• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Side Saddles/Shell Holders

Re: Added and modified a shell holder to the stock

Are you going to leave the big hood on it? That looks like it could really get in the way.

Other than that, that's really ingenious.

John A. said:
Are you going to leave the big hood on it? That looks like it could really get in the way.

Other than that, that's really ingenious.

yes. its a built in cheek riser and works pretty good with the ghost sights

Ghost Sights...........
Are friggin Awesome...................

I really like the smooth blending of the Phillips screws on your shottie.

Very Mean-O Shotgun!

tacstar or mesa tactical

im planning on adding a 6 shell sidesaddle on my 930spx. i was leaning towards the tacstar but the mesa tactical's price got me thinking if it was made of better quality...is it worth twice the price of the tacstar?

Re: tacstar or mesa tactical

Short answer, yes.

We have had members here post that their TacStar fell off under fire, one that I can remember was during a competition. I had a TacStar on my 590 and replaced it a while back because the screws holding it together kept coming loose. I now run ESSTAC velcro shotgun cards...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Short answer, yes.

We have had members here post that their TacStar fell off under fire, one that I can remember was during a competition. I had a TacStar on my 590 and replaced it a while back because the screws holding it together kept coming loose. I now run ESSTAC velcro shotgun cards...
how do those ESSTAC velcro shotgun cards work for you LES?

They work like a charm for a couple bucks worth of industrial strength velcro and $15 per card.

Have one 7 round card loaded up on my receiver and six more on the vest. The elastic hasn't failed yet and neither has the adhesive on the receiver...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
They work like a charm for a couple bucks worth of industrial strength velcro and $15 per card.

Have one 7 round card loaded up on my receiver and six more on the vest. The elastic hasn't failed yet and neither has the adhesive on the receiver...
sound nice but the only thing im against is the permanent attachment of velcro on the reciever. any suggestion on barrel clamps?

The velcro isn't permanent.

It holds extremely well and is tough as hell, but can be removed and the adhesive residue cleaned off. As far as barrel clamps I don't use any, so I'll have to defer to others with experience...

I've had Mesa Sureshells on every duty shotgun I've fielded since around 2006. My short answer would be that you will go through 10 Tacstars before 1 Mesa will wear out. Spend the money up front, you'll be glad you did.

just returned the tacstar today and s.o.'d the mesa tactical. will get in 7-8 business days...

we have a new vender here,C&D,they are also a mesa dealer and are offering a MO discount.

Yep, my TacStar disintegrated in a very long string of fire in competition. Even with Loctite multiple screws let go, the two layers separated and the unit dangled for a while impeding my loading -eventually I pulled it off but still timed out on the stage. I decided to keep the unit and epoxy and a Loctite upgrade have given me confidence that the unit will not give me a repeat performance. Many rounds later it's still good. Lesson learned.

Thanks for chiming in mingaa!

I thought that was you, but couldn't remember...

I looked at those ESSTAC velcro shotgun cards. Interesting & considerably cheaper. That would allow quick removal so I could still use my (probably getting modified) scabbard. Could attach them to the scabbard as well. Hmmm. The scabbard is the usual Voodoo for a 590. The bolt handle keeps the 930 from going all the way in but it's still secure. The scabbard idea is to be able to attach the shotgun to the truck, a tree, under a bunk, where ever handy without having to carry it and offering protection to the weapon. Having extra shells +1.

mingaa, I actually owe you a thanks. I found the post where you detailed your experience with the TacStar. So based on that I purchased the TacStar and after getting it immediately took it apart and grabbed some epoxy based JBWeld from the garage and reassembled it using this on each part. Then I used Loctite on the screws that mount it to the receiver. I am approaching 1000 rounds at this point with the TacStar with no issues at all and it feels as solid as a cinder block. So I guess I will say that if you are willing to put in about 20 mins of work to reinforce the TacStar then you can save some money.

i think i prefer a more low profile design then when i get tired of it...i might consider the velcro type...

Back