• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Chokes...

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
I wanted to start a thread to discuss the various factory and aftermarket chokes for the Mossberg 930 autoloader. At the moment I have the factory Accu-Choke set which comes with a Full, Modified and Improved Cylinder on my 28" VR barrel.

I would think for what youre doin, most likely youll be runnnin full or modified? My daughters gun is fixed full choke. I like it. It patterns target loads and bird loads really well. What kind of rounds are you gonna try? Any magnums? What size shot?

I am going to be shooting some sporting clays this weekend so I will actually get a chance to put the Mossberg 930 autoloader through its paces there. I plan to use the full, modified and improved cylinder that day as well as try a couple different loads but mainly the walmart target loads.

I gotcha. If its the 100 round brick, those are what, a #8? and about 1200 or 1250 fps? I had a bunch of the Winchester Super Speed #8's, thats what we patterned through the full choke.

Cool, I'll be interested to know how it does then through that barrel, cuz it may be an option down the road for bird. :)

A quick note, if you you ever do decide to shoot the tactical stuff through it, go with C or IC chokes. The LE type rounds are typically made to function in guns with that choke and they tend to do better in those chokes.
That said, as is known shotguns are individuals, just like people. There will be variances.

I had both my 18.5 inch 590A1 barrel drilled for chokes as well as the 18.5 inch barrel that came with my 930 home security combo model. Using Carlson chokes and also the accu chokes that came with the 930 combo. I also got a Carlson extended full choke to compare against the regular full choke. Using 7 1/2 Federal and Remington from Walmart, I can reach out quite well and hit the clays. Can't tell much if any difference between the regular full and extended full choke. Will have to pattern both some day and compare. The 930 handles these loads with no problem. Not a single FTE or FTF since I got the 930. I am very happy with the 930 and like shooting clays better with the shorter barrel than the 28 inch. But I am using a micro red dot on both the 590A1 and the 930, which makes it easier to track and hit the clays.

Choke tube advice

I am in need of some advice. I have spent most of my time behind a rifle. While I am not new to shotguns I just don't have the same knowledge as I do with a rifle, hoping this site will help change that.

I am going to be sending my 18.5" barrel to be threaded so I can use some chokes. I have a few questions about what I should do. Should I have it threaded for the Mossberg Accu choke or should I look at some other thread type?

The other question I have is what choke tubes should I be looking at to purchase? I know you need to know what I plan on doing with the gun before you can answer this question so let me try and give some details.I plan on using the gun for HD- 00bk, vamint(rabbit, coyote, ect.)- 8-4 shot & 4bk. This gun is also going to be used as a brush gun for hog hunting. I am planning on using Tri-ball from Dixie Slugs for that. When it comes to chokes there are so many different brands, types, and restrictions it just seems to be a little overwhelming. Thanks for any advise you can give.

Re: Choke tube advice

I would give Trulock Chokes (www.trulockchokes.com) a call at 1800 293 9402 and tell them Dan from Mossberg Owners forum sent you. I met these guys at the SHOT show and they were quite knowledgeable about chokes and would be a great resource to contact. I use the Mossberg Accu Choke system and while its cheap and effective their are certainly other options available in the same price point that may be a bit better.

I like trulock from what I've seen. Lots of good options from them! It sounds like you could use a set, 3 maybe. Improved cylinder for HD/slugs/buckshot, you could go modified for your #4 buck and for loads for squirrell and rabbit, and full choke for bird/target/trap.

The folks at Trulock are gonna be much more insightful for you though. Their choke tubes also boast some of the best patterns around!

Thanks for the input on Trulocks. I have already contacted George and he has been very helpful.

Great! Keep us updated on what you end up ordering for your Mossberg 930 autoloader.

Not sure how much AIMPRO charges but give Mike a call and he will gladly help you with all your needs.

Well after a lot of research I am going to give trulock chokes a try on my Mossberg 930 autoloader. I will be trying out the skeet 1, skeet 2, improved modified and extra full for the 28" VR barrel. I am also setting up a 18.5" to be threaded to run the trulock tactical choke.

For more information check out www.trulockchokes.com They have a ton of very helpful information about chokes on their site.

Trulock Chokes: Tactical, Skeet 1, Skeet 2, Improved Modified and Extra Full

p454688004-4.jpg

p107563517-4.jpg

p515902427-4.jpg

p381157239-4.jpg

p270878-4.jpg

p778347409-4.jpg

p690714916-4.jpg

p627590921-4.jpg

It is approximately 2.125" that sticks out once screwed into your barrel.

Back