• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

I assume you’re asking about the heat shield. It was ordered by phone. To cover all bases, the light was ordered on the internet.
I still have not made up my mind as to how to mount the heat shield.

Dog

I took my Shockwave out the range to shake it down and zero the sight. I learned a few things that I needed to improve.

First, the position I had mounted the InForce light was a no-go. It was mounted at the front of the Magpul fore end on the left side. This makes it easy to thumb the light on and off, but every time I fire the shotgun, the light hammered the end of my thumb under recoil. Ouch! After about 10 shots, I had to take the light off to be able to continue. So, I moved the piece of M-lok rail and the light down to the bottom of the fore end. This is pretty much the same placement of the light on the SureFire DSF fore end. It turns out, I like this a lot better! Not only does it not beat up my thumb, but it is now more in line with he bore of the gun, almost like a sight. The light also no longer throws a big shadow from the barrel. Finally, it acts as a hand stop to keep my support hand from slipping forward under recoil.

The second change I made was to the safety. The safety I had installed had two problems: 1) it was difficult to reach and 2) it kept sliding onto safe under recoil. So, I replaced it with a Z-Wave safety. This one is easier to reach and came with a new bolt, which I'm hoping will stay put better.

The third issue I had was my own fault. On all of the accessories I installed, I trusted the thread locker that was already on the screws that came with the accessories. It turns out that I should have used my own thread locker. Virtually EVERY screw on the gun shot loose at the range! The screws holding the sight mounting plate, the stock adapter, stock, even the sling swivel inserts on the stock adapter! (In fact, the slig swivels inserts fell out and now I have tto see if TacStar will send me some new ones.) I removed and reinstalled every screw and bolt with blue Locktite. It should be nice and tight now!

So here's what she looks like currently:

49462311182_61cf1bc511_4k.jpg

On the bright side:

Once I got it zeroed in, the Holosun sight works like a charm! Getting on target is quick and easy, shot after shot.

Shooting mini shells with the Opsol Mini Clip was so much fun! Negligible recoil, lower flash, super fast follow-up shots, higher capacity... I wonder if these things are viable for actual SD duty? If they are, they're certainly an attractive option.

Ergonomics: The SB Tactical pistol brace is actually very comfortable to shoot with. When collapsed to it's shortest, the Shockwave is a very handy, maneuverable package. I really like the steep grip angle of the Magpul MOE-K grip.

Last edited:
I took my Shockwave out the range to shake it down and zero the sight. I learned a few things that I needed to improve.

First, the position I had mounted the InForce light was a no-go. It was mounted at the front of the Magpul fore end on the left side. This makes it easy to thumb the light on and off, but every time I fire the shotgun, the light hammered the end of my thumb under recoil. Ouch! After about 10 shots, I had to take the light off to be able to continue. So, I moved the piece of M-lok rail and the light down to the bottom of the fore end. This is pretty much the same placement of the light on the SureFire DSF fore end. It turns out, I like this a lot better! Not only does it not beat up my thumb, but it is now more in line with he bore of the gun, almost like a sight. The light also no longer throws a big shadow from the barrel. Finally, it acts as a hand stop to keep my support hand from slipping forward under recoil.

The second change I made was to the safety. The safety I had installed had two problems: 1) it was difficult to reach and 2) it kept sliding onto safe under recoil. So, I replaced it with a Z-Wave safety. This one is easier to reach and came with a new bolt, which I'm hoping will stay put better.

The third issue I had was my own fault. On all of the accessories I installed, I trusted the thread locker that was already on the screws that came with the accessories. It turns out that I should have used my own thread locker. Virtually EVERY screw on the gun shot loose at the range! The screws holding the sight mounting plate, the stock adapter, stock, even the sling swivel inserts on the stock adapter! (In fact, the slig swivels inserts fell out and now I have tto see if TacStar will send me some new ones.) I removed and reinstalled every screw and bolt with blue Locktite. It should be nice and tight now!

So here's what she looks like currently:

49462311182_61cf1bc511_4k.jpg

On the bright side:

Once I got it zeroed in, the Holosun sight works like a charm! Getting on target is quick and easy, shot after shot.

