• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

Black Aces Tactical has this semi-basic model. It appears to be a modified Mossberg receiver. Imagine this receiver (with drum mag) in a Shockwave format. That would be awesome.

http://www.blackacestactical.com/_p/prd3/2535039031/product/magpul-standard

Edit: I checked the magazine page and I saw this statement:

"All serialized items such as receivers and complete shotguns require an FFL to be sent to us prior to shipment. All local and state laws of the customer apply."

Kind of implies they sell sell virgin receivers. Someone should try to get a virgin receiver and build a Shockwave with the larger mag. I can't.

Last edited:
Let's make our own movie. My movie will be a time travel flick and Adriana Lima will be my co-star.
The reason for the time travel theme is because I'm an old man, and I'll have to go back in time to keep up with this beauty.
Hope I don't forget my Shockwave.
Adriana-Lima-Different-Looks.jpg

My $329 Brownells special came in. I haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet, but I’m already looking at ways of changing the way the handstrap is attached to put the screwheads outside of the loop.

My $329 Brownells special came in. I haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet, but I’m already looking at ways of changing the way the handstrap is attached to put the screwheads outside of the loop.

I would suggest reading all 30 pages of this thread. There is a ton of info here on what was tried and what worked and what didn't. It will help guide you with your decisions on what to do.

After a number of years w/o shotguns of any kind (owned numerous Rems/Mossies in the past, even a HS Model 10 [wish I'd kept that one]), purely on a whim I purchased a Mossberg Shockwave as a b-day present to myself.
I did *not* anticipate liking it so much that I'm selling the 870 Police Magnum I purchased shortly after the Shockwave (after the Shockwave, a full-size shotgun seems "meh"). Neither recoil nor shooting it accurately are very difficult once you've got the technique down (best friend is retired LEO and can't believe I fire 00 through it).

Anywho, fast-forward to today, and after much experimentation my Shockwave now sports an XS Big Dot, GG&G modded Magpul forend (w/MagGrips panels, M-Lok rail & paraclip loop), GG&G side saddle w/QD mount, Magpul MS1 sling, an S&J follower & MFT Torch 20 lumen light* (see attached pic).

I'd experimented w/the factory corncob (had to reverse the ends of the strap for comfort), wanted a Hogue overmolded forend to work (and it does fit w/the adapter, but the bbl lug is too close to allow the action to close), tried a Tri-Star side saddle, single point sling and using the factory sling swivel studs (experimentation can get pricey, but sometimes there's no other way to find out what you need to know) to arrive at its current configuration.

I'd thought about replacing the factory safety, but since I rarely use it (cruiser ready w/safety off) I've decided not to pursue that option right now.

Using a two point sling works best for me (although some may not like the location of the paraclip loop) and hangs well. I need to practice reloading more but so far it looks like it's going to be either hold at low port while reloading w/the firing hand or similar but w/the grip pressed into my stomach (need more range time to decide).

*The only question remaining at this time involves the light. As seen in the pic below, the Torch is perfectly located to be quickly/easily activated w/the support side thumb while remaining low profile and lightweight.
Unfortunately, even mounted as far forward as possible, recoil causes the rail to painfully impact the tip of my thumb. Moving the light/rail to the 3 o'clock position eliminates that problem but makes the light slower & more difficult to activate. I tried a larger/brighter Streamlight TLR-1 there and it's easily activated both momentary & constant-on w/my forefinger, but is of course heavier & definitely not low profile (so which would you choose, the MFT Torch or TLR-1?).

Tomac

ETA: I plan on taking a local shotgun class w/the Shockwave and have put together a modular chest rig (see 2nd pic) using the AmmoPal shotgun shell dispenser (10rds of 2.75" each), we'll see how this works out.

ETA2: I found shells to be too tight in the GG&G side saddle for my taste until I applied a little plumber's synthetic silicone grease to the rubber friction bar where it contacts the shells.

PA100004s.jpg PA130002.JPG

Tomac, I love the way you have worked with this.
I am amazed how such a seemingly simple gun allows for so much innovative leeway for the users. Well done!
index.php

index.php

You have been busy Tomac. I bet you’ve been having fun too.
I prefer to place the grip into my stomach when loading.
As for questions on light choices, I can’t help you, but others may be able to give an opinion.
Have fun at the shotgun class, but you may want to use the safety while in the class. I always use my safety.
Congratulations on a cool looking Shockwave.

Scoop: Thx! I usually know what I'm trying for when I set out to mod a firearm, but sometimes what I want isn't physically possible. :brick:

Rico: Yeah, I've been busy, one of the few benefits of being slightly OCD is focusing on a project until it's finished to my satisfaction (like the Shockwave, which went smoother than some of my projects! ;)).
I completely agree about using the safety during classes, still undecided as to whether I want to replace the factory safety w/something else.
While I'm very happy my Shockwave turned out looking as good as it did, I'm more of a 'form follows function' guy, I'd rather have a very practical firearm that may not look the coolest than an unwieldy/impractical firearm that everyone drools over (again, the Shockwave turned out better in the looks dept than many of my earlier projects!).

I'm still undecided as to which light to keep on the Shockwave, I'll play w/both until I make a decision (local range is 24/7 unsupervised so I can do night shoots for testing purposes :D).

Regardless, I am *so* glad I went w/the Shockwave, my only regret to date is buying the 870 afterwards! :oops:

Tomac

Back