• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

So far I have mounted Brownells metal safety button, XS Big Dot sight, and got the Voodoo Tactical Breacher Scabbard. As expected, the safety button and the Big Dot are extremely good upgrades to the weapon, while the scabbard is not to my liking. I was forewarned by DarkPassenger308, but I needed something reasonably priced to keep the gun in while riding in the truck. I don't want the end of the barrel grinding in the sand on the floor. I never heard back from Voodoo where I suggested a 22" scabbard. I did find a damn fine one in leather....but I can't justify buying it. ($200 from Aussie Saddle Company) I showed the Shockwave to the Chief of
Police. He was not aware of it, and answered my questions, which were, it is okay to carry loaded with shells in the tube and the pipe in my truck, and if I have a CCW, it can be concealed in the vehicle (under a shirt as an example). However, I believe the BATFE will not accept concealed carry. It then becomes another weapon. I'm still waiting on a sling and a follower. AussieSaddleCompany.jpg

Rico,
That's one cool leather holster. You could do a lot with this but for $200 bucks it's not worth it. It's probably better to use a lever gun with a "mares leg" style stock.

If you get down to it the shockwave is cool but as a primary personal defense firearm it offers no advantage over a pistol.

That being said I want one!!!!

I don't want the end of the barrel grinding in the sand on the floor. I never heard back from Voodoo where I suggested a 22" scabbard. I did find a damn fine one in leather....but I can't justify buying it. ($200 from Aussie Saddle Company)

I like the looks of that Aussie. I wonder if it's wide enough for a pump action forend? I didn't see anything that indicated it would fit a pump. Photos look like it would fit a break action or lever action.

This will require a bit more research. But even if it did fit, you're right about the cost. Hard to justify a scabbard that's 50% of the cost of the gun you're holstering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll look into mare's leg scabbards Jmm, and DP is correct, we have to consider the pump fore-end on the Shockwave. I wish the aftermarket would pay attention and introduce the correct scabbard. How are sales of the Shockwave? Are they popular enough for scabbard manufactures to be interested?

I'll look into mare's leg scabbards Jmm, and DP is correct, we have to consider the pump fore-end on the Shockwave. I wish the aftermarket would pay attention and introduce the correct scabbard. How are sales of the Shockwave? Are they popular enough for scabbard manufactures to be interested?

I gotta believe the accessories industry is noticing. Especially when you consider the back order volumes and wait times the Shockwave had when it was first released to retail. Add to that, the fact that Remington is selling a competing gun based on their 870 platform. Not sure why Rem isn't using a 14" mag tube with their 14" barrel, but for whatever reason the Rem Tac-14 has a 4+1 capacity instead of 5+1. So it's starting out with a pretty big disadvantage over the Mossberg, despite both being 26" long overall.

Anyway, back to my point: Between Mossberg's and Remington's sales, I hope accessory manufactures see enough of a demand to justify a purpose-built scabbard.

I just changed my follower to the GG&G brand. I think it is smoother loading, you can easily feel if the magazine tube is empty, and it is red in color for quick visual check.
Is this change necessary? Absolutely not. Am I being a bit obsessive....maybe, but I like it. It does NOT reduce magazine capacity on the Shockwave.
https://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-590-shotgun-follower.html

Also, comparing the Shockwave to Remington's Tac-14: I prefer the safety location and the action lock lever on the Shockwave.

I just changed my follower to the GG&G brand. I think it is smoother loading, you can easily feel if the magazine tube is empty, and it is red in color for quick visual check.
Is this change necessary? Absolutely not. Am I being a bit obsessive....maybe, but I like it. It does NOT reduce magazine capacity on the Shockwave.
https://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-590-shotgun-follower.html
Rico,
You put whatever you want on it man. I also like the GG&G follower but I've not gone there yet. I have 3 Mossy PG's so I usually have to purchase in threes.

I'd like to hear your experience with it to help me make my decision and "pull the trigger" on the purchase!:)

Jmm, I can't add any more than what I already stated, so why don't you try one before buying three. Last time I looked they are selling for five bucks less than what I paid. I like the product, it is very well made.

View attachment 15424
Hey Forrest,
If you use the Voodoo Breachers scabbard, which is the closest fit for the Shockwave, the trigger and receiver are still exposed. (see picture) I am looking for a scabbard that allows only the grip to be exposed. I could lay anything down on the floor, and I have, but, I am looking for a scabbard. Actually it needs about 3 1/2 more inches. My original 2" comment was based on an estimate before my scabbard came in the mail. It's nothing more than my opinion on what I would like to have for my truck and to throw over my shoulder so I could draw it like a Crocodile Dundee knife while walking through the woods. How do you like your Shockwave?View attachment 15421
Voodoo Tactical Breacher Scabbard2.JPG

Last edited:
Surfing the web I found this birdshead grip. I think it is made by Magpul. I sent them an email and they said they had nothing for the Shockwave. I believe this is the Remmy Tac14 for the Suarez Stakeout. I'm not sold on the grips, but it's nice to see something different.
STAKEOUT854__18328_1487998926_1280_1280.jpg Suarez-Stakeout-870-0601__07924_1497381301_1280_1280.jpg

Anyone have opinions of a side saddle on a Shockwave? I reckon it would encourage me to shoot more and blow through my grandkids inheritance quicker. They'll just piss it away, so why can't I?

Anyone have opinions of a side saddle on a Shockwave? I reckon it would encourage me to shoot more and blow through my grandkids inheritance quicker. They'll just piss it away, so why can't I?

For a fun range toy? You betcha. Have fun and blast away. A saddle might even make sense for a home defense setup for you.

But I didn't like it when I put a 4 shell saddle on mine. It was a No-Go for a scabbard. Which meant I ended up laying it down naked everywhere.

If you need both hands for something while in the woods, you're laying the gun down in the dirt (since it can't stand up on its own and can't fit in your scabbard), or you need to use a sling.

Personally, I don't want a sling on this gun, so that ruled out a side saddle for me.

I can see exactly what you are saying. I went through the similar thoughts, even though I have ordered a sling. I won't be as active as you so I thought I would try a sling as well as the scabbard. Again, it's the grand kids money. I'm sure it will come down to try everything that I like and then discard those things that aren't right. Just add to the pile of other disgarded gun items I have collected.

Your research is interesting, but I think over thought for the Shockwave.
I'm fine with 2 3/4".

I like that big dot. I am considering a big brass bead. I wonder how easy it is to remove when the time comes to replace the tritium...

It's as easy as heating up the barrel to 600 degrees for 10 minutes. Or using an angle grinder. Or a jackhammer. Or buying a new barrel. Haha.

In all seriousness, I considered it permanent when I installed mine thanks to the JBWeld. I could have used a less aggressive epoxy or adhesive, but then it wouldn't have held itself onto the underlying brass bead as well, and I didn't want it falling off under recoil.

The gun will obviously outlast the tritium inside the sight. I'll enjoy the glow for as long as it lasts. Once the day comes that it fades away, it'll still be a highly visible white dot. Either scenario is better for my eyes than the stock brass bead was.

Last edited:
Back