Shooting mini shells with the Opsol Mini Clip was so much fun! Negligible recoil, lower flash, super fast follow-up shots, higher capacity... I wonder if these things are viable for actual SD duty? If they are, they're certainly an attractive option.

Ergonomics: The SB Tactical pistol brace is actually very comfortable to shoot with. When collapsed to it's shortest, the Shockwave is a very handy, maneuverable package. I really like the steep grip angle of the Magpul MOE-K grip.
Warhammer,

that is a sweet little shooter. I like it so much I may shamelessly copy it for the most part as a home defense option!

Thanks, Jmm14534. I think I'm homing in on just the right setup for me.

I called Lyman/TacStar today and they are mailing me a replacement for the sling swivel pockets that fell out while I was shooting. Those will go in with some red Loctite and I'll never have to worry about them shooting loose again.

In a further quest for perfect ergonomics, I decided to try a Magpul AFG that I had lying around. I had to grind off the two lugs on the mating surface to get it to mount where I wanted. Otherwise, I would have had to mount it a full slot further forward than where it sits now. It gives me a more natural grip angle and a really secure purchase to allow for a strong pull to rack the slide. The only negative is that I don't really like how it love, but that's a very minor consideration if it works well. I'll have to get it to the range for some shooting before I can decide if I want to keep it this way.

49467314557_f0d1566bcd_4k.jpg

I retrospect, there are a couple of things I would have done differently.

First, I wouldn't waste the money on the Big Dot bead. With the Holosun mounted on the KE Arms mounting plate (which I love, btw) the Big Dot is pretty much useless. It looks pretty sitting on the end of the barrel, but I would have to remove the KE Arms mount to get any actual use from the bead.

Second, is the way the Magpul forend mounts. I bought one that was already modified to fit the Shockwave. This was easier than going the DIY route. However, if you DIY it, you can make it fit a little further to the rear. (Some have even complained that the forend overlaps the receiver.)
49466614303_2a3369762e_4k.jpg

As you can see, when the slide is all the way back, there is still about an inch of space between the forend and the receiver. I think that getting the front hand back a little more would be more comfortable. Also, the front of the forend sits far enough forward that it would interfere with using some accessories, like the GG&G sling mount, that fit under the magazine cap. I may take a look at my existing Magpul forend and see if I can modify it to sit about an inch further to the rear.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jmm14534. I think I'm homing in on just the right setup for me.

I called Lyman/TacStar today and they are mailing me a replacement for the sling swivel pockets that fell out while I was shooting. Those will go in with some red Loctite and I'll never have to worry about them shooting loose again.

In a further quest for perfect ergonomics, I decided to try a Magpul AFG that I had lying around. I had to grind off the two lugs on the mating surface to get it to mount where I wanted. Otherwise, I would have had to mount it a full slot further forward than where it sits now. It gives me a more natural grip angle and a really secure purchase to allow for a strong pull to rack the slide. The only negative is that I don't really like how it love, but that's a very minor consideration if it works well. I'll have to get it to the range for some shooting before I can decide if I want to keep it this way.

49467314557_f0d1566bcd_4k.jpg

I retrospect, there are a couple of things I would have done differently.

First, I wouldn't waste the money on the Big Dot bead. With the Holosun mounted on the KE Arms mounting plate (which I love, btw) the Big Dot is pretty much useless. It looks pretty sitting on the end of the barrel, but I would have to remove the KE Arms mount to get any actual use from the bead.

Second, is the way the Magpul forend mounts. I bought one that was already modified to fit the Shockwave. This was easier than going the DIY route. However, if you DIY it, you can make it fit a little further to the rear. (Some have even complained that the forend overlaps the receiver.)
49466614303_2a3369762e_4k.jpg

As you can see, when the slide is all the way back, there is still about an inch of space between the forend and the receiver. I think that getting the front hand back a little more would be more comfortable. Also, the front of the forend sits far enough forward that it would interfere with using some accessories, like the GG&G sling mount, that fit under the magazine cap. I may take a look at my existing Magpul forend and see if I can modify it to sit about an inch further to the rear.
Thanks for the tips Warhammer.

