• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

I have a sling on my Shockwave. I don't want more straps.
However, why not make the strap on the rear grip from an elastic material that would cushion recall even more.

Although I haven't been able to get to the range to test it, the Recoil Strap isn't to cushion recoil. It seems more about allowing you to use more of your body to control recoil. The Shockwave is clearly a handful - on recoil, it wants to move rearward in your hand. The Recoil Strap should prevent that movement, so that rather than relying on hand strength, you can use your whole arm to absorb and mitigate recoil. At least, that's my take on it. I'll probably shoot after work tomorrow.

I would like to use sling plate between the grip and receiver also but the 20ga receiver is just a little narrower than the 12ga receiver so all the 12ga sling mounts will not fit the 20ga receiver.

Patience. It's a cut piece of metal. Someone's going to want to take your money soon. :)

Do you know what the length of the Breachersgrip is? Is it long enough to keep the required 26" overall length of the Shockwave?

I took a look at the Knoxx Breachersgrip for the Mossberg. Here is a photo.

https://op2.0ps.us/978-550-ffffff/opplanet-blackhawk-knoxx-breachersgrip-gen-iii-mossberg-500-k35002-c-bw-ggr-bgrp-k35002-c-main.jpg

At first look, it appears to be long enough to satisfy the 26" overall length requirement. I did call Blackhawk and asked if the Knoxx Breachersgrip will maintain the minimum 26" length. I was told that he would have to get back to me.

In any case, here are some measurements. Overall length of both my 12ga and my 20ga Shockwaves is 26 5/8". The length of the Raptor grip is 5 1/8". That means, if the Breachersgrip is 4 1/2" (4 5/8" preferred) then the Breachersgrip should be ok to go.

I wonder if the extension on the Breachersgrip might be too long and it may interfere with some positions when holding the gun or become a catch-point when moving. I had read in a review that it was a little heavy also. At this point, without holding either, I think the DC Recoil Strap may be the best for adding control to the Shockwave. I don't mind the recoil but the possible slippage bothers me some.

Holy hell this post went viral :) Very happy with the my two mossy Shockwaves.. Hope you and yours have a safe and prosperous new year! Merry Christmas!

Sparkey!

I saw the way the forearm strap was mounted in some of the videos with both ends of the strap at the rear end of the forearm. The Mossberg strap was too short for my needs so I used a $7.88 black nylon military belt for the 1 1/4" web strap. I used 11 1/4" of the strap for the 20ga and 12 1/2" of the strap for the 12ga due to the different sizes of the forearms. I used the soldering iron I used to stipple the forearms to melt the ends of the straps and to seal the edges of the holes to prevent fraying. Recall that my forearms are stippled on the ridges. That with the strap mounted in this manner helps me hold onto the gun. The strap rests along the web of the hand and helps absorb some of the recoil. The way the strap is screwed to the forearm eliminates any rough edges of the strap to hit the hand.

100_0442 (Small).JPG

100_0443 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
I wonder if the extension on the Breachersgrip might be too long and it may interfere with some positions when holding the gun or become a catch-point when moving. I had read in a review that it was a little heavy also. At this point, without holding either, I think the DC Recoil Strap may be the best for adding control to the Shockwave. I don't mind the recoil but the possible slippage bothers me some.

I suppose I better finish my review and get it published. Lol. The slippage is no longer an issue with the recoil strap. One of the key things I'll be mentioning in my review is that if you don't have the hand strength to hold the Shockwave's grip solidly, the Recoil Strap will help.

I suppose I better finish my review and get it published. Lol. The slippage is no longer an issue with the recoil strap. One of the key things I'll be mentioning in my review is that if you don't have the hand strength to hold the Shockwave's grip solidly, the Recoil Strap will help.

:) I`ll be keeping the strap on mine for sure, the first time I fired it pretty much iced that!

Next up for mine is some stippling.

Merry Christmas to All. May you have a healthy and prosperous New Year.

CCB and Elbert, You have both mounted and used the DC Recoil Strap. Do you think the strap can be installed over a Talon Grip Wrap? Or shoild I remove the wrap before installing the recoil strap?

Merry Christmas to All. May you have a healthy and prosperous New Year.

CCB and Elbert, You have both mounted and used the DC Recoil Strap. Do you think the strap can be installed over a Talon Grip Wrap? Or shoild I remove the wrap before installing the recoil strap?

I've got mine installed over Tractiongrips. That made the install a bit more challenging, but it can be done.

Thanks, CCB. I took a close look at the Talon Grip Wraps and there is a section of the wrap that can be easily removed for the fuzzy velcro tape. I guess the hard part will be connecting the cord around the grip with the small increase in size due to the grip wrap.

Checked the site. You will come to a page during checkout that asks you to log in or create a new account. I did an estimate on shipping to Delaware and it was $20.00 for 2 boxes of the buckshot. That added $10.00 per box to the cost.

Back