• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

Here are companies I have contacted trying to encourage aftermarket grips: Hogue, ATI, Extreme and Esmeralda. I also wrote to Mossberg asking for a low profile ball cap with Shockwave on the front and Mossberg on the back strap. I also contacted Voodoo requesting a scabbard that will fit the Shockwave. Reckon you can tell I have too much time on my hands.

Esmeralda makes some awesome wood grips, mostly for 1911's. She could have really pimped out a Shockwave, but no such luck.

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, Esmeralda does not make grips for your model. In order to produce a new set of grips she has to make templates & jigs specifically for that model handgun. Being a one woman show she is currently backed up on the models she currently makes.
She hopes to be able to incorporate some new models in the not too distant future. I am sorry we could not be of more help to you.

Sincerely,
Priscilla A.
Executive Assistant

Here are the photos, I promised yesterday:

New rubberized Talon Grips
1.jpg

Close Up, Left side
2.jpg

Top View
4.jpg

Bonus Photo, newly added XS Big Dot sight too
3.jpg

ProMag enhanced safety is next, post 4 July, that will do it for mine!

I wonder if Hogue will introduce a birdshead with a rough rubber texture similar to what you have? It might look good with a matching foregrip.

I'm still tinkering with the Shockwave. I decided to try a side saddle only because I am tired of carrying extra shells in my pocket.
This is the GG&G. The quality is exceptional. It is made of a high quality aluminum and all mounting parts are included. It has a very well designed mounting system. I have NO experience with the various loading techniques using a side saddle, so, I will spend time watching videos and practicing. Any advice is appreciated. Oh yea, I played with a photo chop program to add some contrast. :cool:
Shockwave with GGG Sidesaddle photochop2.JPG

Last edited:
I'm still tinkering with the Shockwave. I decided to try a side saddle only because I am tired of carrying extra shells in my pocket.
This is the GG&G. The quality is exceptional. It is made of a high quality aluminum and all mounting parts are included. It has a very well designed mounting system. I have NO experience with the various loading techniques using a side saddle, so, I will spend time watching videos and practicing. Any advice is appreciated. Oh yea, I played with a photo chop program to add some contrast. :cool:
View attachment 15514

Here's a great place to start with learning how to load from a side saddle. Muscle memory is paramount. Gotta be able to do it in the dark by feel. That takes repetition. And using live ammo to develop those skills ain't a good idea.

I have 12ga snap caps that have lead shot in them so they are accurately weighted. And they're clear plastic, which doesn't match the color of ANY of my live 12ga ammo. Try to find a color that isn't also in your live ammo inventory. For me, that was clear plastic.

Practice, practice, practice. And when the wife complains, go practice some more in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost forgot: reloading from a side saddle sucks when you don't have a shoulder stock. You've probably already discovered that. Most reload techniques get thrown out the window with a pistol grip or birds head grip.

I found myself holding the receiver with my left hand (upside down) and using my right hand to push shells into the mag tube. So for me, it wasn't any faster to grab them from a side saddle vs a pocket. Combined with scabbard fitment issues, I ditched the side saddle the same day I installed it.

Almost forgot: reloading from a side saddle sucks when you don't have a shoulder stock. You've probably already discovered that. Most reload techniques get thrown out the window with a pistol grip or birds head grip.

I found myself holding the receiver with my left hand (upside down) and using my right hand to push shells into the mag tube. So for me, it wasn't any faster to grab them from a side saddle vs a pocket. Combined with scabbard fitment issues, I ditched the side saddle the same day I installed it.

So, I was thinking (which can be dangerous for me) about using the side saddle. What you described is perfectly natural for me as I'm left handed. I would normally hold the Shockwave grip with my left hand so reloading means I just rotate the Shockwave upside down and use my right hand to remove the shells from a side saddle and to load them into the loading port. I would consider upside down loading in the side saddle so all I would have to do is just pull the shells up out of the saddle when the weapon (not a shotgun!) is in position for reloading. No excessive movement. This would be un-natural for a right handed shooter and would require that shooter to switch hands holding the Shockwave grip before loading. This is another example of where "practice makes perfect". Create the muscle memory needed to finish the reload under duress.