Mossberg customer service tells me that they do not make any accessories for the Shockwave 410. Any aftermarket making anything? I am looking for a Quad rail and tri-rail forend.

I have a Shockwave 410 and haven't found any aftermarket accessories yet. I was looking for a sidemount shell holder but no luck (well I may have found one that attaches with velcro). Good luck with your search and if you find anything, please post your results.

I received the TL-Racker today. I haven't gotten to shoot with it yet (hopefully tomorrow) but I really like it. It's really well thought out.
49554206073_3c692d4b3a_4k.jpg

The grip feels similar to the AFG I had before, but the angle is more natural and the way it fills my palm feels just right. For the Shockwave version of the TL-Racker, Streamlight adde more of a hook to the area just behind the light, giving a very positive hand stop. They also added swivels and a hand strap for those who are worried about their hand slipping off. The combination of ribs and texture give a really good grip without being overly aggressive.
49554904452_d52598fd27_4k.jpg

The activation strips fall very easily to hand; a quick press turns the light on and another turns it off. Holding the switch a little longer activates momentary mode and releasing it turns the light off again. Streamlight increased the light output from it's original 850 to 1000 lumens for this second generation TL-Racker. The beam is a good medium spread between spot and flood.
49554170378_4f4728300d_4k.jpg

The battery compartment is sealed with an o-ring and holds 2 CR123 batteries. The cap is plastic and has a notch that is VERY OBVIOUSLY sized to allow you to use a quarter to turn it if the cap gets stuck. I can't tell you have many idiots I've seen on Youtube who have buggered up the cap trying to turn it with a flathead screwdriver (facepalm).
49554170313_a56762770b_4k.jpg

The provisions for the hand strap are pretty well thought out, even if the strap itself looks and feels cheap. If I was planning to leave a strap on my gun on, I would replace it with a woven paracord strap. Since my Shockwave has a pistol brace and a front sling mount, and the TL-Racker has a built in hand stop, I'd really have to try to get my hand out in front of a live round. I don't like how the strap catches my hand and require extra movement for me to get my support hand back to the breach area to load a round. I'll be taking it off post haste.
I still don't think the TL-Racker looks as good as the Magpul MOE, but it's not as ugly in person as I thought it looked from the pics I saw before I bought it. Or maybe the great fit, feel and function is making it look better to me that it would otherwise. I guess the ultimate beauty is utility when it come to an HD/SD tool.

Warhammer,
How does this new hand guard work for you? It looks funky but functionality trumps esthetics in a system like this.

Not Warhammer but here is my 2 cents,

After running the light for a few weeks now ( half dozen practice at 200rds per), take batteries out for day time practice as light is easy to turn on, after install forend is a little tight at rear position (barrel thickness on some guns), I did not trim it, just ran the gun (10 rds and all was good), light is very bright in the house, outside I can easily and clearly see my barn that is 50 yds from the house, on the range at night 100yds is good, 50 and in is outstanding. Removed the strap for no other reason than it gets in my way getting back on the forend, your hand sits on the rib area just the same as the stock one, the hook at front is lower than the grip area and will catch the hand if that is a concern. Better than the Surefire in this application.

I haven't gotten to the range with it yet, so I've been doing some dry fire and house clearing practice. My thoughts pretty much follow those of Caswell Ranch. The light is really bright (1000 lumens). It's easily enough to identify targets inside the house and certainly blinding when pointed at you (make sure you don't point it at a mirror, lol). The longest unimpeded shooting lane in my house is about 50 ft. I can clearly see the beam hitting the wall at the other end, even with other lights on. In the dark, this forend lights up everything between me and any potential target.

I didn't have any tightness at the rear of mine when installing. That probably varies a bit for each installation. I removed the strap and I feel that is a big improvement. Again, since my Shockwave has a pistol brace, you'd have to try really hard to get a hand in front of the muzzle while shouldering the firearm. It was nice to see that Streamlight backed up the screws for the straps with nylock nuts, rather than just running screws into the soft plastic. It's a small detail, but speaks to the quality of the forend. I agree with CR's opinion that this is a better design than Surefire's. The fact that it costs half as much is pretty nice, too!

Back