• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

Buds Gun shop questions... I posted in support at their location: (I am not affiliated in any way with Buds Guns Shop. I order weapons from them from time to time)

Tom396 (I'll send you pics of the bear I shoot with slugs from a 5 yard distance.. No... No... I'll arm the bear... no... I have the right to bear arms. or the bears gets my arm which is it??!? I'm confused...) :)

Mr. XXXX,

A customer support staff member has replied to your support request, #XXXXXX with the following response:

Thank you for contacting BudsGunShop.com, we appreciate having you as a customer.

This firearm would be able to be sold to anyone who lives in the state of Kansas, yes.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know!

Kindest Regards,

BudsGunShop.com

Buds Gun shop questions... I posted in support at their location: (I am not affiliated in any way with Buds Guns Shop. I order weapons from them from time to time)

Tom396 (I'll send you pics of the bear I shoot with slugs from a 5 yard distance.. No... No... I'll arm the bear... no... I have the right to bear arms. or the bears gets my arm which is it??!? I'm confused...) :)

Mr. XXXX,

A customer support staff member has replied to your support request, #XXXXXX with the following response:

Thank you for contacting BudsGunShop.com, we appreciate having you as a customer.

This firearm would be able to be sold to anyone who lives in the state of Kansas, yes.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know!

Kindest Regards,

BudsGunShop.com

14c0f057abec6dabfc5be48cbbd0d904fef889a8781eee66.jpg

Bro. I'm stoked. Hope they start shipping soon, I have my place in line.

Is it classified as a "pistol" such as a Mare's Leg? o_O Maybe the bird's head grip gives it just enough length to be compliant?

View attachment 14290

Nope, not a pistol either.

Lack of rifling in the barrel and a caliber larger than .50 exempts this firearm from classification as a pistol. Yes, the raptor grip puts this configuration 1/2" over the minimum legal length requirement. A regular, angled pistol grip would put it under 26" which would constitute an AOW and then be subject to the requisite NFA registration process and $5 tax stamp...

Awesome, Sparkey. I think we'll be okay. I'm probably going to take mine over to my buddy's place in Abilene to shoot, I probably won't bother bringing it to most public ranges since I'm sure the probably won't like a pistol grip shotgun.

O.M.G ! he called it a shotgun :eek:

The only problem I see with this is it is listed with the grip as "non-removable". Well that kills the idea of stamping it and having a easy "build" of a SBS.

You know, it can only be so non removable. At some point plastic meets metal and there are only so many ways to accomplish that.

I'm pretty sure that the raptor grip is removable and a shoulder stock can be installed physically speaking but not lawfully speaking, unless you tax stamp it to be a SBS. (similar to having a AR pistol and converting to SBR) By legal definition on a federal level this is not a shotgun until a shoulder stock is installed on it. Shockwave Technologies had been using that loop hole for a while before Mossberg ever put this out Shockwave Tech. sold a kit to convert other pistol grip only models into this same configuration (since it never had a shoulder stock as well it was never classified as a shotgun). Using the raptor grip to keep it above 26" oal and a lug with cap so you could cut down the barrel and magazine tube to convert it to what I assume is a 14" barrel thus keeping it a non-nfa item. As long as the OAL is more then 26" and no shoulder stock was ever installed according to federal law does not make a shotgun and there is no limitation to how short the barrel can be as long as the OAL is still more then 26". Mossberg seemed to had got wind of this conversion and found a better fit and finish solution. Since Mossberg already produced the proper barrel, magazine, forend & tube for a 14" barreled sbs they started buying the raptor grip from Shockwave Tech. and producing this model. I love the fact that Mossberg was open to the idea and the niche that this fills. Not sure if Mossberg actually sought out Shockwave Tech., or Shockwave Tech brought the idea to Mossberg, but either way it's great to see them collaborate. Shockwave Tech. still sells the parts to convert existing PGO models to this configuration if any of you already have one.

Shockwave Tech. Mossberg parts page.
http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=14

BTW this is all just stuff I found researching in regards to the subject. Even though things may be legal on a federal level it may not be on a local level. Just thought I'd make sure to mention that.

Last edited:
Anyone get theres yet? This is getting ridiculous. Mossberg needs to stop screwing around and get these things shipped ASAP. There is virtually no R&D with this design. The pistol grip is already in series production and the forend is already in production and the barrel is just shorter. No excuse for them to delay this thing for so long, blue balls.

Back