1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Mossberg 702 Plinkster Rimfire Reviews...

Discussion in 'Mossberg 702 Plinkster' started by DHonovich, Aug 8, 2010.

1. mingaa

mingaa Raconteur

A couple of pics of the gun. The scope is a Simmons 3-9 x 32 recommended by LES - great scope for the price!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have aspirations to make this a 'survival' rifle and probably keep it in the car once complete. I added a 1.5" extension to the stock rest - probably best for ammo looking at the shape.

Here's a list of what I have collected and HOPE will fit:
    - Para cord - external wrap or on sling?
    -Space blanket
    -Whistle
    -Multi tool (mini with pliers)
    -Fishing Kit: 8 hooks, swivels, split shot, 25 ft. line, bobber (?)
    -Magnesium fire starter (sawsall blade+ better steel striker)
    -Ammo (27 stock, 14 bottom rest = 41, is goal 75-100?) full mags on sling or gun x5 - extend bottom rest, PVC Bondo project, extend screw (done)
    -Flashlight (mini)
    -Battery Energizer 357 x 3
    -Wire (cut hangers) structure for foil pot (boil water), etc.
    -HD foil (water boil)
    -Ziplock bags (water carry)
    -Rice pack + salt / season
    -Duct tape (wrapped on pencil) 2.5'
    -First aid (what is in this?) ----- bandages, antiseptic, neosporin
    -Zip ties
    -Wire saw
    - Fuel cubes - Esbit ( how many fit?)
    - Tinder ( compacted dryer lint)
    -Trash bag (rain gear)
    - mini lighter
    - waterproof matches (redundant fire starting intentional)
    - mini compass
    - solar powered cell phone charger (not packed but available)

Considering mirror to signal, glow sticks - open to suggestions. :D

Once I start packing I'll start a thread with pics of items and how/if they fit!

[​IMG]
    Djcala likes this.
  2. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Overwatch Staff Member Administrator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Very cool mingaa!

Glad to see you like the scope...
  3. max

max .410

I just purchaed a 702 and was wondering what type of mounts it takes to mount a sling to the fiberglass stock. I also took it out and shot it no issues even with the 25 rd mag. I like this rifle.
  4. mingaa

mingaa Raconteur

I mounted my sling using a wood-type screw system. It is a toss up (vs machine screws) - there is plenty of material to pre drill and mount the wood screws in the rear but the front is a bit thin.

Fortunately the front stock is divided into a number of modular compartments ( making for good rigidity) - the compartment where the screw entered and - once installed - I reinforced it with some epoxy. JB Weld - any strong adhesive would give you the extra support that you may need.

I've been using and carrying the gun for months now - the install worked great and will last for the life of the rifle - IMHO!
  5. max

max .410

Thank you for answering my question I will try it out and see what I can come up with.
  6. flylo

flylo Copper BB

PSA has these on sale for $99 with free shipping. Woodbury had 3x9x40 TruGlo scopes with reg rings for $19.99 shipped. Add a brick of 22lr from Cabela's for $23.99 & you have a nice kit for under $150. Can't beat that!
  7. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the forum from NY. Thanks for the heads up.:)
  8. mingaa

mingaa Raconteur

Got a link on the ammo at Cabela's - not seeing it on line or is that in your local store?!
  9. flylo

flylo Copper BB

I go to Slickguns.com & when 22 ammo deals are posted you have minutes to get them. Slickguns links you to the site '& you buy. I live about 80 miles from a Cabelas, have everything shipped to the store & pick up once a month. I try to get young people & older too that don't know about firearms & shooting into the sport or at least to try it so they learn guns are just a tool & not evil.
  10. rdm76mav88

rdm76mav88 20g "Philanthropist"

Well...you guys have talked me into buying one when funds allow I know it's inexpensive but I have to wait unfortunately :(
  11. jr.

jr. Copper BB

love mine.. went through about 500 rounds with out a problem. I wish I would have cleaned it before I shot it, the factory grease really holds grit. gave it a real good break down cleaning and it feels smooth as glass now. only gave $107.00 for it a Wal-Mart I may go pick up another for that price.
  12. Oak Valley shooter

Oak Valley shooter .410

I have one and love it. May get another I also have several tigers and a Henry my trigger is smooth compared to My ruger
  13. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter

I have been looking for a nice .22. This is definitely one I will check out.
  14. PCottrell

PCottrell Copper BB

I got mine used from a local pawn shop. Probably got rooked on the price but it shoots great now that I got a couple of new mags for it and a red dot sight. This one came with the apparently older steel sights rather than the newer plastic tru-glow ones. As mentioned in a different post I had issues running CCI Stingers through the original mag however, Federal Champion HPs shot fine as did Aguila .22 Super Extra lead rounds. The original mag did work with the Stingers when I loaded them in every other round. Not sure how old this one is but the first review dated back in 2010 describes the same sights on this one. I'll be taking this one out for our Spring Squirrel Season next month so we'll see how many of them critters I can bag with it.
    Djcala and meanstreak like this.
  15. Tom396

Tom396 .30-06

I have two and really think I ought to buy a third one...if that gives you an idea of how I feel about them. Take care. Tom Worthington
    meanstreak and Djcala like this.
  16. PCottrell

PCottrell Copper BB

Correction... My front sight is apparently plastic as the gun hit the floor once and the blade broke off... I found it and glued it back on with some jewelry glue. Also had issues with the Promag mags and the stingers. Posted elsewhere about that.