• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Reviews...

Question about shooting the 930 for the first time

While my 930 waits in jail, I have a question about shooting it for the first time. I know from reading on here that I should clean it first before shooting. Thanks for the heads up. I have read on another forum that some people, for their first time firing the gun, would shoot at least 50 rounds of the highest velocity rounds they could get. This is to help with FTF issues with cheaper stuff later on. My question is why would this help with cheaper stuff later on? What part in the gun gets broken in enough to make ejecting cheaper stuff easier? I only ask because I have a general curiosity about how things work and it just made me curious. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Question about shooting the 930 for the first time

It's not necessarily the price of the ammo, but the muzzle velocity rating.

High velocity rounds will have the power to loosen up a new, stiff action and smooth it out for using ammo with lower velocity ratings after it's broken in. The 930 platform has a hard time digesting anything under 1200fps, especially outta the box. Although some here have had success with ammo under 1200fps in 930s that have been well broken in...

Thanks for the info. That makes more sense to me now. It's really a trial and error thing.

Yes Sir,

The most common issue you'll get with under powered ammo is extraction issues. The low power stuff doesn't push the bolt back with enough force to properly engage the extractor. Doesn't have to be hyper-velocity ammo, just keep it over 1200fps and you'll be fine...

Good to know. I've been looking at everything over 1200 after reading the forums. Thanks for the help.

Re: 930 spx elevator

Thank you for your reply. I have figured out how to load it but maybe changing the elevator might help. I will look into that. Thanks again.

Why an SPX?

So in my quest for an SPX... The more and more I research the more I wonder why I would go for the highly sought after SPX and not just the standard home defense or breacher? I can buy the extended mag and a better rail system for around the same cost as the retail SPX. They're going for $900+ on gunbroker. For that price I could do a better rail, decent laser and light, extended mag, and may have a little scratch left over to put toward some iron's or sling if I wanted them.

Re: Why an SPX?

I bought my waterfowl edition for $345. No way I would ever pay $900 for an SPX.

Dr. Duct, I did the same thing, I got the home security model and turned it into a SPX for about 675.00

Seems that most, if not all, of the recurring 930 issues are presenting on the SPX models.

My 930 Tactical has been issue free since day one... :D

Yup I bought a 930 tactical from Wally for $499 that I'am gonna add ext. Tube and a rail, maybe a PG stock. Probably build it for a lot less than SPX prices now...

Wally, bass pro and none of the local shop's have any of the 930 special purpose series. The big box stores said that they're no longer doing special order's or reserve due to recent demands. I just bit the bullet and bought a NIB SPX for $775. It's definitely more than I wanted to pay but I figure I can sell the SPX tid bids and build it the way I want.

Last night I orderd...

Black Aces rail
follower
Sling and rings
stock pad
black aces flip up irons
Charging handle
Rail light
Rail laser

.... I got a little carried away.

Im going to order the breacher barrel once everything get's here.

How she sit's now. I have a few more small things on the way. Sling, rail light and laser, charging handle, etc.

Next is a breacher barrel and a different stock.

IMAG0426_zpse6a104d8.jpg

Dr.Duct_Mossburg said:
Wally, bass pro and none of the local shop's have any of the 930 special purpose series. The big box stores said that they're no longer doing special order's or reserve due to recent demands. I just bit the bullet and bought a NIB SPX for $775. It's definitely more than I wanted to pay but I figure I can sell the SPX tid bids and build it the way I want.

Last night I orderd...

Black Aces rail
follower
Sling and rings
stock pad
black aces flip up irons
Charging handle
Rail light
Rail laser

.... I got a little carried away.

Im going to order the breacher barrel once everything get's here.

Wow nice looking shotty! Can I ask where you found one? I've been looking high and low but no luck. I won't pay $900 + for one. I know where there is a 930 Tact near me for $499. I might as well just go get it ~ its killing me!!! :mrgreen:

Chunky Monkey said:
Wow nice looking shotty! Can I ask where you found one? I've been looking high and low but no luck. I won't pay $900 + for one. I know where there is a 930 Tact near me for $499. I might as well just go get it ~ its killing me!!! :mrgreen:

I just saw 5 SPX's for sale new for $572 at a online FFL. They sold out in 2 days. PM if you want details.

awiner said:
Chunky Monkey said:

I just saw 5 SPX's for sale new for $572 at a online FFL. They sold out in 2 days. PM if you want details.

I am new and cannot send a PM. Could you send me one?

Thanks

It was a loaded question.

Just tryin to get you up to 5 posts so you can send a PM... :D

Back