• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Chokes...

DHonovich said:
It is approximately 2.125" that sticks out once screwed into your barrel.
So let me understand this the choke tube is more for accuracy and a muzzle break is for more lessing the recoil, correct???

DHonovich said:
You got it!
soo does the tactical fall under a muzzle break or a choke tube ???

I kinda want a muzzle break like this
532046.jpg

RippSpeed said:
DHonovich said:
The trulock choke is a bit of both worlds.
will there be any issues on the tactical trulock where I can only use slugs or buck shots??? Is it riffled ???
You can shoot birdshot, slugs or buck shot out of the Trulock Tactical/Breacher choke. It is not rifled however (I don't think there is such a thing as a rifled choke).

I am working on getting a Carlson choke to do some comparison tests on shortly. With the the rifled choke I wonder if that is intended to be used with a rifled or a non-rifled barrel. I assume it is meant for a non-rifled barrel but I could be wrong. Maybe I will have to source one of those to to test out. Thanks for finding that.

DHonovich said:
I am working on getting a Carlson choke to do some comparison tests on shortly. With the the rifled choke I wonder if that is intended to be used with a rifled or a non-rifled barrel. I assume it is meant for a non-rifled barrel but I could be wrong. Maybe I will have to source one of those to to test out. Thanks for finding that.
I think you can you those for the Remington Accutip

"These precision Rifled Choke Tubes are manufactured from 304 high stress stainless steel. Each choke tube protrudes .625 to 1.3 inches from the end of the barrel depending upon which type of firearm the choke tube has been specifically designed for. Each choke tube has a right hand rifle twist, which is 1 to 35. Each choke tube has a groove diameter of .730 of an inch in 12 ga. These choke tubes have a matte black finish and carry a lifetime warranty. If you're looking for improved accuracy from a smooth bore barrel these fine choke tubes will improve your groups. "

I guess I will have to pick one of those up too for testing.

Dan, quick question:

If I am reading the info on some of those links correctly, the 930 uses the same chokes as the 500?

That is correct, the Mossberg 500/Winchester chokes are the same ones that the Mossberg 930 autoloader uses.

930 SPX Chokes

New to the site. Just picked up a 930 SPX and ran some shells thru it this weekend. Love the shotgun! I plan on some upgrades like barrel clamp, larger charging handle, tac light and sling attachements. The info on this site is great! I'm planning on doing some pig shooting and need to see if I can get another short barrel or the existing one tapped. Shot pattern on the stock unit really breaks up past 15 yards with 00 and 000 3 inch buck shot. I would like to double the effective range to about 30 yards but still keep the shorter barrel for manuverability. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 930 SPX Chokes

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum unclebobtx !!

Congrats on the new "Hog Hunter"... ;)

Re: 930 SPX Chokes

You could certainly have your 18.5" barrel threaded and run a different choke that would give you a tighter pattern with your 00 and 000 buck shot. A second option is getting your barrel worked on by shops like Vang Comp Systems or AIMPRO. The third thing you can do is use ammunition like the Federal flight control which will also give you tighter patterns.

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to have the barrel worked on by AimPro. They will perform thier majic on the forcing cone section of the barrel and drill and tap to accept chokes. The question now is...what chock to use for tight groups out to about 30 yards? Any suggestions?

New to this forum, but long term-ish owner of my SPX since '09. I'd like to ask for some choke advice:
Background:
- I use my SPX for both amateur 3gun and sporting clays
- I had my 18.5 barrel threaded and poly-choke installed to give me more range on clays
- The poly works, but I get odd slugs behavior (all over the place) when using it

Today:
- I want to try a dedicated screw-in choke, thinking of Mod or Light Mod
- I called Trulock this morning, based on a recommendation on this thread, and they recommend nothing tighter than Improved Cylinder if I'm using slugs.
- Improved Cylinder only gets me back to where I started (IC barrel originally)

Question:
- Does anyone know of / can recommend chokes in the Mod or tighter pattern that I can still use slugs with?

DHonovich said:

I have a Carlsons rifled choke in 20G if you want one to play with. I did not have much luck with it, but in all honestly I did not spend a lot of time trying to find a load that would pattern well with it.

Hello, everyone. I picked up my Christmas present this past Saturday - it is a Mossberg 930 field/security combo 12 gauge. I plan to have the short barrel threaded so I can use the choke tubes that came with the shotgun. I am also planning to have the long barrel shortened to 20 inches and threaded so I can use the choke tubes that came with the shotgun. But I am also planning to purchase a rifled choke tube to use with slugs (the sabot variety, probably, depending on accuracy test results). I like the looks of the "tactical" choke tubes, but I am not sure they are available with rifling. Does anyone here know if Carlson or Trulock or even Mossberg makes a rifled choke tube with "teeth" on the front end?

Back