• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 shockwave loading techniques

michaelye168

Copper BB
New owner of the shockwave, I am wondering what are the good ways of loading. It is quite heavy holding it by just one hand. I have watched a couple of youtube videos.

The way I found it works for me is to use my right hand holding on the raptor and pointing the barrel up, then using my support hand doing the loads to the chamber first and then the magazine tube.

While loading, the safety is on.

Do I do it right?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

First and foremost, welcome to the forum. Not knowing your desired outcome hampers the correct answer.

However, many of us use the shockwave for either home or work defense. If that's your goal the gun is typically loaded with 00 buckshot in the magazine, the chamber is empty and the safety is off. This configuration maintains the weapon in a safe but ready posture. If a threat occurs you simply rack a shell into the chamber and you're ready to go.

Many also have a shell carrier installed on the weapon. Some are fixed mounted while others are Velcro cards. This allows you to carry 5 to 7 extra shells on the weapon. Your anticipated threat situation dictates the mix but typically a combination of buckshot and slugs is carried. The first shell most forward is normally carried brass up to facilitate "over the top" loading if the weapon runs dry. Others are carried brass down to facilitate "topping off" of the magazine on tthe move. As you expend ammo from the the magazine and the situation allows you can simply top off the magazine with your left hand and thumb with shells while keeping the front head sight pointed toward the threat and your right hand in a normal operational grip configuration.

This configuration and technique works well but you should experiment with inert practice shells to profect what's best for you.

If this doesn't answer your question please describe in detail what your desired outcome is. Folks here are very happy to share advice and many have decades of experience. Again welcome.

Regards

Last edited:
Back