• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Cleaning/Maintenance

Re: Spring length question...

Hello,

Did you ever get this one figured out?

From some other forum/threads regarding spring length, some posts refer to the spring length from the factory tube and not the extension. However I would contact the folks a Nordic since every vendors may have a difference approach.

Re: Confusion about proper loading...

You got it. If you don't want one in the chamber then just fill the magazine. Just be prepared to charge it when needed. I also suggest do it the same way all the time so there is no mental uncertainty.

For long term "low readiness" one could carefully dry fire, and underload the mag by 1 or 2 shells. This would take much of the spring tension out of the equation.

Mossberg dry fire

Hello,

I know dry firing has been covered many time with many different answers. I recently sent Remington an email about this subject and with the Remington series shotguns it is absolutely ok to dry fire. They said because of their firing pin design that it will not hurt anything at all.

I recently purchased a 930 and now I am concerned about hurting it by dry firing, Is the firing pin design in a Remington superior?? How could the firing pin be hurt in a 930? What exactly is hitting to damage it?

Any thoughts or explanations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Mossberg dry fire

I'm not aware of any issues with dry firing but you can always use snap-caps if there is a concern.

im wondering if snap caps are really needed. hopefully someone can explain what is happening to the firing pin during dry firing that actually hurts the gun. Mossberg informed me that they do not reccomend dry firing but in their manual it states to test fuction after cleaning by dry firing.
So I guess if your using a pump like the 500 or 590 and you run out of ammo and think theres another round in the gun and pull the trigger ending with a dry fire, then that it is bad?

I have dry fired all of my 500's MANY times and have never had a firing pin problem.
Now when I was a Remington 1100 shooter, I kept a spare firing pin with me at all times.
I replaced more than I care to remember

kev93 said:
Mossberg informed me that they do not reccomend dry firing but in their manual it states to test fuction after cleaning by dry firing.

I think Mossberg is legally obligated to tell you not to do anything with their shotguns...EVER. The most likely response you'll get is that they'll send you a pre-paid call tag so you can send it in and they'll dry fire it for you. :lol:

Seriously though, I dry fire mine all the time and have had no issues...

i can't see how it will hurt it. I have just read so many post where guys say it will break firing pin. I just would love someone to show a picture or drawing on how and what happens exactly that will damage it when dry firing.

Thats why I was suprised when Remington told me via email that it was ok to dry fire any of their shotguns.

Police and military dry fire their weapons hundreds if not thousands of times, or so I have been told.
With that number of dry fires on their combat weapons the armory gunsmiths would do nothing all day but replace firing pins. Center fire weapons, especially shotguns should be fine with dry fire.
Rim fire guns, now that is another story.

Dry fire your shotgun without worry.....Really on the off chance that you did bust a firing pin, it aint that tough or expensive to fix.

Use snap caps if you're worried about it... or just dry fire away like most have suggested. I gravitate towards the latter :D

When I put my weapons up, they are always uncocked to ensure the hammer springs don't wear over time staying cocked perhaps for extended periods of time.

I know there are many trains of thought on that subject saying that a spring won't take a set, but I have seen guns look fine in all respects, but not strike hard enough to light the primer.

So, I don't ever put any of mine up cocked.

Just my 2 cents.

On those weapons that allow me to, I try to hold the bolt as rearward as possible when I do pull the trigger so the hammer will ride the bolt home whenever possible so the hammer neither directly strikes the firing pin, and not at full swing either.

Breaking in a 930WF

Hello guys. I just got a great deal on a 930WF in Max 4. Never had a semiauto before but doing a little research some require a slight break in. I picked up some different loads today to try out and was wondering what you all thought? It's the 28" barrel model which I am assuming should be able to cycle the light loads. I also have 10 rounds of 3" 00 buckshot which I will fire first I think to loosen that spring up a bit. Any other loads you all recommend?

C1E600BB-7D50-4583-9292-3B934650F45E-6461-0000048C6EFC54FB_zpsda426c6a.jpg

Re: Breaking in a 930WF

Welcome aboard!

Cycling light loads can be pretty hit or miss and is really subjective to each weapon. Some folks can run 1180 fps target loads from the start, while others like me can't get their 930 to stop choking on them even after a considerable break-in period. Looks like you've got the right idea goin into it. A good cleaning of the gas rings will go a long way as well, especially with a new gun. Good luck with it and keep us posted...

Thanks! I am going to take it apart tomorrow and clean the whole thing real good. I am hoping to find a YouTube video that will help in identifying the different parts. Specifically the gas rings, and other parts that need lubing and specific attention. This is my first autoloader.

Welcome from MI!!

I have a 930 waterfowl edition as well. Clean it out thoroughly. I didn't when I got mine and on my first trip out shooting skeet in near zero degree temps the action slowed down so bad it would not cycle. When I took it inside where it was warm it was OK, I could hand cycle it with no problem after it warned up, as soon as it got cold it slowed down again leaving me with a single shot.

The packing grease was thickening up and causing the bolt to get hung up. A thorough cleaning and some Slip2000 cleared the problem up and it's been running great ever since.

I just got it and this has to be the dirtiest gun I've ever bought. Action is black and the camo finish looks faded almost.

I also noticed the trigger housing a little loose. Is this normal? Loose meaning it wobbles ever so slightly with force

Batemaster said:
I just got it and this has to be the dirtiest gun I've ever bought. Action is black and the camo finish looks faded almost.

I also noticed the trigger housing a little loose. Is this normal? Loose meaning it wobbles ever so slightly with force

Mine has the matte black so I can't comment on the camo but my trigger group does have a little play in it. It's not a lot but it's there if you are looking for it.

Also I was reading there is some discrepancy as to which model Limbsaver fits the 930WF. Does anyone have this same gun with a Limbsaver that can give me the correct part number?

MikeD said:
Batemaster said:

Mine has the matte black so I can't comment on the camo but my trigger group does have a little play in it. It's not a lot but it's there if you are looking for it.

It doesn't bother me at all just an observation I made when looking over it. Going to break it all down now and get to work. Hopefully the Breakfree CLP can clean this thing up. I have some WD40 as well.

Back