• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590A1 Locks Up After Firing

I have a 590A1 which "cycles" fine after cleaning and until I fire the same. Once I pull the trigger, the action locks up in total. If I take out the trigger assembly, reset the "hammer," and again install the trigger assembly, the action works fine until I again fire the trigger. Then again the action locks up in total. There must be a simple answer to this "weird" thing that is absolutely bugging me. As an aside, I am a Marine, but was only active 1966-1968 (Viet Nam). Regardless, because of that short service, I ended up 100% disabled. Still, I think I know and understand weapons, but this issue with my 590A1 is totally frustrating me. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate the same. USMC (Sgt E-5).

Is the safety engaging the trigger group properly? A full take-down and inspection might be a good thing to do, make sure the bolt and extractors are OK.

Is the safety engaging the trigger group properly? A full take-down and inspection might be a good thing to do, make sure the bolt and extractors are OK.

Thank you, Bobster. From my limited expertise, the bolt and extractors seem to be absolutely OK. I am wondering however if the the safety is not properly engaging the trigger group. As far as a full take-down, I have reduced everything to the least part, except for the trigger assembly itself. There is a Marine Corp armorer in town with his own business, so I will probably finally go there. As you mentioned, I wonder if the issue is that the safety is not engaging the trigger group properly. But, I cannot figure out why not ! Wish I had a an x-ray. I do not do well with frustration. But thank you !!

Oncemarine. I’m not sure if I saw it on this site or Youtube but there is a pretty good video showing the Internal mechanism for the Mossberg pump shotgun cycling and it’s done in “x-ray” mode so you can see what’s going on.
From your description you definitely have something going on. Did you buy new or used? If you purchased new I’d bring it back or call Mossberg.

Oncemarine. I’m not sure if I saw it on this site or Youtube but there is a pretty good video showing the Internal mechanism for the Mossberg pump shotgun cycling and it’s done in “x-ray” mode so you can see what’s going on.
From your description you definitely have something going on. Did you buy new or used? If you purchased new I’d bring it back or call Mossberg.
I think you mean this vid

Are you the same "onceamarine" that posted a lot at OA2?

If so, I would like to extend my gratitude that you joined this forum. I have missed you and seeing your beautiful engraving. I hope your family are all doing well. Sadly, I have lost touch with all my buddies over there after Rattler was laid off and the forum went down.

It honestly sounds like the action/slide/bolt is binding somehow.

The way the 500 works, everything pretty much works by tension from the bent pieces. Which makes it hard to diagnose without having it in my hands.

Another thing to look at is the little slide/thumb release.

Back