• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: please help--new to me 835 wont cycle

20130107_061245.jpg

Have you tried cycling the action while watching the stopper to see it it's moving far enough out of the way for the shell to clear?

Yes. That is why i am focused on that part of the action. Could be something else. I dont know. But when i cycle it the stopper does not allow the new shell to slide onto the elevator. It seems to be , to my untrained and inexperienced eye, in that area.

It is good to confirm and then i have no good idea what the options are (without taking it somewhere) yo fix it.

First, I'd disassemble action to see if the stopper spring is bound up with any debris or excess fouling. If it's clear then once you have the shell stopper out, you will see that it's not that difficult to bend. Try just a little at a time until you're able to cycle the action normally...

Cool. Ill do that later. Thank you for the idea.

To remove the mag tube is a strap wrench best??

Mine have all been on pretty tight, but they eventually come off by hand.

The aluminum tube is pretty thin and I'd be afraid a strap wrench might apply too much pressure and distort the tube. There may be a little locktite or other locking compound on the threads, so you might try using a heat gun or hair dryer and see if that helps...

Thamk you. Good to know. I will be patient and persistent.

You might also try a few drops of cleaning solvent down into the threads. Let is sit for a bit and it might help...

Thanx for helpin out Sniper...again.
I've been doin 14 hr days lately. :(

Ahhh you lightweight!

There's 24hrs in a day man and you're only workin 14 of 'em?! :lol:

Just kidd'n bother, get some rest. Always glad to help out where I'm able...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: 835 question?

Sfd714 said:
I red something about the 835 comes factory bored to a 10g and necks down to 12g. Can anyone enlighten me a little more about this. Thanks

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.

The over-bored barrel on the 835 widens as you go from the chamber down the barrel and then constricts back down to 12ga size before the choke. The slight expansion and then recompression of the shot in the barrel helps for a bit of a tighter pattern and I would imagine the expansion in the barrel helps a little bit with the recoil of the 3.5" rounds.

Took the action all apart, verified nothing between the stopper spring and the receiver. Thank God for YouTube reassembly videos. :D

Lubed it up. Now it is smoother but still won't feed a new shell. :x

The body of the stopper gets pushed over to flush with the receiver and the bend on the shell end is still engaging the new shell. It seems that the end of the stopper is bent too far out for the elevator to push it in. Is it better to try to bend the body of the stopper over to the receiver or grind a little off the end of the stopper so it releases the new shell?? Both?? Or just buy a new one? I know it CAN move over far enough since I can manually unload the new shell......

Hrrrumpf. It will all be worth it and it is a small issue in the scheme of things. Frustrating none the less....

The other day I had time off of both jobs so reshaped the stopper. I filed the shell end, bent the middle so the elevator pushed in more and bent the shell end so it cleared the shell. Now it cycles fine. Time to hit the range.

That's great TDoc!

Glad to see you got the bugs worked out. Let us know how it goes at the range...

I had the exact same problem with my 835. Took the action all apart and cleaned everything really good, lubed it all up, then put it all back together. Now it feeds perfect. Well cleaned and lubed guns work much better then dirty one's. Everytime I got used guns, have to clean them up really well and no problems. I made a mistake about 10 years ago with a used Ruger P97. After I bought it, I took it to the range and shot it. Had all kinds of jams and crap. I thought I got ripped off but after takin it home to clean it after the range, it fired perfect, without anymore misfires. Was one of the smoothest guns that I ever fired. So I did the same thing with my used 835 and thats all she needed :D . But glad you got yours workin. Some do need a little work to be done but others just need a good cleaning.

Agreed, proper maintenance is crucial. Just like anything mechanical.

Broken 835

Was at the skeet range Sunday and just after starting my second round the slide release jams. Also I don't see the firing pin coming out when I pull the trigger. Anybody have this happen before ?

Sent from my LG-C900 using Board Express

Re: Broken 835

Mossybloke said:
Was at the skeet range Sunday and just after starting my second round the slide release jams. Also I don't see the firing pin coming out when I pull the trigger. Anybody have this happen before ?

you need to disassemble and get a good look at the bolt. sounds like a broken firing pin or spring.
keep us posted.

Re: RE: Broken 835

Yeah I was thinking it was the firing pin too. I was getting light strikes on primers a couple weeks ago and thought it was my deprime station station on the reloader set too low. Will try to disassemble soon.......

Back