• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Accessories...

Re: Anyone knows where to find a sling???

UncleMikes-QDSS14033.gif

Uncle Mikes QDSS Super Sling Swivel Set - Blued & Stainless Finish 1.25" Loop
Uncle Mikes QD Super Swivel Set , Includes (2) QDSS swivels with TriLock swivel locking mechanisim. Made of solid steel components with close machining tolerances for a tight fit & silent operation. Can be detached without tools, yet provides a positive locking mechanism for safety. Large 1 1/4" sling loop with blued black or stainless finish and three-lock system that will accept most military size sling webbing while offering security against accidental opening.

31Vi0eQ88HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

BLACKHAWK! LOK-DOWN Sling Swivel - 1.25-Inch Blue
1.25-Inch Blued
LOK-DOWN Sling Swivels are precision machined
Made entirely in the USA from premium steel
LOK-DOWN swivels utilize a positive locking mechanism
Designed to keep the swivel attached to your gun until you remove it

DHonovich said:
UncleMikes-QDSS14033.gif

Uncle Mikes QDSS Super Sling Swivel Set - Blued & Stainless Finish 1.25" Loop
Uncle Mikes QD Super Swivel Set , Includes (2) QDSS swivels with TriLock swivel locking mechanisim. Made of solid steel components with close machining tolerances for a tight fit & silent operation. Can be detached without tools, yet provides a positive locking mechanism for safety. Large 1 1/4" sling loop with blued black or stainless finish and three-lock system that will accept most military size sling webbing while offering security against accidental opening.

31Vi0eQ88HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

BLACKHAWK! LOK-DOWN Sling Swivel - 1.25-Inch Blue
1.25-Inch Blued
LOK-DOWN Sling Swivels are precision machined
Made entirely in the USA from premium steel
LOK-DOWN swivels utilize a positive locking mechanism
Designed to keep the swivel attached to your gun until you remove it

Awesome I'll order the BlackHawk one and see what sling I can find in OD Green

RippSpeed said:
Mudinyeri said:
You're taking a tactical class that requires a sling? Is this a field combat class? :?

http://www.civilianarmstraining.com/ind ... Itemid=178

Its one of their requirements... I've been shooting my HK USP and going to matches a lot lately. But when I saw this... I wanted to take the class...

Interesting. I'm trying to get the course description to load (the sceen seems to be frozen in the "loading" mode). Most of the "tactical" shotgunners that I know are anti-sling for CQB work. I'll admit that I'm not expert myself, but I have a couple friends that I would put in that category and I've participated in some training for CQB shotgun work and everyone is consistently anti-sling.

If you're carrying a gun in the field and don't need it immediately ready for use a sling can be useful. If you're shooting longer distances off hand and are utilizing the sling for support a sling can be useful. If you're in a CQB situation, a sling is, at best, a potential impediment to free movement in tight quarters and, at worst, a weapon retention risk.

Course description is still loading.

Mudinyeri said:
RippSpeed said:
Mudinyeri said:
You're taking a tactical class that requires a sling? Is this a field combat class? :?

http://www.civilianarmstraining.com/ind ... Itemid=178

Its one of their requirements... I've been shooting my HK USP and going to matches a lot lately. But when I saw this... I wanted to take the class...

Interesting. I'm trying to get the course description to load (the sceen seems to be frozen in the "loading" mode). Most of the "tactical" shotgunners that I know are anti-sling for CQB work. I'll admit that I'm not expert myself, but I have a couple friends that I would put in that category and I've participated in some training for CQB shotgun work and everyone is consistently anti-sling.

If you're carrying a gun in the field and don't need it immediately ready for use a sling can be useful. If you're shooting longer distances off hand and are utilizing the sling for support a sling can be useful. If you're in a CQB situation, a sling is, at best, a potential impediment to free movement in tight quarters and, at worst, a weapon retention risk.

Course description is still loading.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIRmxMdcFrg[/youtube]

this is their video...
And heres their course lesson...

objectives:

To safely perform the five-count presentation
To find our battle zero
To learn proper cheek & Shoulder weld
To learn combat loading and uploading of a tactical shotgun
To learn exact shot placement for desired results
To learn African & American Carry and why
To engage multiple targets
To safely perform incapacitation techniques
To safely perform transition skills
To perform deliberate fire from 25 yards, kneeling & prone
To hone existing skills by repetition of the fundamentals
To learn how to survive a lethal threat confrontation

Sounds like most of the basics, but I don't see anything in there that would REQUIRE a sling. Please report back after you've taken the class.

