• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590A1 Stock Choices/Options Questions

Amsdorf

.22LR
As I mentioned in my first introductory post, I'm moving from Remington over to Mossberg and have decided I am definitely getting a Mossberg 590A1. Of course, then, the next question I have to answer is: which model? I've narrowed my choices down to either the 20" barreled model with a fixed stock or an adjustable stock. I want the 20" for maximum capacity in the tube, and if I get a 20" barreled model, I'm probably going to updgrade the magazine tube with a +2 or +3 extension. I've learned in multiple shot gun classes that it all comes down to a "game" of "how quick can you reload?" :)

But: questions...I think I'd really like to have a pistol grip stock system, which I guess I can get in either fixed or adjustable, but ...

Two issues/questions:

I've heard/read that manipulating the safety is considerably more difficult with a pistol grip stock system. True/false?

I'm also wondering what the pros/cons are of an adjustable stock. I have very long arms...very long and so am thinking adjustable would give me greater LOP options, etc. Thoughts/comments?

Thanks for the information.

Mossberg is known for its tang safety. When you have a pistol grip it you will have to break your grip to activate or deactivate the safety. If the main purpose is to have a adjustable LOP why not get a magpul stock and add all the spacers you want to get the necessary LOP. It also has a steeper grip angle on its stock so it is similar to a pistol grip but still a sporter style stock.

Amsdorf,
Check out Ghmann's post "which model". There is some good insight there.
Personally I like a regular stock. The safety is easily accessible. Go to a gun shop and shoulder a few Mossy's to get a feel of what you like.

Traditional stock is (in my humble opinion) the way to go with Mossberg shotguns. The safety is easily manipulated with a traditional stock with out having to move your hand from the firing position.

You mention an extended magazine because reloading is slow. So why go to a pistol grip stock that would slow you down by adding extra movement and completely removing your hand away from already superior ergonomics?

My preference in a stock is Hogue. But the factory Mossberg stock is a little longer. As mentioned above, the Magpul can be made longer still.

To me, a pistol grip adjustable stock on a Mossberg makes it somewhat less useful. That's just me and I'm not bashing on people who like them. I've used them. I like them. They look really cool too. If I had to do it again I'd get the Mesa Tactical low tube adapter. But like I said and was also mentioned in an above post, you're adding a movement with fine motor skills involved that wouldn't be there otherwise and if speed and simplicity is the goal, then adding a pistol grip stock is kinda counterproductive.

In closing, a pistol grip stock is to a Mossberg what an icosagon is to the wheel.

Rossignol,
Nice one. I had to google icosagon - but your right. Adjustable stocks are made for automatic rifles. They are somewhat of a novelty on a shot gun. The main advantage is adjustability but the main benefit is the cool factor.
If I had to smack someone in the forehead I'd rather have a traditional wood stock:)

Back