Today I received the Talon grip wrap, enhanced safety, Big Dot sight and the Opsol mini shell adapter. I'm just missing one thing - MY SHOCKWAVE! It seems that Pametto State Armory has up to a 10 DAY delay in shipping ALL firearms. I have never run into this with all my firearm purchases. The firearm is usually shipped in one or two days. I also tried to call their "customer service" line. After 5 tries with about 50 minutes wasted, I still did not get an answer. I sent an email so maybe I'll get a response. I got a good price but the delay and, so called, customer service are very bad. Ordered on 7/27 (stated in stock) and I've heard nothing. Rant over.

Last edited:
I sent a request to Aim Pro Tactical to consider making a heat shield for the Shockwave. I received this reply today:

"Thanks for your inquiry. We currently fabricate a custom heat shield for the 14" compact barrels. We need your barrel for the installation, (they are drilled and tapped into your barrel lug).

they are $169 plus shipping. Current lead time is 4 weeks."

I'm sure that the heat shield is a quality product, as is all of their products, but it's too high a cost for me.

Yep, it has been unnecessary for me (thus far). I've never felt like my grip was loose enough on the forend to worry about my hand slipping off, even under rapid fire fun times at the range. I tend to believe the front strap is unnecessary if/when practicing or having fun at the range.

I can't really predict how I'll react, or how hard I might rack the action in an emergency. I guess it might be possible to shoot your left hand off in stressful emergency shooting situation. I'm not using my Shockwave for home defense. I just use mine when traveling on foot thru Alaska bear county. I've left the front strap on mine, only because it doesn't hurt me to keep it, doesn't add any weight, and who knows...maybe it'll provide some functional use if the day should ever come that I need to fire the gun under stress. Hope I never find out...[/QUOTE]

I've thought of taking it off too. I suspect it is a legal move on Mossberg's part to offset any potential lawsuit. I think I would have to be racking very aggressively to allow my hand to slip off, but what if my hand were wet? In the mean time I keep looking for a strap that looks more to my liking. I've got snap caps on order, and will try out the side saddle loading techniques when they arrive.

Last edited:
I've thought of taking it off too. I suspect it is a legal move on Mossberg's part to offset any potential lawsuit. I think I would have to be racking very aggressively to allow my hand to slip off, but what if my hand were wet? In the mean time I keep looking for a strap that looks more to my liking. I've got snap caps on order, and will try out the side saddle loading techniques when they arrive.

Agreed that it's most likely there thanks to a lawyer. The KSG bullpup shotgun has a documented history of removing at least a few fingers. Don't google that on a weak stomach.

As for holding just the strap while loading...be careful with that. Holding it by only the strap has a tendency to point the muzzle up towards your own head. At least it did for me. It also has a tendency to close the action under its own weight if it was open.

I've found the most secure and safest way for me to load the gun is to simply keep my shooting hand on the grip. Trigger finger indexed on the receiver. Muzzle straight down. Push shells into mag tube with my left hand. It's by no means a stable platform for loading. But it keeps my muzzle in a safe direction, and it keeps my hands away from hot metal.

I put the bird head grip in my gut while loading which keeps the barrel pointed away from me.

I like that. I like that a lot. Best justification I've heard for growing a beer belly. My wife won't take kindly to my new beer drinking habits, but I thank you for the inspiration.

"Can you pick up beer at the store, honey? I need a bigger belly so I can reload faster."

At 6 foot, I wear 34-34 pants, and weigh 196 so beer belly is not a part of my lifestyle, however, I do enjoy beer. Always glad to be an inspiration....:p

Question on a sling.

What are your thoughts on using a sling loop between the receiver and the Raptor grip and then a singlr point sling there?

Back