I guess they might have you sling your shotgun if the transition drills include transitioning to a secondary weapon.

There are a lot of schools and courses that require a sling for class on any long gun. There are a lot of trainers that fully understand the benefits of having and using a proper sling. For classes, slinging the shotgun allows the class to huddle up after safing their weapon so that they can quickly move from the line to a teaching brief and back without having to rack the shotguns and then retrieve them.
Beyond the class environment, a properly worn, adjusted, and used sling is not an impediment at all. A poorly chosen, adjusted, and used sling will be an impediment. To take the worst case application and transfer that "problem" to the use of the sling as a whole is incorrect.
Slings are not just for carrying the shotgun. In fact, that would be a carry strap as opposed to a sling. Slings are not just for quick transisitons to sidearms. For the homeowner, that probably isn't even a possibility.
However, a sling will let you keep the shotgun on your person when you need to do something that requires two hands, or is overly awkward with one hand. A homeowner may need to move a spouse or children through the house. A lot easier to exercise control over them if you have a hand on them. If you have to carry or drag someone, a sling will let you keep the shotgun on your person. If you have to manipulate something in the environment you will be able to do so while keeping the shotgun on your person, as opposed to trying to find someplace to lean it up against, in the dark, hoping that it doesn't topple over or get knocked over. If you have a proper sling being used in the proper fashion, it will aid greatly in retention should someone get close enough to try to take it away from you. In that case, a sling can prevent the shotgun from being used against you. He's got both of his hands busy trying to pull it off of you, you can use both hands to beat the crap out of him because your sling is holding the shotgun to you. The sling can help with leverage to control the shotgun and clear him off the muzzle.
If somebody doesn't want to use a sling, that's fine. If they think they are better off without one, that's fine too. As long as the statement is made with the benefit of being fully aware of both the positive and negative attributes of using a sling or not using a sling. But to say that slings are impediments is not accurate. They can be very helpful, or even essential. The problem is that a lot of people don't understand proper sling selection and use, and use that incorrect knowledge when making the declaration that slings are impdediments, they'll get you killed, they hang up on everything, or whatever.

Ripp, if you use a plate, that's only adding something like 3/16" to the length of the mag tube. You could add 6" of mag tube extending out beyond the muzzle and not have a problem other than needing to clear obstacles by a greater amount. The length that the sling plate would add to the mag tube is going to be inconsequential in terms navigation or hazards to the mag tube from muzzle blast or whatever. On the other hand, the sling plate will allow you to properly mount a sling that can be used in the right way, while you are shooting.
Another option is to use a mag tube clamp that either includes a sling point or one that has a rail on which a sling point can be attached.
For the rear sling point you can either manage the shotgun from the bottom mount or get a stock adapter that will mount the sling to the side.
Whichever way you chose, a sling should be able to allow you to shoot the shotgun from a variety of positions while being worn or not present a problem in putting the sling on or taking it off while the shotgun is being operated. The adjustable two points are great for this, and are just about ideal. Three points have way too much strap. Carry straps can be used, so long as they are not adjusted too far out creating a large loop that dangles below the shotgun. Single points require that you keep a hand on the shotgun, and some people have problems using them.
If you go with an adjustable two point, the best way to mount it is on the side. They can still be used with a bottom mount, but then they are closer to being a traditional bottom mounted carry strap and you can't take advantage of their benefits.

m24shooter said:
Beyond the class environment, a properly worn, adjusted, and used sling is not an impediment at all. A poorly chosen, adjusted, and used sling will be an impediment. To take the worst case application and transfer that "problem" to the use of the sling as a whole is incorrect.
Slings are not just for carrying the shotgun. In fact, that would be a carry strap as opposed to a sling. Slings are not just for quick transisitons to sidearms. For the homeowner, that probably isn't even a possibility.

However, a sling will let you keep the shotgun on your person when you need to do something that requires two hands, or is overly awkward with one hand. A homeowner may need to move a spouse or children through the house. A lot easier to exercise control over them if you have a hand on them. If you have to carry or drag someone, a sling will let you keep the shotgun on your person. If you have to manipulate something in the environment you will be able to do so while keeping the shotgun on your person, as opposed to trying to find someplace to lean it up against, in the dark, hoping that it doesn't topple over or get knocked over. If you have a proper sling being used in the proper fashion, it will aid greatly in retention should someone get close enough to try to take it away from you. In that case, a sling can prevent the shotgun from being used against you. He's got both of his hands busy trying to pull it off of you, you can use both hands to beat the crap out of him because your sling is holding the shotgun to you. The sling can help with leverage to control the shotgun and clear him off the muzzle.

