• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

At that price it should be “Geez” rather than Beez.
I have seen it on the internet but thought it looked too big.
The Voodoo is definitely not suitable for your intended use, and I can see where the Beez will be more secure for carry and draw. The dimensions sound perfect.
It will be worth the extra money if it does what you want.
We’ll be looking for the pictures. Good luck.
(My light mount is in production, so I won’t have it for a couple weeks.)

Bummer! :( As expected uPS tried to deliver yesterday but FFL was normally closed. UPS should have delivered today but the FFL was closed today also. He should have been open but no dice. I do hope that all is well with him. Anyway, UPS will attempt to deliver again tomorrow. Hopefully, the FFL will be open and I can pickup the Shockwave.

I am not actually replying to any of the responses in this thread....but figured I would ask a question of all with Shockwave 590s...

I have attached a Single-Point Mount to my Shockwave. I have installed a GGG-1981, which is the pin and nut that go through and replace the receiver-pin. I find the nut abrasive on the hand when shooting many rounds. Has anyone put a GGG-1429, the wedge between the birdshead grip and receiver and had good luck with it? Before I go ahead and purchase one, I want to know if it is compatible with the Shockwave? Anyone?

No reason it wouldn't be compatible. The Shockwave uses a standard 590 receiver, and the GGG-1429 is built for the 500/590. The Shockwave Raptor grip is manufactured to fit the standard 590 receiver, not the other way around.

The Shockwave's receiver doesn't have any modifications to it whatsoever that would make it incompatible with the huge array of aftermarket accessories for the 590 reciever.

That being said, I suppose you might bump into an issue with the grip screw being too short for the wedge? If so, that's easily solved with a trip to any hardware store.

I haven't tried the sling mount, personally, so I don't have an opinion on its functionality. I like it from what I've seen online, though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No reason it wouldn't be compatible. The Shockwave uses a standard 590 receiver, and the GGG-1429 is built for the 500/590. The Shockwave Raptor grip is manufactured to fit the standard 590 receiver, not the other way around.

The Shockwave's receiver doesn't have any modifications to it whatsoever that would make it incompatible with the huge array of aftermarket accessories for the 590 reciever.

That being said, I suppose you might bump into an issue with the grip screw being too short for the wedge? If so, that's easily solved with a trip to any hardware store.

I haven't tried the sling mount, personally, so I don't have an opinion on its functionality. I like it from what I've seen online, though!

I just got an e-mail from GG&G, the mount manufacturer. They tell me it will not fit, only their GGG-1981 will fit the Shockwave. Back to the drawing-board.

I just got an e-mail from GG&G, the mount manufacturer. They tell me it will not fit, only their GGG-1981 will fit the Shockwave. Back to the drawing-board.

Wow, I'm really surprised to hear that. I can't imagine a way in which it wouldn't fit, but it would fit on 590 receivers with standard shoulder stocks or pistol grips.

That almost makes me want to buy one just to figure out why. By God, I'll make the bugger fit with an angle grinder or some JBWeld. Or both.

Wow, I'm really surprised to hear that. I can't imagine a way in which it wouldn't fit, but it would fit on 590 receivers with standard shoulder stocks or pistol grips.

That almost makes me want to buy one just to figure out why. By God, I'll make the bugger fit with an angle grinder or some JBWeld. Or both.
The gent that responded is Brant Sabau, Sales Director of GG&G. I do not know why the other mount will not fit. I was under the impression that the 590 Shockwave utilized the same receiver as the stocked-590. Learn something everyday.....I did e-mail Mossberg to ask them if the birdshead-grip and the regular stock have the same dimensions for fit. We shall see what they have to say.

The gent that responded is Brant Sabau, Sales Director of GG&G. I do not know why the other mount will not fit. I was under the impression that the 590 Shockwave utilized the same receiver as the stocked-590. Learn something everyday.....I did e-mail Mossberg to ask them if the birdshead-grip and the regular stock have the same dimensions for fit. We shall see what they have to say.

I smell a GG&G lawyer. I suspect GG&G is hesitant to say it's compatible because of the wording in the ATF determination. The ATF specifically said the Mossberg Shockwave is legal, based on the sample firearm that Mossberg submitted to them for review. The ATF also said that they could change their minds if the grip configuration changed, if the construction materials changed, if the color of the sky changed, etc.

When it comes to recent firearms that hit the retail market, the Shockwave was one of the most mysterious in terms of "How is this thing legal????" I wouldn't be at all surprised that the good folks at GG&G said "The grip is what makes the gun legal. We ain't touching that grip. Leave it alone."

That's all speculation on my part.

What ain't speculation: The 590 Shockwave is built on a standard 590 receiver. See pic below. An antique Mossberg 500 buttstock fit my 590 Shockwave perfectly.

Mossberg did not tool up new receiver blanks, etc for their Shockwave model. In fact, it's called the "590 Shockwave" because that's the name of the company that manufactures the Raptor grip. Shockwave has been making the Raptor grip for years, and lots of people have purchased them separately and put them on their standard 500s and 590s.

