• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590

Hello,

I have an old Mossberg 590 dated 1993-1994 that i bought second hand from an old friend. I did not find any information on mossberg website about my specific shotgun. I phoned them but they told me they did not have any records in their database since my serial number was too old.

My friend told me he shortened the barrel to 51 cm to have it flush with the magazine tube. And he mounted a rail on the receiver with a red dot. I did not like this configuration and i'm trying to put it back to its original condition when issued from the factory.
The gunshop that installed the rail messed up the receiver holes because they probably did not have the american threaded screws with the rail. They ended up re taping the holes and glued the rail. I really struggled to remove it.

I'm trying to figure out the what the original barrel length was since the friend i bought it from chopped it down to 20 inches to make it flush with the tube magazine.

Thanks for your help and information. Any pictures of mossberg 590 dated 1990's will help.
The serial number of my mossberg 590 is L411XXX. Hope that helps.

Regards,

Bishop

Guessing, the barrel was probably 22 or 24 inches if it was cut down to 20.

I can't think of any 590 models that had very long barrels.

I am not positive, but I have never seen a 590 that had a factory original barrel shipped that was longer than the 8+1 mag tube. Not sure that I trust the story.

What does the underside of the receiver say the model number is? Right in front of the loading port.

Thanks for your reply. Really appreciate. The underside of the receiver says mossberg 590 12ga.
Here are some pictures
IMG_0547.JPG IMG_0553.JPG IMG_0551.JPG
And i confirm the barrel has been shortened by the previous owner to be flush to the magazine tube. As a result there was no bead sight because barrel shortened. I'm trying to figure out what length was the original barrel of this shotgun but for now i could not get any confirmation.
If any one has a mossberg 590 dated 93-94 please post some pictures so i can see what it looked like when issued from the factory.

Thanks again for your help and attention.

Bishop ;)

If you confirmed the barrel was shortened by the previous owner, did you ask him how long the barrel was when he chopped it?

As I mentioned earlier, I can never recall a 590 with a very long barrel. Nothing over 20 inches.

To my knowledge, it is possible to use a Mossberg 500 barrel in a 590 receiver. One of the things that made the 590 "upgraded" version of the 500 was the thick wall barrel. And aluminum trigger pack.

The old guy i bought it from was quite old and said he did that years ago and doesn't remember unfortunately.
I might be wrong but i do not think a Mossberg 500 barrel can fit a 590 receiver due to the barrel lug attachment at the end of the barrel which is very specific to 590 and 590 A1. As said before i'm not 100% sure.
If i remember well the 590 has no thick wall barrel. Only the 590A1. Mine has not the heavy walled barrel.

OK, my apologies for putting out the wrong info. Then perhaps it was the 835 barrel that was compatible instead of the 500.

One of the things that makes a 590 is the heavy walled barrel.

590 has a thin wall barrel, and 590A1 is heavy wall. And of course the trigger guard/safety materials are different.

An 835 barrel would drop right on many 590 shotguns if the mag tube length is a match. The 8+1 version of a 590/590A1 and an 835 barrel I don't think is compatible. Also I don't think the 835 barrel ever came parkerized. So if the barrel on your 590 is parkerized and was originally longer I am at a total loss.

I'm completely lost too o_O
What is this "frankenstein" mossberg shotgun?
The only thing i know only the barrel has been shortened. Special order?
Any hints and suggestion are more than welcome !

That is a pretty good point oldmossy.

Regardless of what barrel length it USED to be, doesn't matter much now. All that is ancient history and water under the bridge.

Back