• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Chokes...

I run the Trulock Tactical choke when I shoot slugs on my shotguns. It is a really well made choke although it can be a real pain to clean when it gets caked with lead. I have not had the time to test a Carlson rifled choke against it in terms of accuracy.

A loose guide to chokes - always double check with calipers.
Best results per gun/ammo combinations will result from pattern tests.

Cylinder < 20......... 0
Skeet 22.5......... .005 (of an inch)
Improved Cylinder 25.... .010
Light Modified 30........... .015
Modified 32.5............. .020
Improved Modified 35...... .025
Light Full 37.5.................030
Full 40+..........................35
Extra Full 40+................. .045
Super Full 40+................. .055

Yes - nothing tighter than Improved Cylinder if I'm using slugs is a good start.

Howdy,
The original British Paradox rifle was a smooth bore with the last few inches rifled. A interesting aspect of a test could be to include the famous Dixie Slugs Dangerous Game Slug which is designed to replicate the performance of a Parodox load with that rifled choke, but, you might want to double check the specs with James Gates the owner if you were interested. It is a beast of a load and very tolerance sensitive. James is a absolute gem to speak to. Returned my call personally one day and we spent at least a half an hour on the phone in one of the best ammo and firearms discussion I have had in years. I am frankly surprised his products do not get more coverage on our forums. Looking toward to your test results in whatever form they take!

His Tri-Ball load has been great for pigs as well.

http://www.dixieslugs.com/

Best...

hey DHonovich

which trulock choke can I use to thats cool with slugs ??? I want a full or modified choke ??? what do you suggest brotha

I use my tactical chokes for slugs but they are a bit of a pain to clean afterwards.

DHonovich said:
That is correct, the Mossberg 500/Winchester chokes are the same ones that the Mossberg 930 autoloader uses.
Yep - that saved me a good bit when I made the switch!

DHonovich said:
I use my tactical chokes for slugs but they are a bit of a pain to clean afterwards.
The problem with the Tactical chokes is; its considered a muzzle break and throws me into open division ... Which I'm not ready for... I plan on going to open later next year when I acquire a LimCat Razor Cat for a open gun and a Xrail for the mossberg...

I email Mr. TruLock and ask his suggestion...

Mossberg 930 Autoloader - Shooting Slugs

Hi everyone! I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section...

Well my doubt is: I bought a 930 Autoloader, and I'm very interrested in shooting slugs with that! I sew some videos from a guy shooting slugs through 200yards, and I realy wanted to try that!

I've sent a e-mail toA guy from Mossberg told me that I could not shoot slugs or sabbots, because of the chokes that come with the accu-set (IM, MO, Full). But he never said anything about using a cylinder chocke!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: Mossberg 930 Autoloader - Shooting Slugs

Improved cylinder and cylinder choke is fine for slugs.

Rifled slugs are intended for use with smooth bore barrels and are usually used with more open chokes. The ribs on the side of the slug are there so they will compress as the slugs moves down the barrel and account for less than cylinder/open chokes. (they do not import spin on the slugs) I know people that also shoot these through rifled barrels but they do get lead buildup over time. The on;ly choke I would avoid with these chokes is full or tighter. I doubt it would cause any serious problems but why risk it.

Sabot slugs are designed primarily for fully rifled barrels, although some of the lower velocity ones are also recommended for rifled choke tubes (I have not personally found any that had acceptable performance form a choke tube but my testing has not been too extensive). You can shoot these through a smoothbore barrel with no ill effects on the barrel but due to the design of the slugs you will notice a decrease in accuracy and possibly keyholling, etc.. For what they cost, definitely not worth it.

I'm guessing the video you saw was Hickok45. I believe he was shootting rifled slugs through a smoothbore barrel.

Most rifled slugs can be fired out of any choke. You just need to find one that performs best for you. I use modified and IC. Typically the more open the better but that may or may not always be the case.

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the tips! I think I'll be buying a cylinder choke, to be more conservative. It took me alot of time to get this gun and I don't want anything to go wrong!

A friend of mine suggested to buy a carlson's cylinder choke and I've read some good reviews about it.

Thanks again for the help!

I shoot Remington Sluggers, Winchester Super and Brenneke KO's quite regularly an all through an Improved Cylinder choke tube.

If you have a smooth bore, most definitely get "rifled" or "Brenneke" style slugs. I really don't suggest sabot slugs through a smooth bore haha

I'll get to see how well my 930 handles slugs this weekend. Our 3 gun COF has us using slugs on one of the stages. Changed out the mod choke and installed the IC based on posts here.

I have the 930 Turkey Model and I am learning Skeet and Trap with it.

Couple of Idiosyncrasies with it and choke question.

It doesn't like Winchester Universal. They swell up and won't extract, same with Remington Gun Club but it eats anything Federal and Winchester Super X.

My local store sells Mossberg 500 Chokes($12), Accu Chokes($17), and AccuMag Chokes($22).

What is the difference between them and am I ok with the more expensive ACCUMAG (since it shoots 3") or one of the others?

Got to shoot some slugs thru my 930 yesterday as part of out monthly 3-gun competition. I had replaced the Mod choke with the IC tube. Shot pretty well although I can't attest to the accuracy as we were under the clock and moving slightly. Also, I definitely like the 930 with a Limbsaver recoil pad over my old 500 with stock pad. Much more enjoyable shooting without worrying about it hurting my already SNAFU'd shoulder...

OhioArcher said:
Got to shoot some slugs thru my 930 yesterday as part of out monthly 3-gun competition. I had replaced the Mod choke with the IC tube. Shot pretty well although I can't attest to the accuracy as we were under the clock and moving slightly. Also, I definitely like the 930 with a Limbsaver recoil pad over my old 500 with stock pad. Much more enjoyable shooting without worrying about it hurting my already SNAFU'd shoulder...

What model limb saver did you get for it? Pull over or permanent?

MIKE D:
(they do not import spin on the slugs)

Now THAT just blew about 40 years of belief! :oops: I thought that the base of the slug and its rifling would expand against the smooth barrel causing it to spin. Not at all, huh? :eek:

So then - it's okay to use rifled slugs in a rifled barrel?

Shamuspi said:
So then - it's okay to use rifled slugs in a rifled barrel?

Not entirely true. Yes it is safe or okay. However, it will lead up your barrel really quick!! It won't hurt your barrel, may help your accuracy a little, but it will be hard to clean !!

Back