If somebody doesn't want to use a sling, that's fine. If they think they are better off without one, that's fine too. As long as the statement is made with the benefit of being fully aware of both the positive and negative attributes of using a sling or not using a sling. But to say that slings are impediments is not accurate. They can be very helpful, or even essential. The problem is that a lot of people don't understand proper sling selection and use, and use that incorrect knowledge when making the declaration that slings are impdediments, they'll get you killed, they hang up on everything, or whatever.

Your points have merit, as usual, M24. However, a sling - like so many other weapon accessories - is most likely an impediment if the user doesn't train with it. It appears that the OP is seeking out training, but I don't see anything in the curriculum that is specific to slings. That's a part of the reason that I'm interested in hearing about the course after he participates in it.

My "declaration that slings are impediments" is based upon a fair amount of training from individuals who utilize shotguns to keep themselves alive and train others to do the same. I didn't just arrive at that conclusion from watching a couple YouTube videos or reading some opinions on the Intard-web. In my training, we used the shotgun as a blunt-force object rather than slinging it and using both hands in HTH combat. That way, if we could create enough separation to reload, the shotgun was readily available and could the be quickly redeployed as a firearm.

Mudinyeri said:
Your points have merit, as usual, M24. However, a sling - like so many other weapon accessories - is most likely an impediment if the user doesn't train with it.
Anything used with a weapon is an impediment if there is no training and practice to go along with it. The weapon itself can be an impediment if the user is not trained with it. That much I take as undestood in a discussion such as this.
However, since the subject of this thread is to find a sling to be used in training, I think the OP at least has a start down that path.
It appears that the OP is seeking out training, but I don't see anything in the curriculum that is specific to slings. That's a part of the reason that I'm interested in hearing about the course after he participates in it.
His post mentions African and American carry. That is exactly specific to slings.
What I've seen is that the required equipment lists on websites aren't always kept up to date, or are minimal. I've gotten signed up for classes and then received an email listing out the exact requirements which are either completely different from the website listing or greatly expanded.
My "declaration that slings are impediments" is based upon a fair amount of training from individuals who utilize shotguns to keep themselves alive and train others to do the same. I didn't just arrive at that conclusion from watching a couple YouTube videos or reading some opinions on the Intard-web.
There are some that believe that. That's fine, and as I said there is no problem with that as long as the decision is made on actual knowledge. In effect, you are saying the same thing I did.
Furthermore good instructors will say "This is a way, not the way" in most cases. They understand that universal answers rarely exist.
You said:
If you're in a CQB situation, a sling is, at best, a potential impediment to free movement in tight quarters and, at worst, a weapon retention risk.
I believe I have explained why that isn't the case, or at least the "best" case as you put it.
As for instructors that have used the shotgun to keep themselves alive that's fine. There are some instructors that have used shotguns and rifles to keep themselves alive that feel the exact opposite.
A way, as opposed to the way.
In my training, we used the shotgun as a blunt-force object rather than slinging it and using both hands in HTH combat.
I did not, and do not, suggest that one should sling the shotgun and use both hands. I said that if the shotgun were properly slung, with a proper sling, both hands would be available to deal with someone who was trying to take the shotgun away. This is not the preferred or ideal setting. It assumes that several things have probably already gone wrong. It is not even the main reason or intent to having a sling.
I mentioned that as an example of one of the benefits of having the shotgun slung that would not be present if there were no sling in the same scenario.
Again, with a proper sling and training, the shotgun can be used as an impact weapon with a sling.
That way, if we could create enough separation to reload, the shotgun was readily available and could the be quickly redeployed as a firearm.
And the same thing would be true with a slung shotgun.

m24shooter said:
Again, with a proper sling and training, the shotgun can be used as an impact weapon with a sling.
Isn’t that one of the reasons for a bungee type sling?

