• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Stock Options

Re: 590 LOP and Hogue

The length doesn’t have an effect on felt recoil, weight does. The lighter of the two will have more felt recoil but I don’t know if you could ever tell because the weight difference shouldn’t be too much between them. Usually people have to put a small bag of shot or something in the stock to add enough weight to tell. Also the butt pad, whichever one has a softer but pad will feel better. I suggest you get a Limbsaver butt pad since your only complaint is the recoil and not length

The only way I can see LOP affecting perceived recoil is if you can't get a good, comfortable grip on the gun. If the LOP is too long and your arms are overextended, then you definitely won't be able to employ the proper fundamentals or techniques to manage recoil. If you feel like the stock is too long for you, then go for the short LOP. I have one on my 590a1 and love it.

Re: Converted my 590 Cruiser

Yeah, I'm lookin forward to tryin it out. I wanted something compact and this thing is tiny! Here's a photo for size reference...

We'll see if it can hold up to the punishment of a 12 gague.

Lasy Eye, what is your build? I'm 6'2 about 230, and my Remington 870 fits me like a glove with the factory wood stock. The Mossberg just seems too long and I sometimes find it hard to mount well on my shoulder with it beeing so long (LOP).

Glad to seee you made it!

I agree with both Oli and Lazy here. The LOP wont change the recoil as Oli mentioned, but a shorter LOP will allow you square up behind the gun and therefore better transfer the energy of the recoil, or as Lazy said, employ the proper fundamentals.

Square up your stance behind the gun, good solid contact with the butt, support hand pushing forward against the forend, dominant hand on the trigger pulling the stock back to you. Recoil will feel greatly reduced.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Georgian !!

+1 on what these guys have said... ;)

Well, I feel the reason why I cannot properly get behind the gun and mount it properly to my shoulder to allow the enegery transfer more smoothly is becuase of the length of pull. When I shoulder my 870, it comes naturally to my shoulder and I find I do not have to re-position it at all on my shoulder. With my 590, I find that 50% of the time I am having to re-position the shotgun on my shoulder after mounting.

Georgian said:
Lasy Eye, what is your build? I'm 6'2 about 230, and my Remington 870 fits me like a glove with the factory wood stock. The Mossberg just seems too long and I sometimes find it hard to mount well on my shoulder with it beeing so long (LOP).

I'm 5' 8" 'n about 185 and much more comfortable with the 12" LOP. I'm able to tuck the butt into my shoulder a LOT more easily and it feels much more natural than the factory stock.

sf2hogue.jpg

That's the difference between the Hogue and the standard 590 stock.
It can help with recoil if you shoot more squared up, which the short LOP stock will allow you to do. I'm 6'2" with a 37" sleeve and I have no problem shooting the short LOP.

If I recall correctly, there's a full three inches of defference (15"/12") between the OFM stock and the Hogue short LOP.

*New Product-ATI Zombie Stalker Akita Stock

Mossberg Owners, check out our brand new Zombie Stalker Akita Stock! Let us know what you think!! Stock made using the Akita adjustable stock our exclusive DyeHard technology to embed the Zombie image.

What do you think?

Thanks
ATI

Attachments

• Zombie_milkman.jpg
    Zombie_milkman.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 956
Re: *New Product-ATI Zombie Stalker Akita Stock

Joker.gif

When they said zombies might take over I didn't think they we talkin about marketing!

Graphics look awesome. Looks like a great option for somebody who's REALLY into the zombie thing. This stock set-up and a couple boxes of Hornady Zombie Max and they'll be ready for the apocolypse!

I can't say I would put one on my shotgun but I would not be surprised that they will be a top seller. I wish ATI would be able to get the "reaper" pattern.

Brad, something new for you to add to the Christmas list ! I'm waiting for Bigfoot Hunter

I have a few thoughts on this. I like it! It looks cool!

I'm hearing some very good things about the Akita stock! However I feel, and just my initial thoughts here... that the advantages/benefits/gains of the Akita may be lost on some of crowd this is being marketed too, or the target audience who would be interested. I dont believe the target audience for this is more experienced shooters... uhh, seasoned or "older" maybe? I think the 18 to 25 crowd?

Admittedly, I havent looked at the retail cost of it yet, but does it cost more than the Akita W/O the graphics? If so, the responsibility of explaining the benefits of the Akita stock rest squarely with ATI. Selling a less expensive stock with the graphics I'm certain wouldnt be difficult at all, heck, the graphics alone may sell this anyway! :D

I saw your grouping, but you have any pics with it on your 590? Or did I miss them somewhere? :oops:

Here are some pics of the Mini Shot mounted. I posted these up in the product review section, but forgot to update the post here...

Back