• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Mag Tube Assemblies and Extensions

Re: Mossberg 930 Autoloader Magazine Extensions

breakingcontact said:
Please call them to double check/confirm before you order this, but over the phone, Nordic told me the following:

They don't list this on their site. Model EXT-MB-12-2M will give you +3 and be flush with the end of the barrel on a 930 Home Security/930 SPX. It comes with the nut, cap, tube and spring.

I believe someone a few pages back has some pix of this model.

I have this version. Just got it last week and to tell you the truth I am dissapointed.

The kit goes past the barrel by 1/8ths inch.

20k6qo6.jpg

I also going through a nightmare right now getting the follower to not get hung up between the tubes. I called for some advice from Nordic and they recommended to flare out the end of the tube slightly to get the tubes to line up. It seems now that the stock tube is a tad bit smaller than the diameter of the ID of the NC tube as the below pic.

27xjwaf.jpg

So I flared out my tube and messed it up. Had to take it off the receiver and I'm waiting on a new one from Mossberg. I'm going to call up NC and see if they can help me out here. I shouldnt have to be modding the tube in order for the follower to not get hung up between tubes.

Worse comes to worse I guess I can use a brake cylinder hone to get the two tubes to match up where they join together.

Re: How to remove Mag tube from the receiver?

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Glad to see you were able to get it off...

Thanks. Now to see if Nordic will help me out in figuring my I have to flare out the mag tube so much to get it to match theirs.

Sounds like that tube was in tight.
I have only 500 mag tubes to compare with, but I have always been able to free them by heating up with a blow drier.

I know that heating will soften loc-tite and most other adhesives, but it will also expand the metal of both parts of such an assembly, which makes them harder to take apart or put back together. Extreme cold (such as with dry ice) will cause the metal parts to contract, thus increasing the clearances and easing disassembly/assembly. I think the cold would also cause the loc-tite to release it's grip somewhat.

When heating up a joint that is tight, either with or without a "Thread locker". NEVER use a torch!!! Where the flame comes into contact with metal it changes the carbon content of the steel... making it softer more pliable, or in other words weakens the steel!!!

If you need to loose/remove a part on any firearm... use a "Heatgun" they are sold at just about every major retailer. The heatgun will provide enough heat to loosen RED loctite, or anything that is rusted or oxidized together... Also the heatgun will not get hot enough to remove the temper or change the carbon content....

Just a little FYI

hagatha

Greetings,

All the follower and tube should require is a good buffing, you can even buff the spring...

hagatha

atxjax said:
breakingcontact said:
Please call them to double check/confirm before you order this, but over the phone, Nordic told me the following:

They don't list this on their site. Model EXT-MB-12-2M will give you +3 and be flush with the end of the barrel on a 930 Home Security/930 SPX. It comes with the nut, cap, tube and spring.

I believe someone a few pages back has some pix of this model.

I have this version. Just got it last week and to tell you the truth I am dissapointed.

The kit goes past the barrel by 1/8ths inch.

20k6qo6.jpg

I also going through a nightmare right now getting the follower to not get hung up between the tubes. I called for some advice from Nordic and they recommended to flare out the end of the tube slightly to get the tubes to line up. It seems now that the stock tube is a tad bit smaller than the diameter of the ID of the NC tube as the below pic.

27xjwaf.jpg

So I flared out my tube and messed it up. Had to take it off the receiver and I'm waiting on a new one from Mossberg. I'm going to call up NC and see if they can help me out here. I shouldnt have to be modding the tube in order for the follower to not get hung up between tubes.

Worse comes to worse I guess I can use a brake cylinder hone to get the two tubes to match up where they join together.

If you gently screw the extension on without the forearm, does it still stick out past the end of the barrel? It could be either the tube isn't screwed far enough into the receiver or the forearm is just that much too long. I trimmed the end of my forearm down to allow the extension to sit down farther. Turned into a mess having to use plastic washers to take up the space after I trimmed too much.

My 930 SPX drove me nuts over similar issues. Sold it then thought I'd try again with a 930 home security. No more Mossberg semi autos for me and all this about turns me off of their pump guns as well.

Anyone have a tape measure? :)

Can someone measure their SPX from the front of the forearm to the the end of the muzzle? I am going to have (I am 99% sure) KA1212 brake installed, and I am thinking about adding a NC mag extension, and need to check what need to do length-wise, spring- and follower- wise.

Thanks!

Re: Anyone have a tape measure? :)

It's 7 inches from the end of the handguard to the end of the muzzle. The muzzle and magazine tube are even on my 930 SPX and the extension is 7 inches long.

