1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Mossberg 590A1 Retrograde

Discussion in 'Mossberg 590 Pump Action' started by Chuck Gullage, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Chuck Gullage

Chuck Gullage .22LR

Does any have experience with a 590A1 Retrograde? I'm very interested in getting one, but I'm not sure I need another shotgun, but they are so attractive, if not a little pricy. Buds Gun Shop has them for $678 which looks like a good price but with the $50 FFL fee and the $15 NJ NICS check that puts the deal at $743. The wood furniture looks great, but I question whether the wood is worth the price differential. Your thoughts please.
    Frankie likes this.
  2. Mossbergermeister

Mossbergermeister .410

The price seems right, so if you like it, then go for it.

Personally, if I were looking for something with a retro look by Mossberg and already owned your typical shotguns making it difficult to justify getting just another shotgun, then I would opt for the 590 Nightstick.

[​IMG]

Not only does it have a distinctively retro look to it, but it's just different enough from other shotguns, and much cheaper than the 590A1 Retrograde you're currently looking at.
  3. Frankie

Frankie .410

I bought a 590a1 retrograde recently ,since I like walnut wood,especially on shotguns,it a no brainer,love it,no regrets,well worth the cash,super fun.

Attached Files:

4. sixbennetts

sixbennetts .270 WIN

I agree with Frankie. Nothing like wood on a pump shotgun. I like that Retro! PicsArt_04-20-02.05.10.jpg
    meanstreak and Frankie like this.
  5. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Have you considered getting a used Mossberg 500 and putting a nice set of wood furniture on it?

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but I love a good project gun.

I can get them a lot less expensively, and I enjoy restoring them. There have been more than a million 500's produced. Some used guns could just about pass for new.
  6. carbinemike

carbinemike Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  7. Chuck Gullage

Chuck Gullage .22LR

Good ideas. I might get a 590SP ( 20" blued barrel with heat shield) and replace the synthetic furniture with wood furniture. Does anyone know of a source for 590 wood furniture? Will 500 furniture fit a 590? I really don't need the 590A1 heavy barrel and ghost ring sights. I'll probably install a red dot sight anyway - my right eye doesn't work too well from an old detached retina repair.
    meanstreak likes this.
  8. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The 500 forend needs to be the longer 7 5/8" action bar to fit a 590. The 500 stock 12ga will fit the 590. The 500 20ga will fit with a slight lip(smaller).

forend chart.jpg
  9. Frankie

Frankie .410

thankyou
    old mossy and Chuck Gullage like this.
  10. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

No problem.
  11. Frankie

Frankie .410

man ,that is a way cool lookin shotgun,kinda hard not to look at it,gives me cool ideas.
    sixbennetts likes this.
  12. sixbennetts

sixbennetts .270 WIN

I'm amazed at how comfortable it is to shoot, too! Because the brace is soft rubber, it's very absorbent, even with hot slugs. Length of pull is under 13½" to remain being viewed as a brace by the ATF, and not as a stock, (which is illegal to add to a Shockwave because of the 14" barrel).

Couple the short LOP with the angled AR A2 style grip, and you kinda feel all hunched up like a monkey humping a football, but it kinda helps to be scrunched up somehow. Being all tucked in actually makes you feel more secure when you're doing quick slide racks.

That being said, a stock will always be better than a brace, but this ain't bad.

Sorry to hijack! Back to the Retro!
    John A. and Frankie like this.
  13. Chuck Gullage

Chuck Gullage .22LR

Ok, I found a 590A1 Retro in a local gun shop and it looks and feels really nice, but it's a bit pricey. They want $770 for it, however they will sell my Springfield Armory M1A loaded and the proceeds from that should cover the shotgun. The Retro recoil pad feels soft and comfortable, so it should be easy on the shoulder. Also, the action is smooth and silky. For some reason it racks smoother than my 500. I'll post some pictures here when I get it.
    meanstreak likes this.
  14. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The proceeds of the M1A loaded should make them owing you money to boot. Those are $1300+ rifles.

Not only that, they're making money even at $770 because they don't have that in it.

I'm not telling you not to buy it, but I don't want to see them take you to the cleaners either.
  15. nitesite

nitesite Sheepdog Moderator "Philanthropist"

Yeah. $1300 USED price if it has the wood stock.
    meanstreak likes this.
  16. Frankie

Frankie .410

they can be found for less and keep your other weapon too.
    meanstreak likes this.
  17. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter

Ditto Frankie.