ,really need more US dealers, we had a bunch a few years ago but they all went under and closed.
60% of our sales last year went to the US.
We can service our customers much faster if we had a few US dealers willing to stock our bigger products.
1 you save on shipping, 2 you get it faster.
we offer goo mark up for a very high quality product line, that being used by police and Mil all over the world, that not just and "internet story" our Mossberg , Remington and fabarm products and seen action is Astan, Iraq, Jordan mexico. in use buy 100,s of police agancys all over the world, as we don't have many export restrictions o n our products , being made in Canada.
we always look forward to feedback .
Our main goal is to make the best in class of these product, stuff you can best you life on. be it a 2 legged or 4 legged problem.
Last thing is the follower
we are out of the Mossberg follower, the are .900 and the Remington ones are .910 aproxx
Anyone that can hook us up with a US dealer willing to "stock" some or all of our items, please have them contact us by email and we will sent up a call sales@sjhardware.com
You don't need to be an FFL to sell our products, we are just looking for a few good people that Can get our product out to US customers faster.
all of our products come in full retail packaging

Thanks
Simon Beeson
Partner
S&J Hardware Inc
sales@sjhardware.com
www.sjhardware.com

Thanks for the heads-up Simon!

We know you guys are busy, so we appreciate you taking the time to drop in. It really means a lot...

Back