• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 702 Plinkster Rimfire Troubleshooting

Re: email's to mossberg a waste of time!!!!

hang in there it can take awhile. try this email addy,she takes care of all the email.
Martinez, Norma <martinezn@mossberg.com>
plus i'm sure after the holidays they are very busy.

thanks old mossy, i used the email and got a response. they are gonna send me a new spring and rod. they said to use the email you gave me as the regular mossberg email somehow doesn't always get delivered. thanks again

your welcome.glad it worked for ya. :)

old mossy said:
hang in there it can take awhile. try this email addy,she takes care of all the email.
Martinez, Norma <martinezn@mossberg.com>
plus i'm sure after the holidays they are very busy.
Can’t give you another rep yet but I will say you have proven to be a valuable addition to the site, very helpful

aw shucks,,,, :oops:

ty oli,just enjoying the friendly atmosphere and members.
plus,learning from the best. :)

got the spring in the mail today, the rod will be here next week. good service and now to wait a few more days to let loose with my toy. thanks

thats great.keep us posted. :)

they sent me the rod with another spring which is great. the gun shoots fine and is very accurate with bulk federal. i will have to admit my savage mark 2 bolt action is a little more accurate but not by much. i'm glad i bought an extra mag for $15 from my local shop when i got the gun. the mags are going for $40+ on ebay and my local shop can't get them at this time. thanks again old mossy for all your help.

That's great boomer!

Good to see they got you fixed up...

thats what mossberg owners is all about. glad it worked out for you.

Attachments

• you-are-more-then-welcome.png
    you-are-more-then-welcome.png
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,059

Great, glad they made it right.

I got 2 of the coveted 25 round mags. The ones for the Plinkster not the tactical. They inserted fine but releasing wasn't good. They have a plastic lever that pushes on the mag release of the rifle. Pressing it would lower the mag a bit and then it catches again. You would have to jam your finger between the mag and rifle and press the release again to remove the mag.

Looking at the metal mag release on the rifle it has a second bump on it that catches the mag. I ground this down flush. Next the plastic button on the mag didn't have enough travel to press on the metal release sufficiantly. Remove all screws and take the mag apart. There are 3 places where the travel is limited on that plastic lever, grind them down and you increase the travel so now you can push the lever and release the mag in one smooth motion as it should be.

Not sure why Mossberg made this system this way, but now both mags work.

Also with any semi-auto .22 add no oil to the bolt or action so it runs dry and doesn't gum up. I've had no FTF, FTE, and only 1 FTF (ammo's fault)

I have aquired another 702 without a mag and my existing mags have insertion issues with the new 702...they have to be forced into the mag well...obviously a metal on metal thing...anybody ever see/hear of this problem? Thanks...

beesouth said:
I have aquired another 702 without a mag and my existing mags have insertion issues with the new 702...they have to be forced into the mag well...obviously a metal on metal thing...anybody ever see/hear of this problem? Thanks...
Welcome to the forum!

To be clear - you have two 702s, the mags from the previous rifle do not insert properly in the new one? Correct? Is it a new or used rifle?

Wanted to update, Mounted a Simmons 4-12 scope and have been running through my stash of ammo. Seems to like Remington 36 grain HP Golden Bullets. Still not one failure.

I like this rifle!

Makes a great addition to my 22 mag, 870, and .243.

I do have one question. Has anyone reworked the trigger? I've done all my bolt guns myself and have them breaking like an icicle at less than 2 lbs.

The 702 feels like 10 lbs with a lot of creep and over travel. I know my groups would shrink with a crisp trigger.

I've now looked at it twice and think if I take it apart parts and springs will fly everywhere.

Anyone?

Guys I have noticed a pattern when my Plinkster stovepipes/FTEs. It only does it when there is pressure on the magazine such as if the gun is resting on it when shooting. Anyone else notice that too? Maybe this is why many people have feeding problems. Let me know...

Welcome aboard!

We've had a member or two discover this as well. Resting the rifle on the mag isn't recommended. This pushes the top of the mag against the bottom of the bolt and interferes with the action cycling properly...

peteinpa said:
I do have one question. Has anyone reworked the trigger? I've done all my bolt guns myself and have them breaking like an icicle at less than 2 lbs.

The 702 feels like 10 lbs with a lot of creep and over travel. I know my groups would shrink with a crisp trigger.

I've now looked at it twice and think if I take it apart parts and springs will fly everywhere.

Anyone?
Your trigger sounds pretty bad. Most are smoother with lighter release. Sad to say that a trigger job does sound like a PITA. There are reports of successful but problematic tear downs of the trigger group and the results have been less than dramatic. Using a gunsmith is not done (that I've found) as it would cost more than the gun to have the service done - something most people will not do.

I'll go to some of the first hand accounts that I've read and post links. Apparently there are some unique characteristics to the trigger build.

Back