• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Barrels

Re: 930 barrels

I have the 930 combo and don't think I will be using the 28 inch barrel. I had the 18 inch drilled and tapped for chokes. Make me an offer for the 28 inch barrel.

tgw said:
I have the 930 combo and don't think I will be using the 28 inch barrel. I had the 18 inch drilled and tapped for chokes. Make me an offer for the 28 inch barrel.
how much I would be interested as well but only if it the riffled one.

My 28 inch barrel is ribbed and ported and came drilled for chokes. Used it once when I first got the combo. Then got my 18.5 inch drilled and tapped for chokes and have not used the 28 inch since. It is sitting in the back of the safe. I shoot clays with my 590A1 and 930 and prefer the shorter barrel with the micro reflex red dot sights I have installed.

tgw said:

tgw,

sent you a message. let me know.

Mr. E

LTB45 said:
I know that they may be more expensive here, but at least they will have them.
http://www.mossberg.com/products/access ... ion=access

Thanks, I thought about them, too. Just strange that the only barrels that the dealers have in stock are the 24" fully rifled barrels (slugsters).

I have seen the 28" barrels listed as low as $152 new, but not in stock at the moment.

So I was hoping that someone might have one they aren't using or want to sell, first.

mister_e said:
RippSpeed said:
how much I would be interested as well but only if it the riffled one.

Ripp,

I sent you a PM with a link for a 24" fully rifled barrel ;)
Sweet... I want one to be able to swap out sooo I could use to test out these sabot slugs I bought. Me and a couple of work buddies will probably go hog hunting this summer and we want to settle an arguement about how accurate a shotgun can be with the propper barrel, a decent scope and some Remington Accutip.
Here in California or at least with the buddies I have, they don't believe in using a shotgun for anything with 4 legs.

The package I almost bought (kind of wishing I did now) had the 28" waterfowl barrel, and the 24" fully rifled deer barrel.

I really wanted to find the field/home security package with the 28" and 18.5" but no one had one. Then I got a little impatient and grabbed the home security model 18.5" barrel, for $429.

If I had been using my head, I should have bought the waterfowl/deer package then ordered the 18.5" barrel, and I would have had 3 different barrels and the 930 for under $650.

Oh well, maybe I'll get that 28" barrel yet.

Is there decent hog hunting down there in Cali?

A few years ago, they had a problem with feral hogs up in Washington state. They were getting so bad that the state didn't even require a license or tag to take them. The hogs were getting out of control and destroying property and crops.

That was about the same time I bought my Russian VEPR in 7.62x39. From what I was told, "VEPR" means or is a name for a wild boar in Russia. So a few of us went up there, in hopes of taking a boar or two with a VEPR :lol:

We did see a few, :shock: No one told us they would have tusks on them like a sabre-toothed cat :eek:

After we all climbed the nearest trees, I think we all spent the next few minutes checking our shorts :lol: while that sucker tried to gnaw through the trunk of the trees :eek:

I know I never got a shot off at him, and I don't think anyone else did either (saw two of the other guy's guns on the ground under their trees - :lol: )

Want to sell me your 28" barrel?

A forum member just sold his 28" barrel to another forum member....anybody want to do the same?

If you have 28" barrel that is just sitting in your safe, go ahead and reply or PM me.

mister_e said:
We did see a few, :shock: No one told us they would have tusks on them like a sabre-toothed cat :eek:

I find that humorous! :lol:

I am very familiar with hog hunting, though havent been able to go myself yet. Many folks I know who hunt use dogs. Many stories of dogs being cut by a hogs tusks and stapled back together on site. Many folks now use cut collars and vests on their dogs.

Should be lots of good hunting in Cali, I know a guy who hunts near vinyards often!

mister_e said:
A few years ago, they had a problem with feral hogs up in Washington state. They were getting so bad that the state didn't even require a license or tag to take them. The hogs were getting out of control and destroying property and crops.

