1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

Discussion in 'Mossberg 590 Shockwave' started by Sparkey70, Jan 31, 2017.

1. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

There's certainly nothing wrong with trying something different.

Sometimes that's the best way to find out what you like the best.
    Elbert Garrett likes this.
  2. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett 20g Supporter

Federal 7.5 shot vs Federal 4 shot....I put 2 loads on each target from 21ft.
    I`m surprised that the 7.5 performed better that the heavy 4 shot.
    So in close quarters where over penetration is a concern I would go with the 7.8 shot!

102_9143.JPG 102_9132.JPG

102_9140.JPG 102_9142.JPG

102_9136.JPG
    pepi likes this.
  3. Elbert Garrett

I ran some Federal #4 Buck and some 00 through the little SW this morning with typically good results....At 21ft the 00 produces a spread at about 4" and the #4 is right at 5". The 00 has 9 pellets and the #4 has 27 and both have a muzzle velocity of 1325 fps. Both loads have a little kick to `em but they`re easily controllable under recoil.

102_9166.JPG

SW 590.JPG
    pepi and Sniffler like this.
  4. Elbert Garrett

I ran some of Federal`s low recoil 1oz slugs through the SW this morning and they shoot soft and hit hard....

102_9199.JPG 102_9190_Moment.jpg blue hull .jpg
  5. Elbert Garrett

I ran some Fiocchi 2 3/4" low recoil 00 buck through the SW this morning. It throws a nice pattern in close quarters, about a 3.5" spread at 21ft....

102_9321.JPG 102_9324.JPG

Pops 1.jpg Pops 2.jpg
    Sniffler likes this.
  6. Sniffler

Sniffler .22LR

7. Elbert Garrett

Yes Sir, the SW is a little longer with the Knoxx Gen 3....Using this grip my accuracy is a little better and less awkward.
    Sniffler likes this.
  8. Sniffler

Sniffler .22LR

Thanks. I think I will give that a try.
  9. joshua.bringman

joshua.bringman .410

It is so frustrating to me that I can't buy this in Ohio. I was hoping with the governorship coming up for election that would have a chance, but seeing what we have available now no way.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
  10. MAINSAIL

MAINSAIL .410

I finally got time to take the shockwave out for some practice and patterning.

Winchester 12 GAUGE, 2¾", 1250 Velocity, 16 pellets #1 BUCK

First Pic is 10 yards

10Y.jpg

Second pic is 20 yards

20Y.jpg

The good news is I REALLY like #1 buck, and my home shotguns will be loaded with this round.

The bad news:
    - The heat shrink with O-ring on the grip does not work. Two shots and I cut it off- very uncomfortable.
    - The laser works well but was difficult to pick up in the very bright sunlight. So for indoor home protection it would be fine, but...
    - The mount in front of the fore-grip DOES NOT work for me. I fired only five #1 buck and five 00 buck shells before my thumb was bloody and throbbing. I tried to hold it out of the way but it doesn't work. The recoil slams the laser and mount straight back into my thumb and thumbnail. The mount will be coming off, and when my thumb heals I will re-attack. I have a police trade-in H&K USP inbound in a week or two, so I will need to get back to the mountains and I will try it again then.

But anyway, now we have pictures of what #1 buck looks like.

SwaveGripAft2.jpg
  11. Elbert Garrett

#1 throws a nice pettern!
  12. nippr

nippr Copper BB

Made a few additions to my 20ga.

[​IMG]

Meprolight tritium sight post.

[​IMG]

Shell carrier from brown coat tactical; https://www.browncoattactical.com/ They are one of the few places that offer 20ga specific carriers.

Also added a rubber sleeve to the grip. (tire tube) I just picked up a roll of Lizard skin bat tape that may replace it someday(saw it here). Haven't shot yet with the rubber grip.

[​IMG]
  13. pepi

pepi .410

Careful with that Shell carrier. I have one on my 12 gauge and the back shell worked it's way up and smacked me on my sunglasses. Didn't hurt but it could have been worse with buckshot LOL
  14. nippr

nippr Copper BB

Thanks for the tip. I plan to shoot it again this weekend. I'll load the carrier up and see what happens.
  15. r neville

r neville Copper BB

excellent ammo! I took those and flitecontrol 00 low recoil to Gunsite for a shotgun class. the instructors were particularly impressed with how tight the flitecontrol 00 patterned
  16. Ernst

Ernst .410

17. Elbert Garrett

18. Elbert Garrett

Just a couple of random SW photos....

102_9386.JPG 102_9383.JPG
    swsabre likes this.
  19. Elbert Garrett

Sniffler likes this.
  20. nippr

nippr Copper BB

Shot my 20ga over the weekend with the loaded carrier attached. The front round worked its way down, not up. :idk: