• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

Rico, were you on your tractor today? You always write inspired posts that I really enjoy reading. Your way with words is much better than mine. Thank you for another great post. You have become sort of the unofficial historian for the Shockwave.

:)Thanks Mark.
I spend a lot of time toting Stogie around the farm. It's a compact, powerful package that I have grown quite fond of.
I hope more folks will join our forum and post pictures and comments on their Shockwave.
I get a lot of enjoyment watching others modify the Shockwave.

Rico, you have been using and carrying your Stogie quite a lot. What do you use for carrying and how do you mount the case or wear the case? I agree that Mossberg has made a formidable weapon. It is not heavy, even when fully loaded and it packs a serious punch out to 30 yards or so.

Stogie is either in my hand, on my sling or in the golf cart/pickup truck. With my foregrip and sidesaddle, I can't use a scabbard.
I bought the Voodoo Breacher scabbard early on, but it is too small and sloppy. I don't know what I will do with it.

Monday I was able to shoot my Shockwave again for a little bit. Again, the heat shield did not move under recoil. I did have a problem with the quick disconnect rail riser I had mounted my C5L on. I was shooting from a low hold and on one shot I was unable to see the green laser. The QD lever on the rail riser came loose (unlatched) and the laser/riser set was on the ground. I need to find a rail riser with a locking lever to keep the riser in place under recoil.

Here is the mount that came loose.

View attachment 16113

Here are two risers with locking levers. The American Defense is the best but is a little costly. The AD mount can be had for about $70. I'll try the cheaper riser first for $10.88.

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/106/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-QD-Quick-Release-Scope-4-Slots-Mount-Adapter-20mm-Rail-Picatinny-Weaver/162573872096?_trkparms=aid=555014&algo=PL.DEFAULT&ao=1&asc=41376&meid=e2c6368c5db64a809c815a5dc893e9af&pid=100508&rk=1&rkt=1&&_trksid=p2045573.c100508.m3226

I received the new QD rail and mounted it to the Shockwave. I'm confident that this one will stay in place because the release lever locks closed and the adjustment screw also locks in place. All for a little over $10. I want a QD riser so, if the laser/light fails, I can remove it quickly and use the Big Dot. Here are some photos.

Fist, the old QD rail that shot loose.

100_0389 (Small).JPG

100_0390 (Small).JPG

Here is the new QD rail.

100_0399 (Small).JPG

100_0398 (Small).JPG

100_0397 (Small).JPG

Here is the link to the new QD rail.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162573872096
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162573872096

Last edited:
I'm glad to see you have found a mount that locks. That should be a secure setup.
Ten bucks is a heck of a deal.

Mark, that's a nice looking scabbard, and it works well with your laser. The price is good too.
It looks roomy enough to accommodate a side saddle. I will surely keep it in mind. Thanks.

That's a good looking scabbard. Especially for the price.

I ended up buying a pair of Mossberg Shockwaves, one for me and one for my wife. I had originally intended on leaving my Shockwave stock but after seeing all the great modifications that many of you have done with your Shockwaves I decided to take the plunge.

First up I removed the stock sling mounts, they didn't suit my needs so they had to go.

Next up I replaced the stock front bead with an XS Big Dot tritium front sight; acquiring a good sight picture is so much quicker vs. using the stock bead that every Shockwave owner should consider this a 'must have" upgrade. The XS Big Dot was very easy to install, I used JB Weld to attach mine.

ardgtht.jpg

I was very disappointed with the stock plastic safety on the Shockwave as it seemed "slippery" to use in the heat and humidity of the Florida sunshine so I replaced it with the Promag PM262 safety. The Promag provides a more positive tactile feel due to the aggressive metal edges and central ridge; there should be no compromise when it comes to the safety. Replacing the safety was a bit of a pain due to the Mossberg OEM one way screw and the tiny parts (ball bearing and tiny spring) within the safety; check out the YouTube videos and take your time, you can do this! I chose to replace the stock safety screw with a hex head machine screw both for looks and the ability to service the safety without battling that one way screw again.

ereytrytry.jpg

I decided to do something unique, to really make this amazing Mossberg Shockwave mine! I own a Benelli M4 with a collapsible stock; while doing some research on the Benelli M4 family I found pics of the Benelli M4 M1014 Limited Edition with the US Flag on the receiver and decided to copy that look. I took my Shockwave to a trophy shop that specializes in laser engraving and dropped it off (they have an FFL) and a few days later I had my US Flag marked Shockwave in hand. My wife had a wolf laser engraved on the side of her Shockwave.

rturyu.jpg

I really wanted some sort of scabbard type case to carry my Shockwave but was unable to find one that I really liked. I remembered that I had picked up an odd sized canvas bag on one of my deployments to Afghanistan (I actually found it sitting on top of a dumpster, brand new in the bag) and started digging through my mountain of gear; after a few hours I found it. This canvas case seems to have been made specifically to hold my Mossberg Shockwave as it is a perfect fit. I Googled the numbers on the canvas case and it shows that the case was designed to hold a spare barrel for an M240 Machine Gun. The end flap of the case closes and is secured using a metal buckle; the back has a long strap that enables you to sling it over your shoulder. I haven't been able to locate any more of these canvas spare barrel bags online; if you want one you might try some military surplus stores near you or perhaps a gun show. I'm actually thinking about showing this spare barrel bag to someone that works in leather and having a few made in tan leather.

uykuiui.JPG
tyrtuhtry.JPG

tryrtyrt.JPG

The final modification for my Shockwave was doing something to fix that incredibly slippery (Florida sun, 95F, 10,000% humidity) pistol grip. Once again you'll notice that I am a minimalist when it comes to modding something; rather than going full bore with a stippling job I chose to wrap my pistol grip in self fusing black tape. Guys, buy this specific tape and no other; unlike most self fusing tape which is thick and shiny this tape is thin and has a dull matte finish; you can make it even thinner during the installation by increasing the tension on the tape as you wrap the grip. Sorry, no pic, the tape arrived the day before I deployed to Afghanistan again (I'm in Jalalabad right now, anyone else here?) and taking a pic was the last thing on my mind. The self fusing tape is only $8.99 and you can find it here:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Rubber...using+Electrical+Tape+-+33+Feet+x+1+inch+wide
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Rubber...using+Electrical+Tape+-+33+Feet+x+1+inch+wide
That's all for now, thanks for looking. Mods, thanks for showing the Mossberg Shockwave some love and giving it its own sub forum.

John A., thanks for showing me how to post pics here.

First, thank you for your service. Watch your six. It's people like you who keep us free.

Nice changes on your Shockwave. The laser engraving is very interesting. I can see Rico engraving his avatar on his "Stogie". Do you recall what the cost of the engraving was? Again, take care and thank you.

You're very welcome sir. It's my pleasure to help.

And has already been said, thank you again for your service. There are a lot of veterans on the board. You'll fit in quite well.

Kalashnikitty, you warm my heart sir.
First you buy a Shockwave for you and your wife.....Awesome dude.
Then you don't hesitate to start making changes that suit you. The idea of going to an engraver for personalizing is also Awesome.
Then to write us from Afghanistan is beyond Awesome.
I extend my heartfelt welcome and pray for your safety.
Keep in touch.

Sniffler, you da man!!
You put a big smile on this old guys face.
Please tell me where I can get one of those t-shirts.

I ordered the coffee mug, and two more for friends recovering from surgery. Thanks for the link.

Back