• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Barrels

Hi new to the forum. I too am looking for a 28" barrel. Have the rifled deer slug for 930, would love to get a bird barrel. Have be looking at all the sites on internet and all are out of stock. Would be using for field hunting and clay shooting. Thanks for any help.

Contact Mossberg directly. They often have barrels that do not appear on the web page, I've ordered from them and an attest that this is the case.

Yeah mine has a extended tube and the huge comp on end of barrel.Looks sort of like Miculeks old Mossberg.Ive used it for 3 -gun now would like to try Sporting Clays a bit.

Some differences in the 930 SPX barrels

Mossberg has had essentially three versions of the barrel for the 930 SPX.
The first was the short LPA front sight tower, the second was the short LPA tower on a welded pedestal, and the third has been a thicker profile barrel and a taller LPA sight tower. The first two are fairly straightforward. However the third has actually had a few versions as well, and I don't know if these are intentional or just a convenience issue.
The third generation barrel as I said typically has the tall LPA sight tower; that said I've also seen the thick barrel with the short LPA sight. I don't know if this is just another weird move by OFM, of if they are using up the remaining stock of short sights similar to the way that Colt will put out some ARs that don't really fit their type patterns because they are using up the remainder of some small parts that have an excess of. Another distinction is the gas cylinder spring. The old versions had blue springs, although some early springs were black. The newer versions have red springs. Again, since this is OFM you will find new production guns with the thick barrel, tall LPA sight tower, and blue springs.
Here are some pics of the first gen barrel, and two versions of the third gen.

007.jpg

L to R: Third gen tall sight, third gen short sight, first gen short sight. Barrel thickness is different as well.

011.jpg

Third gen and first gen barrels with different barrel thickness.

008.jpg

Taller sight found on third gen barrels. Note position of roll pin and taller front sight ears.

012.jpg

Comparison of first gen barrel and sight and the third gen barrel and sight. Note that the taller third gen sight has the roll pin in a different location, and the gap between the sight blade and barrel on the first gen sight arrangement to the left. This is due to the taller third gen sight.

013.jpg

Side by side view of the first and third gen sight bodies.

M24shooter thank you very much for this information! I've been trying to find a replacement barrel for my 930, want to put a 930 SPX barrel on it, but can't seem to find these barrels anywhere. Any clues in the right direction? I bought a 930JM and love it, wouldn't trade it at all, but want a shorter barrel than 28 on it. Would a SPX fit on it? I would thing it might because its a 930. What is your thought?

Last edited:
M24shooter thank you very much for this information! I've been trying to find a replacement barrel for my 930, want to put a 930 SPX barrel on it, but can't seem to find these barrels anywhere. Any clues in the right direction? I bought a 930JM and love it, wouldn't trade it at all, but want a shorter barrel than 28 on it. Would a SPX fit on it? I would thing it might because its a 930. What is your thought?
All the 930 barrels are interchangable. I had a spx barrel on mine for a brief period. I ended up with a bead sighted security barrel as it suited my shooting style better. I also work a rifled slug barrel and a 28" field barrel into the mix

All the 930 barrels are interchangable. I had a spx barrel on mine for a brief period. I ended up with a bead sighted security barrel as it suited my shooting style better. I also work a rifled slug barrel and a 28" field barrel into the mix
Down right perfect thank you MikeD. I would think I'd be alright with a bead but have been having the hardest time trying to find them. Lot of my results end up showing the breach barrel. Any idea besides Moss.com where I could pick one up? Much thanks kind sir!

Does OFM make a vent rib 22"ish barrel? I've looked at the site but its so danged confusing!

Does OFM make a vent rib 22"ish barrel? I've looked at the site but its so danged confusing!
The 24" turkey barrel is the closest I know of.

Down right perfect thank you MikeD. I would think I'd be alright with a bead but have been having the hardest time trying to find them. Lot of my results end up showing the breach barrel. Any idea besides Moss.com where I could pick one up? Much thanks kind sir!

You can try calling them. Its not listed on the web site but they stock many parts not listed there. I found mine used in the classifieds.

Last edited:
Ugh, I dislike long barrels.

If I were seriously considering an auto loader, I'd like to stick with OFM but there are others with 20 to 22" barrels and one with a 21" barrel. I even did the unthinkable and looked at a Remington but for what ever reason it's chambered for 2-3/4" only. Lame...

Ugh, I dislike long barrels.

If I were seriously considering an auto loader, I'd like to stick with OFM but there are others with 20 to 22" barrels and one with a 21" barrel. I even did the unthinkable and looked at a Remington but for what ever reason it's chambered for 2-3/4" only. Lame...
You could always cut the field barrel down and have chokes tubes installed.

My 500c has a 22" barrel. Bought the barrel used and ive never seen another. I think it was part of a youth combo.

I've thought about that, but if I spend the money on the gun, the last thing I want to do is spend more on gunsmithing.

I need to get my hands on a 24" again and see how it feels.

I honestly don't know. I saw a 930 synthetic field model on sale at Walmart for $475 a while back. The JM Pro model has a few upgrades.

The JM Pro adds quite a few upgrades to the field model. Aside from the Boron Nitriding of the magazine tube, piston and hammer, the gun has a shorter forearm overhang, a mildly opened up loading port and the larger bolt release from the SPX. The most recent 22" JM Pro we un-boxed also had an enlarged, metal safety from the factory. It also came with 3 chokes, but I believe the last field model I saw had them too.

Also, the following popular aftermarket parts are on the 22" JM Pro from the factory:

Nordic +4 Extension ($75)
Nordic Magazine Clamp ($30)

If any of those parts weren't useful to you, the secondary market would likely take them off your hands and put most of the difference back in your pocket.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Back