I took the Raptor grip off my Shockwave and replaced it with one I made by hand from wood using an antique 500 full buttstock. They all use the same standard dimensions and are all interchangeable (which makes it super easy to commit a felony, by the way).

One of the great things about the Shockwave is that it's a very economical way to build your NFA short barreled shotgun. You can buy a Shockwave cheaper than you can build one (using a 14" barrel kit). So a lot of people are buying a Shockwave and immediately applying for an NFA tax stamp so they can put a full shoulder stock on it.

I'm one of those people. I just bought a second Shockwave last week so I could SBS it. I plan on putting a Magpull SGA buttstock on it once my stamp arrives.

Keep in mind, the 14" configuration with a bird's head grip has always been legal, so long as the gun is a minimum of 26" over all. It was legal before the NFA passed in 1934, and it was legal after the NFA went into effect. Nothing changed. Mossberg simply never made one from the factory in this configuration. Other companies, such as Asylum Weaponry, purchased 590 receivers, 14" barrels and Shockwave Raptor grips, then assembled them under their own brand and sold them as the "Gatekeeper" firearm. They wouldn't have been able to do that if they needed Mossberg to manufacture custom spec receivers just for the Raptor grip. It would have been cost prohibitive. And Shockwave Technologies would have never been a commercial success if they made a Raptor grip that didn't fit a standard receiver.

I'd bet my next paycheck that the GGG-1429 will fit, because any standard Mossberg 500 or 590 buttstock fits. If the GGG-1429 has any issues at all, it would be that you might need a longer grip screw. I needed a longer grip screw for my wooden Raptor grip because of the depth that the wood buttstock's screw orifice was drilled out. Not a big deal. The allen bolt you see in the top pic is the original bolt that came with the plastic Raptor. It was too short for my wooden version of the Raptor. So I just used the original buttstock screw that came with the wood stock. That's a 36 year old buttstock and screw from a Mossberg 500. And it fits just fine. The screw is ugly and chewed up, but it fits.

Oh, and if the ATF is reading this: The wood buttstock below was cut down to a rough raptor grip shape BEFORE I ever attached it to my firearm, so you can kindly kick rocks. No felonies were committed during the modification of this firearm. Nothing to see here, please move along.

exGPsHo.jpg

UeRYCt6.jpg

I smell a GG&G lawyer. I suspect GG&G is hesitant to say it's compatible because of the wording in the ATF determination. The ATF specifically said the Mossberg Shockwave is legal, based on the sample firearm that Mossberg submitted to them for review. The ATF also said that they could change their minds if the grip configuration changed, if the construction materials changed, if the color of the sky changed, etc.

When it comes to recent firearms that hit the retail market, the Shockwave was one of the most mysterious in terms of "How is this thing legal????" I wouldn't be at all surprised that the good folks at GG&G said "The grip is what makes the gun legal. We ain't touching that grip. Leave it alone."

That's all speculation on my part.

What ain't speculation: The 590 Shockwave is built on a standard 590 receiver. See pic below. An antique Mossberg 500 buttstock fit my 590 Shockwave perfectly.

Mossberg did not tool up new receiver blanks, etc for their Shockwave model. In fact, it's called the "590 Shockwave" because that's the name of the company that manufactures the Raptor grip. Shockwave has been making the Raptor grip for years, and lots of people have purchased them separately and put them on their standard 500s and 590s.

I took the Raptor grip off my Shockwave and replaced it with one I made by hand from wood using an antique 500 full buttstock. They all use the same standard dimensions and are all interchangeable (which makes it super easy to commit a felony, by the way).

One of the great things about the Shockwave is that it's a very economical way to build your NFA short barreled shotgun. You can buy a Shockwave cheaper than you can build one (using a 14" barrel kit). So a lot of people are buying a Shockwave and immediately applying for an NFA tax stamp so they can put a full shoulder stock on it.

I'm one of those people. I just bought a second Shockwave last week so I could SBS it. I plan on putting a Magpull SGA buttstock on it once my stamp arrives.

Keep in mind, the 14" configuration with a bird's head grip has always been legal, so long as the gun is a minimum of 26" over all. It was legal before the NFA passed in 1934, and it was legal after the NFA went into effect. Nothing changed. Mossberg simply never made one from the factory in this configuration. Other companies, such as Asylum Weaponry, purchased 590 receivers, 14" barrels and Shockwave Raptor grips, then assembled them under their own brand and sold them as the "Gatekeeper" firearm. They wouldn't have been able to do that if they needed Mossberg to manufacture custom spec receivers just for the Raptor grip. It would have been cost prohibitive. And Shockwave Technologies would have never been a commercial success if they made a Raptor grip that didn't fit a standard receiver.

