• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590s #51602 sight replacement

BadKarma0007

Copper BB
Hello all and thank you in advance for your guidance.

So I recently bought a Mossberg 590s model #51602 which has ghost ring sights. I just added the GG&G scope mount because my intention will be to put a Trijicon MRO on the mount and be able to co-witness. With that scope mount however, I cannot use the rear sight that came with the shotgun which is fine by me so I need to purchase a rear sight that is Picatinny rail capable and foldable. Guess my question is I don't need to replace the front sight right? Just replacing the rear sight and zeroing it in should be sufficient right? can you recommend a rear folding sight assuming that I can do what I'm trying to do?

Again, Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
I believe that any rail mounted rear will be way too tall to be compatible with the front sight, particularly a folder.

Skinner might make a low profile rear aperture sight.

If the rear sight replacement is not ultra-low on a picatinny rail, and I hope for you that there is one available, then the existing front sight will not allow you to zero with new iron rear if it is even a bit too high. Folders are almost out of the question.

I own a GRS 590 and to be honest I never thought about an MRO on it. That would be mighty handy. I just had a weapon light on mine which was easy to mount because it is a 8+1 GRS and light mounts were plentiful.

maybe the path of least resistance would be to just replace the front sight as well for consistency sake to match the rear sight and call it a day...

I just got the 590s tactical and I can’t figure out how to remove the rear ghost ring sight so I can install a rail. Does anyone have any tips for removing that? TIA

I just got the 590s tactical and I can’t figure out how to remove the rear ghost ring sight so I can install a rail. Does anyone have any tips for removing that? TIA
Sorry just saw this but I just unscrewed the sight. I'm not home right now so I can't explain it further but there's a large screw on the ghost ring. I put an MRO on a picatinny rail back there but I still need to figure out what to do with the front iron sights....replace or augment but I've zeroed in the MRO with the bore via bore sighter and zeroed in the streamlight laser; but would love to co-witness.

Good luck with your removal though.

Back