930 SPX MAG TUBE TO CHOATE EXT. PROMLEM SOLVED.

93O NEWBIE checking in, posted in intro forum about new to me coyote tan 930 spx. Small problem with the mag tube, load 5 and 6 & 7 round would not go. Could not tell if follower or the rim of the shell was catching somewhere, read some of the infamous post of the choate ext.

Set out today to see if I could solve this problem.
1. mag spring is at 40'' cut it down to 33''
2. polish mag tube and ext.
3. round off and polish follower.

Still will not load 6 & 7 rounds on occasion. Break out the dial calipers and measure mag tube stickout past forearm and from the base of the choate ext. to the start of the smooth wall past the threads. 3/32'' of difference so there is a gap that the follower or shell rim could catch on. Well now what to do, did not want sand that much off the forearm or grind that much off the base of the choate ext. to close that gap up inside the mag tube. I always try to K.I.S.S.

4. Pull out my truck gun which is a Rem 870 with a Wilson Combat +2 mag ext.
remove the bright green Delrin follower and install in the 930, put back in the
the 33'' cut factory spring and load all 7 rounds just like should.

Run 285 rounds Wally World Federal bulk, Estate lowbrass 6 shot, Winchester military 00 buck, and Remington sluggers. NOT ONE MALFUNCTION OR LOADING PROBLEM. :mrgreen:

So now I have my Rem 870 that needs a follower not wanting to put the cheap original follower back in it I take the clean up 930 follower and put it in the 870, no problems with it installed perfect and smooth as silk. Problem solved= HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY.

Re: 930 SPX MAG TUBE TO CHOATE EXT. PROMLEM SOLVED.

Glad to hear you solved the problem. Thanks for sharing. :D

Nicely done!

Thanks for the update and solution...

I use a Nordic Components follower and magazine spring cut to 25" in both my 870 and 930. I had the same thing happen a while back but it was because I stepped on the spring while I had the 930 stripped for cleaning. I like the NC follower because it's longer so it feeds smoother and it's never going to get caught on the extension gap.

Which Nordic mag extension for SPX?

I have read the entire Mag Tube Extension thread and I still have this question. I bought a used SPX for a good price, but it came outta New Jersey, so only has a +1 extension on it rather than the factory one. Since the base gun is listed as 4 + 1 and the SPX is listed as 7 + 1, I would guess I'd need a +3 extension to bring it back. In the long sticky, several mentions were made of an uncataloged Nordic +2M that really adds +3 and goes flush with the muzzle. But won't the standard MXT +3 do the same thing? I don't want to pay full retail to get that special item from NC (I assume $80) when I can get the regular MXT +3 for only $60.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Oh...the seller didn't say, but the +1 on the gun looks like it might be a Nordic so maybe I can recoup some funds when I sell it.

Rob

Re: Which Nordic mag extension for SPX?

Here are some photos:

moss930_magtube.jpg

So there's just a hair under 7" from forend to muzzle, or 6 3/8" from the end of the stock mag tube to the muzzle. Nordic shows the +3 to be 8.3+" longer, so that would stick quite a ways out. Their +2 shows 5.7-6.2", so that one will fit, but doesn't offer the extra round. How does the factory get +3 out of a tube that matches the barrel length?

moss930_magext1.jpg

Here's a pic of the existing +1. It appears to be one solid piece. Seller says it is a Nordic, but I'm not sure. Anyone?

Rob

Howdy Teddydog,

The extension in your photo is definitely from Nordic Comp. I have their standard +2 extension which is 6" long and stops 1" short of the muzzle. The +2M is the way to go if you want it flush. As far as the factory tube holding 7 rounds it's really a crap shoot depending on the brand/type of ammo you're using...

Thanks. I did call Nordic and they confirmed what I feared but didn't want to admit. Their +3 will be well past the muzzle and the +2 a bit shorter and holds one less round, of course. And they do have a kit that they put together using their older style tube that basically uses a +2 with the XL end cap to bring it essentially to the muzzle and generally fits +3. That's the "+2M" talked about in the long magazine thread. But they are the only ones selling them (sounds like from leftover parts), so I'd have to pay full retail. (The stocked units can be had from Brownells for $60 with dealer pricing, vs. $80 retail).

Rob

Guess you just gotta ask yourself if holding the extra round is worth the extra cash.

With the +2 extension, my 930 is at 6+1 and I set it up for a 7 round ESSTAC card on the receiver for quick reloads...

Yeah. That, or do I just want to pay $30 for the factory Choate +2/3 extension.

Rob

Back