That was about the same time I bought my Russian VEPR in 7.62x39. From what I was told, "VEPR" means or is a name for a wild boar in Russia. So a few of us went up there, in hopes of taking a boar or two with a VEPR :lol:

After we all climbed the nearest trees, I think we all spent the next few minutes checking our shorts :lol: while that sucker tried to gnaw through the trunk of the trees :eek:

I know I never got a shot off at him, and I don't think anyone else did either (saw two of the other guy's guns on the ground under their trees - :lol: )
Lol !!! That's just too funny ...

I hope that doesn't happen to me... I plan on carrying a side arm just incase thought. But, the place we plan on going is pretty rough terrain and they don't do feed bin which I like ( I think that's cheating). But, they also have a 500lbs Russian that roams th land and his been know of chasing hunters. That's why they strongly suggest carrying a side arm... They charge $50 to hunt and if you bag one (doesn't matter the size and weight) its $500 bucks. But, you come back empty handed its only $50 bucks.

I hope I bag one that should be good pork for months for my villeagers...

RippSpeed said:
Lol !!! That's just too funny ...

I hope that doesn't happen to me... I plan on carrying a side arm just incase thought. But, the place we plan on going is pretty rough terrain and they don't do feed bin which I like ( I think that's cheating). But, they also have a 500lbs Russian that roams th land and his been know of chasing hunters. That's why they strongly suggest carrying a side arm... They charge $50 to hunt and if you bag one (doesn't matter the size and weight) its $500 bucks. But, you come back empty handed its only $50 bucks.

I hope I bag one that should be good pork for months for my villeagers...

Ripp,

It's always a good idea to have a side arm with you, especially when after game that big. We all had pistols on us, but again, trying to draw your pistol, aim, and fire...wasn't high on the list of priorities when the hog was trying to eat the tree out from under you and was as big as the one we had after us that day. And even if we could get a pistol shot off, I think we were still a bit under-gunned. :( I had a .44mag on me, but didn't have a good shot at it. One of the other guys had a .41mag, but had such a tight bear-hug on the tree that he couldn't shoot if he wanted to. :lol: The only one that had a decent shot only had a .45acp on him, and I think that might have just made the hog mad :D

The good thing is...no one got hurt that day, nor did the pig. But the other two went up the following day and each bagged one. The largest went almost 300 pounds, the other was just shy of 200. Both had 4 inch tusks on them. :eek: The following week, we went up with a local guide who brought his dogs with him. But that didn't work out too well, as the hog ended up killing one of the dogs and messed up the other two. That was the same 'monster' pig that almost got the three of us on the 1st hunt. I heard that someone finally got that one, and that it weighed in at 467 pounds! :eek: That's a heck of a lot of ROAST pig, pork chops, and bacon - by anyone's standards. ;)

mister_e said:
Ripp,

It's always a good idea to have a side arm with you, especially when after game that big. We all had pistols on us, but again, trying to draw your pistol, aim, and fire...wasn't high on the list of priorities when the hog was trying to eat the tree out from under you and was as big as the one we had after us that day. And even if we could get a pistol shot off, I think we were still a bit under-gunned. :( I had a .44mag on me, but didn't have a good shot at it. One of the other guys had a .41mag, but had such a tight bear-hug on the tree that he couldn't shoot if he wanted to. :lol: The only one that had a decent shot only had a .45acp on him, and I think that might have just made the hog mad :D

The good thing is...no one got hurt that day, nor did the pig. But the other two went up the following day and each bagged one. The largest went almost 300 pounds, the other was just shy of 200. Both had 4 inch tusks on them. :eek: The following week, we went up with a local guide who brought his dogs with him. But that didn't work out too well, as the hog ended up killing one of the dogs and messed up the other two. That was the same 'monster' pig that almost got the three of us on the 1st hunt. I heard that someone finally got that one, and that it weighed in at 467 pounds! :eek: That's a heck of a lot of ROAST pig, pork chops, and bacon - by anyone's standards. ;)

Don't get me wrong brotha not knocking you... I pictured big trees where you can sit @ one the branches. But small ones I myself would definitely be screwed. My fat a$$ haven't been able to climb a tree since I was 12.

