• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Stock Options

Hi all, new to the forum (this forum is awsome by the way). Just bought a new 590A1 12 ga with a 20" barrel. The stock is the one that holds the 4 extra shells. I notice that after a very short time my arm (operating the pump) gets tired. It is obvious to me that the problem is the LOP is too long. I have to fully extend my arm to an uuncomfortable position. In looking at other stocks to solve this problem I am thinking of ATI. Can anyone tell me the differences between ATI models A.1.10.1140, 1155, 1160 and 1195? I think 1155 comes with a forearm but Im not sure. Thank you all.

Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new Mossy.

As far as ATI goes they are a member and vendor here. They will answer any ATI question you have.
Great CS.
viewforum.php?f=100

Just got an email response from ATI. Ordered the 1145 (with the forearm) and because of this site, i got a 10% discount.

MODIFYING THE MAGPUL SGA STOCK ON A 590

I had seen this from two other posters, but I can't find their pics, so here is mine.
Limbsaver does not yet make a recoil pad to interface directly with the Magpul SGA Stock for the 590. However, there is a backdoor way into putting one on. In addition to the Limbsaver part (10101), you purchase a MagPul 870 OEM Butt-pad adapter ($11 bucks at Amazon). This adapter plus the Limbsaver interfaces perfectly with the Magpul SGA Stock.

My pic below shows my final stock setup (plus I show the original Magpul SGA butt-pad adapter above it). LOP = 13.5" (with two of the Magpul spacers) which I think is about optimum for most people. This is the middle setting, so you can add 1 or 2 more spacers or remove 1 or 2 based on your build and preference.

DSC04065_zpsb038e620.jpg

While the original Magpul recoil pad is much softer than the OEM Mossberg pad, the Limbsaver is softer still. I also like the way this pad fits my upper arm/shoulder compared to before.
IMO, this is a sweet setup.

Last edited:
MODIFYING THE MAGPUL SGA STOCK ON A 590

I had seen this from two other posters, but I can't find their pics, so here is mine.
Limbsaver does not yet make a recoil pad to interface directly with the Magpul SGA Stock for the 590. However, there is a backdoor way into putting one on. In addition to the Limbsaver part (10101), you purchase a MagPul 870 OEM Butt-pad adapter ($11 bucks at Amazon). This adapter plus the Limbsaver interfaces perfectly with the Magpul SGA Stock.

My pic below shows my final stock setup (plus I show the original Magpul SGA butt-pad adapter above it). LOP = 13.5" (with two of the Magpul spacers) which I think is about optimum for most people. This is the middle setting, so you can add 1 or 2 more spacers or remove 1 or 2 based on your build and preference.

DSC04065_zpsb038e620.jpg

While the original Magpul recoil pad is much softer than the OEM Mossberg pad, the Limbsaver is softer still. I also like the way this pad fits my upper arm/shoulder compared to before.
IMO, this is a sweet setup.

I did the same thing during the summer... Love it! Here's a pic from the original post: 590A1 w/ Magpul MOE & SGA

My favorite stock so far! Very comfortable to shoot but there are downsides to a PG stock on a 590A1. I think the shooting comfort may outweigh the negatives of the reaching for the slide stop and safety.

14" 590A1 with Choate Mark 5 stock, 13.5" LOP, approx 33.25" OAL. Hogue 12" LOP stock felt a little too cramped for me. Also have the ATI Talon stock to try.

MossbergChoate_zps74535b96.png

Looks great.

The PG might take some get'n used to, but with a little practice reaching the action release and safety become second nature. I find it easiest to operate the release with my thumb and the safety with my index and middle finger. It's the best work-around I've found and requires the least adjustment to your grip...

Re: Conventional Stocks with 13" LOP?

I took my 590's stock to the table saw. Shortened it by quite quite a bit.

Bolt holes line right back up deeper into the stock?
They appear to be straight out from about 12" so I'm assuming yes but just wanted to confirm. I'd like to turn my factory length back to 13" also

TIA

Bolt holes line right back up deeper into the stock?
They appear to be straight out from about 12" so I'm assuming yes but just wanted to confirm. I'd like to turn my factory length back to 13" also

TIA

Had mine sawed off to a 13" LOP. Bolt holes are straight.

Does anyone know if the 500/590 from Mossberg that come with the MAGPUL furniture, if they use the newer MOE M-LOK forend rather than the older (being phased out) MOE?

The word I got is that Mossberg will continue to use the old MOE style Magpul forend and that there's no planned changes to upgrade to the M-Lok. So if you're wanting to buy a shotgun in the next couple of months, it'll probably be the MOE. I'm not sure when Magpull is officially pulling the plug on the MOE but it will probably be soon, it's heavily discounted on their website. For me, I just ordered the newer M-Lok style for about $25 and will install it when I get the shotgun then sell my old one.

Is there a certain length screwdriver I should have in order to remove OEM stock on my 590? Doing a makeover on mine and not sure

I think on the forend, I used a file that fit in the grooves and pushed down and it turned. But on a forend that covers the nut, I don't know how that would work.

Back