• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

Ok gents. I decided to install my XS Big Dot today. I removed the old bead and cleaned everything up. Then I discovered that if you have big hands and fingers you can't start the new bead! I've tried wrapping it with electrical tape to give me more to hold to and using small pliers(gently) to no avail.

I'm open to suggestions. :brick:

Not being smart, but you do have the correct threaded bead?

I'm not certain what mossbergs are, but I think they are 3-56 tpi, Remington are 6-48 tpi, etc.

Ok gents. I decided to install my XS Big Dot today. I removed the old bead and cleaned everything up. Then I discovered that if you have big hands and fingers you can't start the new bead! I've tried wrapping it with electrical tape to give me more to hold to and using small pliers(gently) to no avail.

I'm open to suggestions. :brick:

I had the same problem. I finally took a pair of regular pliers, and held the bead so the threads were straight out from the end of the pliers. I finally got the thread started. It was a PITA, but don't give up.

I'm not certain what mossbergs are, but I think they are 3-56 tpi, Remington are 6-48 tpi, etc.

Pretty sure Mossberg front bead is 5/40 tpi.

I have what XS sent so I hope so but not sure.

I had the same problem. I finally took a pair of regular pliers, and held the bead so the threads were straight out from the end of the pliers. I finally got the thread started. It was a PITA, but don't give up.

I messed with it until I had blood starting to come out my ears. I'll try again later. :)

You're probably right Old Mossy.

Maybe it's Winchester that uses 3-56.

It all kinda runs together after a while.

If you purchased the XS Big Dot set for the Mossberg (like I did) then you have the correct bead for the Shockwave. You need to change the bead and use the XS bead so it will fit into the base of the Big Dot when you epoxy it onto the barrel.

I have what XS sent so I hope so but not sure.

I messed with it until I had blood starting to come out my ears. I'll try again later. :)

I had a similar moment of frustration. The larger bead that comes with the Big Dot does not have a base with flat edges for putting a tool on it. The factory bead had a great little 1/4" hex base that made it easy to remove with a standard 1/4" driver.

I didn't mess with finding a "trick" or proper tool for very long. Remember: the new bead is about to get permanently covered in JBWeld. So grab the little bastard with a pair of pliers or vice grips and don't be afraid to mark, deform, or scratch the surface of the bead. You'll never see it again. Just make sure you start the threads correctly to avoid stripping. I actually used a dab of blue locktite, too. Not because I wanted a thread locker, but because I wanted to lube the threads to make it easier to torque down with the vice grips I was using. Wet locktite is slippery stuff for metal threads before it cures.

I also taped my barrel with masking tape as I was installing the new bead. Then removed it before JBWelding. Just in case I slipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried again yesterday for a few minutes with no luck. While having my coffee this morning I had an idea. (better late than never) I held the bead under a lamp and examined it closely with my bi-focals. :) The threads are fubar. No wonder it wouldn't start. :(

I wonder if you could smooth off the threads and use some JB Weld to put it in the hole. Let it sit over night to dry, and then mount the Big Dot with JB Weld.

A friend of mine has an indoor range/gun store and is a gunsmith. I'll check with him and see if he has a bead like this Monday while I'm in town.

If not XS will send me one. They are good people.

Just make sure that the new bead fits into the base of the Big Dot so the Big Dot will fit flush to the barrel.

Morning all. Great threads here on the SW. I just got mine. Can't ever leave well enough alone so the mods began immediately. Mossberg heat shield, Magpul fore end and hand stop. Pic rail on the fore end for my Streamlight and on the receiver for a laser even though the one that's on it will probably not be the one. Side saddle just because. Enhanced safety and appropriate cap screw for that. I also drilled the grip and installed a QD cup for the sling as I didn't really care for the swivel stud. I also removed the swivel stud on the front and replaced it with a cap screw as I pretty much swear buy single point slings. Have the GG&G billet follower but have not installed it yet. Looking to upgrade the laser if anyone has ideas on a compact one.

Back