• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Barrels

Re: Barrel cleaning-FYI

Good follow up ripjack13 !!

Only thing I found on "powdered steel" was that it is sometimes used in the making of knives and swords...

I'm here to help.....

Actually, a lot of small parts and pieces are made with "powdered metal" these days. It's called MIM, Metal Injection Molding.
The powdered metal is mixed with a polymer, then injected into a mold. It is molded oversize. Once the metal is heated, the polymer burns away and the part is now a solid piece of metal, the proper size.
As an example, extractors on most Remington 870 bolts are MIM. The Police Magnum uses billet steel.

That seems to shed a bit more light on the issue! Whether or not the Mossberg barrels are made this way is somewhat irrelevant, but they just do not shine up bright like any shotgun I have ever owned. Perhaps the blued field models are different- they look pretty sharp in the pix, but I have never seen one on a shelf.
I did some research on barrel manufacturing since I posted this, and there are definitely different methods: one for example is "hammer forging" which I am sure we have heard of, and those are high end barrels.
I do know for example that the CZ 712 Utility shotgun advertises chrome-lined barrels, 20" barrels, with choke tubes. One can search for a comparison test with this gun and the 930 SPX, and the CZ rates well. However, this is another one of those things you just will not see anywhere...I own a CZ 527 Carbine and can tell you it is a fine gun.

?

There ya go...gumby knows !!

You're a gunsmith or something, right !?

Turkey barrel: upland game

Here is my 930 autoloader for those who viewed my posts...Started with a 18.5" barrel SD; purchased a 28" waterfowl barrel, sold it recently and got a 24" turkey barrel instead. XXFull turkey choke removed and improved cylinder installed. Removed turkey sights for possible later use, and installed a TruGlo small bead front sight.

Attachments

• IMG_4875.JPG
    IMG_4875.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,997
Re: Turkey barrel: upland game

Looking good.....

Re: Turkey barrel: upland game

Yes, I think it should be more than adequate. I would have left the turkey sights on but for the fact they seemed to start to lift off after those Wolf slugs I put through it.
I also noticed that a few of the 4 screws on top of the receiver also were a bit loose after 5 slugs and a round of sporting clays. Perhaps they need a little Loctite as well...
I will say I went through a bit of grief just figuring out how to post the picture, and would have put up at least another one, but I kept getting the message "larger than 256kib" so I had to keep cropping the photo. :cry:

Flaw in barrel

Since I am not able to go out and fire the 930 spx that I bought yesterday. I thought I would practice breaking down the gun. When I looked down the barrel I saw what looks to me to be holes in the barrel right about where the gas tube is welded on. It looks as if the weld over penetrated the barrel. :shock: Mossberge is closed on Saturdays. :( I will call them Monday for a path foward. I do not think this weapon is safe to fire. :evil: So now my mood is as gray as the day! :cry:

Re: Flaw in barrel

Good evening, I do not have a 930, but I have to ask. Are you looking at your gas ports that lead into gas system, and not a flaw? I am not asking this to be rude. Are these the only holes you see, are they symetrical, if so they maybe your gas ports. I am sure some one with this model will chime in.

There should be two holes in the 6 o'clock position for the gas to be ported down to the piston. Take a pipe cleaner and insert it thru the holes within the gas cylinder, it should poke up and thru the barrel at the 6 o'clock position.

I have never owned a gas operated gun before. The funny thing as I was in bed about to fall asleep when it occurred to me that the gas had to get to the cylinder some how. At least now I know that I am not stupid. For I have learned. So I am going to hang around and get ed-gee-cated. :ugeek:
Thanks

I am glad we were able to get you sorted out.

Does the 935 Barrel fit a 930 Receiver?

Just curious. The owners manual is the same for both. I have two barrels for my 930. The 18.5" and the 24" slug Barrel. Thinking about a Turkey barrel now or the Waterfowl Barrel. The gun kicks like a mule with 3" slugs and I assume a magnum shell will punish too. But just for the sake of research. Does anyone know?

Paul

Re: Does the 935 Barrel fit a 930 Receiver?

I read 3.5 shells can damage the internals of a 930. I assume from too much recoil.

Re: Does the 935 Barrel fit a 930 Receiver?

I'm curious to know the answer myself, not that I want to run 3.5" shells in my 930, but always like to know what parts compatible. It's always nice to have option in a pinch.

Back