• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590A1 Pump Action Build Thread

Academy Sports is selling the Flex accessories.

They don't have much of a selection on-line, but they have a decent assortment in my local store...

I don't know of any new barrels, and I have to defer to others on where to buy FLEX parts.

And yes, the new site is a blackhole. Don't get too close or you'll get sucked under and die.

Rossignol said:
I don't know of any new barrels, and I have to defer to others on where to buy FLEX parts.

And yes, the new site is a blackhole. Don't get too close or you'll get sucked under and die.

Haha yeah black hole.. Im in it right now.. Check this link if u got a minute.

http://www.mossberg.com/node/2649?u_fie ... Nodes=2649

Its seems very odd that they would make this option available for the 500 barrel but not the 18.5'' 590. Also when did they start making OD green products?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Jimmy,

Remember the 590 only comes in a 20" configuration, it's the 590a1 that comes in 18.5" models. I think they introduced a couple new barrel finishes at SHOT last month...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Academy Sports is selling the Flex accessories.

They don't have much of a selection on-line, but they have a decent assortment in my local store...

Ahh haa! No doubt bro... Good looking out!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Jimmy,

Remember the 590 only comes in a 20" configuration, it's the 590a1 that comes in 18.5" models. I think they introduced a couple new barrel finishes at SHOT last month...

That's right.. I vaguely remember that. It is weird though because as far as barrels go, when im looking through the catolog/website i see 18"bbl 500's with the 590 style barrels on them. Like the lugs are identical.

For example

With this first pic, from what it looks like it could be a 590 barrel, kinda hard to see. It looks to be the reg 500 cap but with a 590 barrel lug because it doesn't have that "Y" shaped flare where it connects to the barrel. Which makes me think there is alot more compatibility than I originally thought.

vu4ata2y.jpg

ge8edy2y.jpg

buvu4ypu.jpg

There is a few more but they are all breachers. Are these all A1 heavy walled barrels on the 500 or am i onto something.

BTW, im still on that year old GRS hunt. I emailed XS sight systems with a lengthy explainaition of what i want but have not heard a peep back. That was like last week...:(

Here's a better pic of the top one, model 51523...

In the pic above you can see that it uses the standard 500 mag cap, and has a sling swivel stud installed. All of the 500 breacher barrels are made from cut-down 590a1 heavy barrels and use the 590/835 mag tube/cap configuration...

Rossignol said:
You guys are right.

The 835 magazine is the same as 590 5 round magazines. So its possible to get an 835 and pick up a 590 18 1/2" barrel or an 18 1/2" 590 and get an 835 barrel.

But they have to be 5 round guns.
Thanks. The same is true for the a1 or just regular 590? I know they are virtually the exact same gun. I just want to be sure before I make my final decision. Also yes, I just remember reading an old post that said something to the effect of mossberg has some new barrels coming out soon so to be on the watch for them. It is most likely the different finishes. I just wasn't sure what exactly it wound up being.

Yep, the 590A1 will be the same!

Ill have to watch for the barrels, thanks for the heads up!

Thanks Rosignol. You guys are the best. Also, the barrel thing, take that with a grain of salt. I could be completely misremembering what I read. You guys would certainly be more in tune with hearing something on it. I know I read it on this forum though. Just can't find it again. Or, I dreamt it. :lol:

Nah, there's a post in the 930 section about the new Coyote Tan finish. They've also started posting a few of them up on that black hole of a web address they call a website. I've seen an OD Green finish too...

Black hole. Love it. I was so confused using that site before I found you guys here. I'm not the sharpest guy technology wise but it is really unbelievable.

Yep, blackhole. Emptiness void of any semblance of usefulness.

If you want model info, you're better off checkin with Buds Gun Shop than to go to the source which is OFM. Id love to say more here but we have a whole thread all about sharin the love for OFM! ;)

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Here's a better pic of the top one, model 51523...

In the pic above you can see that it uses the standard 500 mag cap, and has a sling swivel stud installed. All of the 500 breacher barrels are made from cut-down 590a1 heavy barrels and use the 590/835 mag tube/cap configuration...

Ahh..I C.. the breachers make sense... but aside from the mag cap the actual lug itself on the 500 GRS setup looks to be a 590 style to me... Its wide at the bottom & wide at the top, all the other 500 lugs look like a "'Y''' shape to me. Minus the breachers, are there 2 different types of lugs for the 500?

There's no way that 18.5" would work with my 18" 580A1?? I would only need the lug to be able to work with a cap or mag ext, where as the receiver end should be the same.

Jimmycrackcorn is getting confused..........:???:

Not sure if there is any difference in specs between the barrel lugs on the 500 and 590 that would cause a problem with what you're trying to accomplish. I'd give Mossberg Tech Support a call and see what they have to say...

(800) 363-3555

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Not sure if there is any difference in specs between the barrel lugs on the 500 and 590 that would cause a problem with what you're trying to accomplish. I'd give Mossberg Tech Support a call and see what they have to say...

(800) 363-3555

So you get what I'm saying then... It looks to me as there are multiple lugs on these non breacher 500's.

Do u know about quality differences between the 500 & 590 as far as talking barrels goes?

Here's one.. (this will get me roasted 4sure....maybe banned. Lol.)
Now...not concerning quality like above....
I've come across what seems to be a few Remington clones. A Norinco 982 & a "hawk'' something.. they both look identical, they come with GRS installed & will accept accessories for the 870. All for roughly around $250. That's less than id probably have to spend to buy a full set & have them installed.

Are there Mossy knock offs kicking around the i-net too?

Don't think there's much difference in quality between the two.

I'm wondering if there is a difference in the positioning of the barrel lug, like closer in or further out on the barrel. What we need is someone here who owns both a 500 and a 590 with the same barrel lengths who can see if the barrels will swap out.

...and I'm not aware of any Mossy knock-offs out there...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Don't think there's much difference in quality between the two.

I'm wondering if there is a difference in the positioning of the barrel lug, like closer in or further out on the barrel. What we need is someone here who owns both a 500 and a 590 with the same barrel lengths who can see if the barrels will swap out.

...and I'm not aware of any Mossy knock-offs out there...

That we do..! Doesn't Brad have both in same lengths?

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Pretty sure his 500 is a .410...

Dang it!
Who is next in line...! I'm sooo trying to avoid calling OFM!! I know they won't give me a straight answer never mind understand how to how to think outside the box....

I remember seeing a go to guy/gal around here that was a OFM representative & was knowledgeable. Maybe he/she wasn't a member but was just a contact. Do you know who I'm talking about?

Rossi, how do you like that specter sling? I run a 590a1 20" with Magpul sga and surefire forend. Looking for a sling. Pretty sure I don't want to run a single point. Need to be able to transition to secondary weapon and move primary out of the way to go hands on, or even climb ladder and/or jump fences.

Back