I couldn’t imagine not having a sling…but I actually pack mine on foot a lot. Not been in combat lately but I do know it sucks packing in one hand after a couple of miles. I grew up with slings on all long guns so I don’t even think twice about one being in the way....my sling management is strong :lol: As far as close quarters, never actually done it, but I would rather have the gun strapped to me so I wouldn’t drop it, or in a struggle some one couldn’t take it. I probably would opt for lanyard on my pistol too.I haven’t been trained in close quarters combat. I do know there is a big difference in training and what actually goes down in real life situations…..I am highly versed in strategies and tactics but in a different type of combat, wildfire. We constantly train, scenario, classes, sand tables, ground, air, mentally, physically….20 years of it, I am an Operations Section Chief and a T3 Incident Commander and I am here to tell ya training is good and it keeps us alive but a lot of the time the best plans go to s**t quickly...in my experience anyway.

Mudinyeri said:
reading some opinions on the Intard-web.
I respect everyone’s opinions on here but don’t you think this statement is kinda weird considering we are reading your opinions of the internet ?

oli700 said:
Mudinyeri said:
I respect everyone’s opinions on here but don’t you think this statement is kinda weird considering we are reading your opinions of the internet ?

I was contrasting opinions on the Internet vs. those of individuals I've met in person and have become familiar with over the course of time.

I take EVERYONE's opinion on the Internet with a grain of salt. Who know if we are who we say we are or have done the things we say we've done? Most people don't have a reason to lie, but enough do that I don't take much of anything at face value.

Mudinyeri said:
oli700 said:
Mudinyeri said:

I was contrasting opinions on the Internet vs. those of individuals I've met in person and have become familiar with over the course of time.

I take EVERYONE's opinion on the Internet with a grain of salt. Who know if we are who we say we are or have done the things we say we've done? Most people don't have a reason to lie, but enough do that I don't take much of anything at face value.

I hear ya

wow... I was just looking for a sling to be able to go class and enjoy my 930spx. LOL!!! didnt know that it would start a debate... I've never used a sling and I guess thats why I prefer not to have one. Unless we're talking SHTF situation where I need to hump; me and family out of the city... I would definitely like to have a sling, so I can quickly interchange from my shotgun to my pistol.

I wonder if the instructor would look @ me funny with my forward pistol grip on my 930spx...

Sorry man, I love the Specter Gear slings. I have the universal 2 point quick adjust.

RippSpeed said:
I wonder if the instructor would look @ me funny with my forward pistol grip on my 930spx...
Better not, a good instructor will realize that different things work for different people and one size doesn’t fit all as far as gear. As long as one becomes proficient with something who is to say anything.

oli700 said:
Sorry man, I love the Specter Gear slings. I have the universal 2 point quick adjust.

RippSpeed said:
Better not, a good instructor will realize that different things work for different people and one size doesn’t fit all as far as gear. As long as one becomes proficient with something who is to say anything.

I'm fairly comfortable with the frontal grip vs not. I've shot 400rds thru her with it and feel I'm more cofortable with it... its makes the shotgun more controllable in cqc movement. I feel like its more controllable in the recoil department as well, when dumping 10rds ...

I'll bring an magpul afg along just incase they say no...

RippSpeed said:
I'm fairly comfortable with the frontal grip vs not.

That’s what counts, everything has a trade off no getting away from that but as long as you realize the weakness with the strength,mitigate it where you can and are willing to accept the trade off then you win at the end of the day.
Good luck with the class sound useful and fun, can’t wait to hear your feedback.

ok sooo now I have ordered the sling mounts... What sling do you guys suggest ??? I'm doing a 2 point...

If you're going with the bottom mounts, then a 2 point adjustable is a good sling. You can shorten it up so that it doesn't hang to low and will stay out of the way. A GI carry strap or silent sling will work, but it won't be able to be shortened quickly and let back out.
I use the GearSector GS-2Ps when I need a two point. You won't find quicker, better service and the slings are top quality. Price is good as well.
http://www.gearsector.com/browse/catego ... nt-slings/
The VTAC slings are good, as are Blue Force Gear.

m24shooter said:
If you're going with the bottom mounts, then a 2 point adjustable is a good sling. You can shorten it up so that it doesn't hang to low and will stay out of the way. A GI carry strap or silent sling will work, but it won't be able to be shortened quickly and let back out.
I use the GearSector GS-2Ps when I need a two point. You won't find quicker, better service and the slings are top quality. Price is good as well.
http://www.gearsector.com/browse/catego ... nt-slings/
The VTAC slings are good, as are Blue Force Gear.
Cool I was planning on using the rear bottom mount found on the choate pistol grip and the front one on the front of the forend...

Back