• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Mag Tube Assemblies and Extensions

Re: Mossberg 930 Autoloader Magazine Extensions

I like the concept of the new design; I will have to order up a set to try out.

I called and got a special model they make for the 930 home security/SPX, supposed to bring it flush with the barrel. I'll post it when I can find it.

Please call them to double check/confirm before you order this, but over the phone, Nordic told me the following:

They don't list this on their site. Model EXT-MB-12-2M will give you +3 and be flush with the end of the barrel on a 930 Home Security/930 SPX. It comes with the nut, cap, tube and spring.

I believe someone a few pages back has some pix of this model.

I will have one of the new MXT tubes in just a few days! I bought my 930 3 years ago and have sloooowly been making it into my version of a SPX or JM pro model..I call it my "Pro Turkey" model I started with a 24"turkey model with a regular stock but today I FINALY put on the Mark 5PG stock..Ryan is sending me a plus 6 tube that will extend past the 24" barrel but after adding a tatical choke or a rifled choke it will be close to even.I thought long and hard on going the extra round but in the end since I will not have a side saddle I wanted the max for my barrel length.It should be here Tuesday!

I ordered a +2 today. Should have it sometime next week. With an 18" barrel it should be about an inch from the end of the barrel.

Re: good article on magazine followers

Is there any data on Mossberg magazine followers? Or maybe this applies equally to Mossberg's? I would assume they would be similar but since that article is specific to 870's I'm a little confused. I've already got a Wolf spring for my 500 and figured I'd replace the follower at the same time for good measure.

Re: good article on magazine followers

ive read online that the 930 follow is a decent one as compared to other makes and models. but, i think this article is mainly reviewing followers in general. i think if its good for one, it would be good for all.

The new MXT is working great on my 930 ! I trimmed the spring to 16" to start and Ryan told me to leave it at that for now on this long of extension..I put 10 in the tube and one in the chamber and just let it rip! No problems at all..I'm keeping it loaded with 10 for 3 days then unload it for one day.The first round pops out with a lot of force but I have not had a double feed yet.I'm hoping that the Carlsons Tatical choke will just barely clear the end of the tube.Since I am not adding a side shell or stock cuff I felt the plus 6 was the way to go.By the way that choke is not true cylinder bore but is ,725 .. I will be looking for a extended cylinder bore choke so I can use Dixie Slugs safely.Go with the plus 6 if you have a 24" barrel. When I pick up my gun I have a dozen rounds if I ghost load one.Very comforting for home defense and I guess for 3 gun if you play that game.A JM Pro'plus'...

bossharp said:
The new MXT is working great on my 930 ! I trimmed the spring to 16"

That seems very short. I'll have to measure the factory spring. If that's working for you thought, great.

I should have been more clear..It's 16" past/out of the end of the tube..A lot of references say 12" to 15" on 3,4,5 round extensions but the plus 6 might need a little extra.I think of the old carpenter who said "I cut that board 3 times and it's still to short"...

breakingcontact said:
Anyone tried out the new Nordic extensions?

I have the new NC MXT +5 for my new 24" barrel. Thats 10+ 1 with a ghost loaded The tube has a recessed area for the barrel clamp, and since both ends are threaded you have the clamp closer or further away... nice feature. I've been working on this gun for a few months now... I'll be able to post a few pics when the barrel gets here...

hagatha

Solved chambering problem, need to know proper spring length

TL;DR (aka Readers Digest version) Remington ammo brass being dented. Is problem, too long of a mag spring, shell stop or just the ammo?

For the rest of the story read below...

I have a +2 Nordic extension and Nordic spring.

I have extensively searched the forum.

My gun simply wasn't picking up a round to chamber on the first round when cycling by hand most of the time, even when cycling hard it often would not release a round from the magazine tube.

So I removed the shell stop and lightly polished it to ensure it didn't have any burs or sharp spots on it. Reassembled gun and same issue. I then examined the shells I was chambering (when they would chamber). The Remington ammo I was using must have soft brass. After using the same round over and over it would go from picking up somewhat reliably when new to not picking up at all once I'd loaded it a few times. The brass actually had a dent in it from the shell stop.

By the time I'd cycled a round of Remington 5 times, it wouldn't release from the mag tube at all.

So I then figured I had too much spring in the magazine tube, 26" Nordic Spring. I cut another inch off the spring so I'm down to 25" now and it still is exhibiting the same problems. I really don't want to cut any more off the spring but perhaps it's still too long which is why the brass is being dented?

I finally switched ammo(should have tried first). With Federal, it loads from the mag tube every time. I cycled the same round 30 times and no hiccups.

So I said all that to ask this:

[*]should I just chalk it up to the ammo?
[*]should I try to modify/replace the shell stop so it is not denting the Remington brass?
[*]am I asking too much that the gun handles all brands well?
[*]am I asking too much from the ammo?
[*]Should I get another spring and cut it to be longer than the 25" I'm currently using? I believe I saw either Lazy Eyed Sniper or M24shooter say the ideal length was 25-28" (and that was for the +3 930 SPX) Mine is cycling 100% by hand now, including the last round which comes out with decent enough force it's just I'm kind of kicking myself for cutting it when the spring wasn't the problem.

Appreciate any input.

This post here describes what I'm experiencing exactly, picture included.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=220942

The MXT is not really that different than stock... The MXT is threaded both on ends and has an indent for a barrel clamp, the clamp can be forward or further back... The extended cap will allow me to fit 9 in the tube, 1 ghost and 1 in the chamber.

There is a significant difference in the true length of a 2 3/4" shell. A Remington #7 1/2 heavy dove is only 2 5/16" long.

hagatha

How to remove Mag tube from the receiver?

I have to get a new one. I messed mine up trying to flare it out to get the Nordic Tube and it functioning right.

Heat it up to loosen up the loc-tite and just use vise grips?

Re: How to remove Mag tube from the receiver?

For those who may be interested this is what I did.

Put some leather gloves on and heated up tube directly above the receiver with a propane torch. Direct flame on the tube for about 1 minute making sure I went around the tube to heat evenly.

Then grab from the muzzle end and twist counter clockwise. Had to put a little bit of muscle behind it but it came loose with no ill effects to the receiver.

Waiting on replacement tube from Mossberg. Should be here in a week.

Back