• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Stock Options

atxjax said:
I was going to shorten my standard stock on my 930 SPX but it looks like the tube is too shallow and doesn't have enough threads downward toward the receiver.

I can't get the stock tight without the full length of the spacer. So it is possible for me to buy a 5/8 x 32 die and cut threads into the tube until i can get it to tighten without the spacer?

as long as you don't cut off too much you'll be fine. there's an obvious hole in the tube where a pin is located to set the stop point for the recoil spring. leave enough meat in the tube to hold that pin and retain the spring then cut and tap away

Re: Looking for monte carlo stock

Confirmed guys, my buddy got his Monte Carlo stock today, took 8 days! I waited 4 months!

For all of ya'll who like the Choate Mark 5 PG stock but hate the hard recoil pad and loooonger LOP I have finally found the answer.. It's the Limbsaver 'Speed Mount' Grind to fit pad from Sims Vibration Laboratory!!! After the Limbsaver medium slip on did not work quite right I was bound and determined to fit a Limbsaver to my 930..So I took off the Choate pad and laid it right on the templates in the catalog that came with the slip-on.After a lot of measuring and fiddling the ONLY one that had a chance of working was the 'Speed Mount'..They have 2 models, part number#10540 that is 1" thick and #10544 that is 5/8" thick.I went with the 1" but if your going for the smallest LOP you go with 5/8".. It really feels like shooting a 20 ga with this pad and because of the sloped heel and toe design makes it easy for me put it right in the sweet spot on my shoulder and as a plus it puts my eyes right where I can see the fiber optic sights PERFECT for shooting slugs!This pad made such a HUGE difference to my shooting accurately with slugs I really hope somehow Choate and Sims could work together and make it a factory option for the Mark 5 and even Mossberg it's self going on the SPX and 'Turkey' models...Since the Limbsaver IS considered the MOST effective recoil reduction pad in the world it is a natural choice for anyone recoil sensitive or just likes magnum loads.If I could I would lock Fred Choate and Corey Paulsen in Mossbergs corporate headquarters till a deal was struck! The 'Speed Mount' was worth every penny and I'm really glad I have one on my "CM Turkey Pro" !

I plan to make a step by step thread with pics to show how I modified the Limbsaver to work on a 930 but till then I wanted to post 'quick and dirty' directions for anyone to do it now..Because the Choate pad is so BIG, square and blockey the Sims pad makes a really big difference.In a nutshell you will drill a 3rd hole in the GRINDABLE area of the Sims pad and make it and the Choate 'spacer' one piece The widest end of the Sims pad is to the the top of the stock ....The factory holes in the Limbsaver are not wide enough apart to match the Choate so we are adding one that will..1st shorten the 2 factory pad screws by 1/3" to 1/2"....2nd flip the spacer over to use as a template to drill the third hole in the Sims pad [bit same size as the shortened Choate screw] Be careful as there IS a top and bottom to the spacer and it must be oriented correctly. 3rd...You will need a new short screw that further ties the spacer to the Sims pad [this goes in the factory hole in the Sims pad that was not wide enough] Use the Sims pad and spacer as a templates together to drill this hole in the spacer.Hole size will be the same as the screw you use. By using this 3rd screw to tie the pad and the spacer together it makes it more stable and stronger. 4th.....Put it all together to test fit the length of all screws ect.There will be enough 'overhang' [over 1/2" at toe of pad!] so when you grind it will fit perfect but just barely towards the bottom. 5th....After checking the fit scuff the bottom plastic of the Sims pad and the bottom edge of the spacer with sandpaper and super glue the 2 together..PRESTO!! A great stock and the best recoil pad together! I have not ground mine down at this point [loss use of L. arm] yet as my son had to go out of town.I think I am going to wrap duct tape around the stock and grind with it on the gun but I will check with Sims first.This sounds harder than it is but it really is easy..All you need is one extra screw,a drill bit and glue It is so worth doing!

Taming the 930's Recoil with a Choate Stock

Hi All,

I am a new owner of a 930 HD. It shoots great... everything I load, every time I pull the trigger. My problem with it is its intense recoil. (Yes, I've been taught where to properly tuck it and how to properly hold it.)

In looking at the Mark 5 Choate stock, I can't help but notice the "spacer system" just forward of the butt pad. I've read the threads that recommend Limbsavers, etc. but... have any of you tried taming the 930's recoil with an energy absorbing substance in lieu of the Choate spacers?

Thanks in advance of any suggestions!

Hi All,

Since this thread is devoted "930 Stock Options" I have an observation I'd like to make. My issue with the 930 stock concerns taming its recoil. (The pictures, below, are borrowed from DaveinCT's post, back on page-1.)

DaveinCT_zpsa658d97f.jpg

That long pipe certainly looks to me as a likely candidate for a recoil spring. As a matter of fact, the thread spacer in the next picture...

DaveinCT2_zpsf3495819.jpg

Lokks to me to be begging for a spring-loaded replacement!

I understand there would have to be a provision for allowing the rear portion of the stock to slide, relative to the front portion and I am no engineer. BUT, I would love to see one of you gunsmithing/engineering types come up with a spring-loaded butt plate for the 930!

Just a thought... ;)

Re: When is Mesa Tactical going to make a stock for the 930?

I have checked into this, and the 'tooling' for the stocks is done. The issue is, the recoil spring, and the tube it sits in are too long for the Urbino set up. They tried simply cutting it down, but ran into occasional FtF's. The last I knew, the stocks had been produced, but they were working to get a new spring to include custom with the kit, and maybe even a new spring tube as well.

Oddly enough, it appears the fist batch of 930 Urbino's may actually be done, and they are simply waiting on this detail.

I bought a 930 SPX about a month ago with the pistol grip stock and I find that even with the 3/8" wedge & plate in the stock to raise the comb, that my eye doesn't naturally align with the rear and front sights.
Before I drop the money on a # 17635 Stock, does the Slugster stock have the same or similar type of adjustment for the comb ?

I was so jacked up when the news first came out (seems like a long time ago).

I have just about lost interest and given up hope...

bossharp said:
I plan to make a step by step thread with pics to show how I modified the Limbsaver to work on a 930 but till then I wanted to post 'quick and dirty' directions for anyone to do it now.

Any chance you've had time to take pics/do the write up?

i just bought a 930. when i got it, the shop only had the spx model with the pistol grip stock. where can i get the hunter style stock? ive looked everywhere and cant find one for sale. the pistol grip stock is absolutely terrible.

Your best option is to call Mossberg sales directly and order the stock from them...

(800) 363-3555

A quick scan of the Mesa Tactical forums and it appears they are putting the finishing touches on a project and then it's back onto the 930 SPX Urbino full time until it's out the door. Again, in dissecting the posts, it appears the major engineering hurdle is the recoil tube.

Jerrad,my desktop computer was destroyed by a virus and I have not replaced it yet.I am using my phone till I can replace it and I dont know how to move pics with it.I'have a new one soon and post it.The screen is so small on this phone I have trouble just posting a simple reply..The Limbsaver is the best mod I have done to my 930.It really helps tame 3" mags and slug loads.

Lengthening 930JM stock

Has anyone lengthened the stock of a 930JM Pro, I need to add between half an inch and an inch so that it fits me properly.

Any help appreciated.

Back