I doubt a 45acp would pissed it off. I mean if a 45acp can knock a bear on his a$$, it would have definitely gave that hog a dirt nap. I can't really judge because I wasn't there we'll see how fast exactly my fat a$$ can find a big enough to climb on for dear life this summer when I go hog hunting...

RippSpeed said:
I doubt a 45acp would pissed it off. I mean if a 45acp can knock a bear on his a$$, it would have definitely gave that hog a dirt nap. I can't really judge because I wasn't there we'll see how fast exactly my fat a$$ can find a big enough to climb on for dear life this summer when I go hog hunting...

I watched a guy put 3 rounds of 230gr +P (Corbon) .45acp into one at 'up-close-and-personal' range...we got him to the hospital in time for them to run massive transfusions to save his a$$, from amount of blood he lost after the hog still got to him. :roll:

They've got very TOUGH hide, and an even thicker skull. That's why I carry the .44 mag, .454 Casull, or even a .500 S & W, loaded with heavy full metal jacket or jacketed soft point ammo about 300gr, if I'm out after something that big.

The smaller boar aren't too much of an issue, and a .45 with the ammo he was using would have been fine. Most of the smaller ones will run from you, but the larger ones - you might be on the menu for them.

The one that got him was in the 3-400 pound range, and kept right on coming. First shot took half of it's snout and upper jaw off, second shot was above the left eye and scalped him, third shot was fired as he got knocked to the ground, and was firing up from under the hog. It took out most of one lung and shattered a couple ribs. The hog was about 35 yds away when the guy came up on it. Closing speed was amazing, as it was on him before he could even aim for his third shot. :roll:

Or, make sure you trip your buddy or at least be able to run faster and climb higher than him :lol: just kidding ;)

For those who are still looking for 930 barrels, I got a reply from Mossberg today.

The officially 'Un-official' word from Mossberg's service center is that they should have stock in 2-4 weeks. ;)

mister_e said:
For those who are still looking for 930 barrels, I got a reply from Mossberg today.

The officially 'Un-official' word from Mossberg's service center is that they should have stock in 2-4 weeks. ;)
I'm still on the fence wether I want a riffled choke or riffled barrel. I like the easy of the riffle choke but I know the riffled barrel will be alot more accurate.

RippSpeed said:
I'm still on the fence wether I want a riffled choke or riffled barrel. I like the easy of the riffle choke but I know the riffled barrel will be alot more accurate.

I think the rifled barrel will be a whole lot more accurate. In your case, where you want to use it for hunting, especially for those big boars, I think the rifled barrel would be the ticket. That way, if you wanted to, you could also use if for deer, as you would have pretty good accuracy out past 100 yds.

Excellent Service

Just a shout out here, to a group member - TGW.

As I was looking for a 28" barrel for my 930, Tom had one for sale, I made an offer, and we came to an agreement on Saturday, April 16.

Monday morning, April 18, he had the barrel packaged very well, to the UPS office, and on the way to me, from Pennsylvania to Oregon. :eek: ;)

I can only wish for that kind of service from anyone else I have to deal with in life. I got his confirmation email before I was even out of the shower that morning. I was just getting dressed as I read the barrel was on it's way, complete with a UPS Tracking number ;)

So I assured him that I would have his money in the mail within the hour, and drove off to the post office, to send him a USPS money order for the price of the barrel plus shipping.

I was pretty happy to hear that he got the money order okay, and sat back to wait patiently for the barrel to arrive.

Well, BROWN just rang the door bell, and the barrel is here. :D I must say, Tom, you did a fantastic job of packing it, and the chokes and wrench. Everything is intact, and condition is excellent.

If you should ever need a reference for any other business with forum members, you have my enthusiastic thumb's up.

Thank you, Sir, for the excellent and fast service, and for a great deal, too.

Mister_E (Earl) ;)

Back