• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Barrels

Re: Barrel wall thickness size, on 930spx 3rd rev barrel?

You do have the thicker barrel. The regular thin barrel is already discontinued. Let me check my notes and ill let you know the dimentions.

Thanks...but i went to a local store to get a digital caliper, and when i get home I will measure the dimensions and post it on this site...thanks for the replys....

reyjking1 said:
Thanks for all the wonderful help....greatly appreciated

That makes people really want to go out of their way for you. Incase you haven’t noticed this is a growing site and not much activity sometimes especially about a barrel thickness on a gun that only a handful of people own and I doubt they have the barrel thickness in thousands right off the top of their head. You might want to try to wait more than 24 hours before you make a comment like that

Okay, i am sorry....about the no replys comment...i didnt know this was an up and coming forum site...
but the good news i do have the thicker barrel with the tall sight....

Barrel wall thickness near muzzle = .093" or .092"

Outer Barrel Diameter = .915" or .914"

Hope this helps someone, who needs to know....Enjoy

OK, let’s start over. Welcome to Mossbergowners. Thanks for the contribution! I am sure someone will find it handy in the future.

Re: Anyone have an extra 28" barrel?

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum NullReference !!

Not sure where you live but I would ask Mossberg Customer Service if there was a regional stocking dealer they could refer you to...even if he had to order it for you....gotta be better than waiting for Amazon to come up with another one...

There's a customer service tab at the top and a dealer locator at the bottom of this link page...

============================================

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=32

============================================

Let us know how you make out...!!

$189 at the Mossberg web site. 930 barrels are new item.

There ya go...good job nasa !!

Rep sent...

Hi- decided to join up in case I have issues in the future.
I just sold a 28" Matte bbl. VR with Mod. choke to Corsons Barrels (corsonsbarrels.com). He has it, but he bumped up the price to full retail :( ($180). I found a turkey barrel in good shape for $120 incl. shipping from an individual online from a PA gun site.
A better option is "shotgunwarehouse.com" where I originally bought the waterfowl 28" bbl. Their price for most Mbg. barrels is about $30 under Mossberg's price or around $155. They have a good selection and seem to carry most barrels. Hope that helps...

Turkey barrel Notes

I recently purchased a slightly used 24" turkey barrel with the adj. rear fiber optic sight and front FO sight, and can divulge some initial shooting results.
I promptly switched out the XX-full choke for an IC choke and took it out to test against sporting clays. The sights did not give me a problem at all, but I am a long-time wing-shooter, so I shoot with both eyes open anyway. I did OK for the first time, but the gun has not seemed to have lost any effectiveness going from the 28" I had down to the 24".

However, over at the rifle range with slugs was a whole different story...While the FO sight picture seemed really good (and I am sure it would be for turkey), it did not help accuracy at 50 yards. If I do it again, I will go back to a 25 yard target. Point is, the 24" barrel at 50 yards would not a slug on the paper. Then I started aiming lower- first just below the rather large bullseye, then lower. I think I hit the top of the paper at that point. Since I only brought out 5 rounds, I aimed about a foot low, and produced a hit at about 8 o'clock and 6 inches left. I managed to get the last round on paper at about 4 o'clock and 6" out.
Point is this is next to useless firing rifled slugs at that distance, except for scare purposes! Mossberg said I would need to go to a 28" barrel to achieve any sort of accuracy, and obviously a rifled barrel is the way to go for deer hunters. I also noticed that at least one of the clamped on FO sights, had started to creep upwards.
Mossberg said there would be a drilled hole (5/40 thread) underneath the front sight, so I popped off the turkey sights to save them for possible use. I got a small Truglo green sight, put some Loctite on it, and screwed it in. It went a bit too far, so I backed it off a bit to line it up.
I do intend to pattern the gun out in the woods, as you cannot do this at the range. At least I should have a more compact gun for field use, mostly against an occasional grouse. Hunting with the open choke 18.5" barrel seemed way too limited. I am betting a buckshot pattern will be much better as well...

Re: Turkey barrel Notes

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum sonsimon !!

Sounds like a good setup...post some pics when you get a chance... ;)

Re: Turkey barrel Notes

Howdy! And welcome to the club. Let us know how you like it here. And post up some pix when you get some time. I know we all love looking at them!

sonsimon said:
Hi- decided to join up in case I have issues in the future.
I just sold a 28" Matte bbl. VR with Mod. choke to Corsons Barrels (corsonsbarrels.com). He has it, but he bumped up the price to full retail :( ($180). I found a turkey barrel in good shape for $120 incl. shipping from an individual online from a PA gun site.
A better option is "shotgunwarehouse.com" where I originally bought the waterfowl 28" bbl. Their price for most Mbg. barrels is about $30 under Mossberg's price or around $155. They have a good selection and seem to carry most barrels. Hope that helps...

WoW!! I've been looking for a used 28" 930 barrel for weeks...would have bought it from you in a heart beat! I refuse to pay full retail and no one seems to have them instock.

Another place to check out is LG Outdoors (MN?)- but that was some time ago. Good old Google. I also came up with something like "Natchez?"

Perhaps I should put up an ad for a Baikal S x S with 26" bbl. here? Good shooter and tight as a drum....

Barrel cleaning-FYI

While cleaning the M930 18.5" barrel last winter, I was dismayed that it seemed not to shine up nicely. Now I have the 24" turkey barrel, and the same thing is happening. I thoroughly scubbed it with a wire brush and Hoppe's gel bore cleaner, and I still don't get the shine I am accustomed to on other shotguns.
I talked to Mossberg and they suggested using WD40, but the local store thought that was dumb. He said that the issue is the Mossberg barrels are not made from a solid piece of metal but are made of a powdered metal. While I am not sure exactly what is meant by that, he said this has come up before on Mossberg barrels. One can scrub them repeatedly and you will get the same result: they just will not gleam and shine like other steel barrels.
Additionally, from my experience on the target range, Winchester is among the smokiest ammo I have ever seen...

Re: Barrel cleaning-FYI

Never heard of the powdered steel before...checked the Mossberg site and found nothing to indicate that process.

And that WD40 thing...well, some people use it and some people don't. And I'm going to leave it at that...

Re: Barrel cleaning-FYI

sonsimon said:
I talked to Mossberg and they suggested using WD40, but the local store thought that was dumb. He said that the issue is the Mossberg barrels are not made from a solid piece of metal but are made of a powdered metal. While I am not sure exactly what is meant by that, he said this has come up before on Mossberg barrels.

i actually sent OF Mossberg an email...here's their answer....

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 12:52 PM
To: Service
Subject:

Hello Mossberg!
I am a moderator on the mossbergowners.com forum, and a new member was asking why the inside of his 930 barrel doesn't hold/take a shine. He says it someone told him it wasn't made from a solid piece of steel, that it was made from powdered metal. Is it possible to clarify this for me?

Thanx,
Ripjack13

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on my Android Commando.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

"Service" <Service@maverickarms.com>

All off our barrels regardless of gauge are manufactured from a solid piece of steel.

Thanks for your question.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

As for why it doesn't hold a shine, I do not know. and they did not say. maybe someone else is able to answer that topic...

also...
the only thing i could find on powdered metal and mossberg is one of their addresses....
mossberg service center
101 powdered metal drive,
north haven , ct 06473

so you can tell the local store they were wrong. :oops:

Back