I'd bet my next paycheck that the GGG-1429 will fit, because any standard Mossberg 500 or 590 buttstock fits. If the GGG-1429 has any issues at all, it would be that you might need a longer grip screw. I needed a longer grip screw for my wooden Raptor grip because of the depth that the wood buttstock's screw orifice was drilled out. Not a big deal. The allen bolt you see in the top pic is the original bolt that came with the plastic Raptor. It was too short for my wooden version of the Raptor. So I just used the original buttstock screw that came with the wood stock. That's a 36 year old buttstock and screw from a Mossberg 500. And it fits just fine. The screw is ugly and chewed up, but it fits.

Oh, and if the ATF is reading this: The wood buttstock below was cut down to a rough raptor grip shape BEFORE I ever attached it to my firearm, so you can kindly kick rocks. No felonies were committed during the modification of this firearm. Nothing to see here, please move along.

exGPsHo.jpg

UeRYCt6.jpg
I received another response from GG&G. They said that their end-plate is not compatible with the Raptor grip on purpose. They said it is due to the chance of the shooter's hand sliding forward under recoil with more ease than without the end-plate installed. The gent responding said it makes the grip too straight by adding the end-plate. I, too, feel it is a liability-issue on their part. I may just have to order one to see for myself. We shall see.....

Thanks for the add-on. I am mystified as to why GG&G is taking this route in their response. As I said, I may just have to order their GGG-1429 and see how the fit is myself. If nothing else, it can be used on my son's stocked 590.

The ATF also said that they could change their minds if the grip configuration changed, if the construction materials changed, if the color of the sky changed, etc.

:D:D:D

GG&G may be worried that the hand holding the Raptor grip may slide forward under recoil possibly injuring the hand by the protruding part.

GG&G may be worried that the hand holding the Raptor grip may slide forward under recoil possibly injuring the hand by the protruding part.

That makes sense and seems very likely. My hand has slipped forward during rapid fire and I've felt the safety in the webbing of my thumb. I imagine making contact with the sling mount under recoil might be a bit more hazardous.

That brings up an interesting point: why not use a sling mount drilled into the butt of the grip instead? I like the design of the GG&G, but a classic sling drilled into the grip might be an easier/safer route.

My Shockwave arrived today. Quite nice. I added the Talon Grip Wrap and the Big Dot. I used Plasti-Dip to coat the ends of the strap in the forearm after I trimmed ans smoothed the ends of the strap. The strap ends won't bother my hand now when I shoot and it looks good. I also changed the mag follower. I used the Orgun follower.

http://www.or3gun.com/OR3GUN/about_or3gun_follower.htm

However, when I was putting the spring back in I heard that sound that no one wants to hear - "SPRONG". I have the mag spring but I think the retainer plug is still in orbit. I looked for 30 - 40 minutes and gave up. Now I know that the mag spring and follower will operate normally without the retainer plug. The mag cap will hold the spring in place. It is also easier to clean the mag tube without the retainer. You just have to be a little careful when you remove the mag cap. I'll call Mossberg tomorrow and order two of the spring retainers.

The ATF also said that they could change their minds if the grip configuration changed, if the construction materials changed, if the color of the sky changed, etc.

:D:D:D
I fully concur with your evaluation of this....one never knows.

What brought all of this on is that I am a cheapie. I wished to use my MagPul sling with QD mounts from my AR to use it on my Shockwave. I thought of going Single-Point and that is why I wished the GGG mount. Does anyone know of a supplier out there that makes a screw-in stud with the QD female-end on it that can replace the butt-stock. grip-stock, Raptor sling-stud?

.When I first encountered the spring retainer I was shocked. I strikes me as a cheap, un-necessary, pain in the butt item. I put mine back on in fear the gun might explode without it.....:eek:;):p

Here's the deal with tech branch.

I have a friend who is going to make a new upper receiver for a group of guns.

In order to do this correctly, he had to submit a sample for them to test.

They gave approval, but told him that if anything changed, he would have to submit the new upper with the design changes. Told him if even the material that he used was changed, any design change whatsoever, a new sample would need to be inspected.

I understand this to a certain extent because tech branch is signing off of the specific design they are checking, but I think it's a little silly for changing from a MIM cast extractor for instance versus a machined extractor of the same specs otherwise could change the classification, but that's how they've been doing it for a while.

They are also just short of 6 months for their turnaround times.

Need a little help. I did a good cleaning and breakdown to learn the 590. I found that I am missing something. There is a detent and spring on the barrel loop that goes over the mag tube. All I have is a hole - no spring and no detent. I called Mossberg and they are sending me a spring and detent for the hole. I'll need to stake it in place with a punch. No problem but I would like to see what the detent looks like installed. Would someone post a photo of their 590 detent so I can see how Mossberg did it?

I was using photobucket for photos but they have stopped third party hosting. I don't know of a way to post the photos at this time.

Edit: I took a close look at the hole and it's not that the detent came out - Mossberg never installed the detent and spring. The hole is clean. Whoever installed the mag cap didn't notice there was no "click" when they screwed the cap onto the mag tube.

Last edited:
Back