• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Stock Options

Re: Lengthening 930JM stock

Nope. Mine is a tad long with the Limbsaver on it. You must a helluva wingspan... ;)

Welcome aboard!

Quick and easy solution would be a slip-on Limbsaver pad which will add one inch to the length of pull...

Limbsaver is an option, slip on extension not an option, want something permanent, don't want anything slipping in a 2 or 3 gun comp.

I have a question, I really don't know if it's already been answered.

Backstory first: I have the 930 SPX with the, erm, rather homely Choate pistol grip. I have searched high and low for either the straight stock or the Monte Carlo version to replace it with, and Mossberg's customer service was a bit more than less than unhelpful. Now, I've seen a few of the custom projects wherein you crafty guys and others have shortened the LOP (which is quite useful for the girlfriend) or REPLACED said stock with a SpeedFeed IV for the Remington 870.

Thus, my question: is it possible to use, say, another stock for the 870 as opposed to the SpeedFeed? I did read that any reduced LOP won't work out too well thanks to the buffer assembly, but say a standard LOP stock? Failing that, would any of you happen to have a straight or Monte Carlo for my 930 that you're willing to part with? Thanks for any help.

Edit: If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Mr. Jose at Mossberg's call center hooked me up with part #17635 for seventy-two bones shipped.

tcecil88,

Still Working with Mesa on the 930 Urbino project. Springs are the issue being worked out at the moment. Planning on having everything up and running by SHOT.

Cool, looking forward to it. Has anyone here put the Slugster stock on their 930 SPX to get a better cheekweld behind the LPAs? I have been tossing around that idea too.

media_set
For those interested,

The Mesa 930 Urbino project is coming right along. Proprietary spring has been designed and tested, should be out for field trials within a week or so. The Project Manager, Dan Freeman, is an absolute rock star. He just developed a tool used to remove the stock recoil tube without tearing it up with pliers. It is a 3/4" nut attached to a notched tube which captures the retaining pin, allowing you to remove the assembly with a 3/4" wrench. I'll try to attach a picture. This will be a reality soon!

Email to Mesa after todays range session.

Well, worked on my 930 at the range today and jacked it up. I had the stock recoil spring at the point where it would cycle 00Buck or Slugs like a race horse, but wasn't content. I went to clipping coils in an attempt to find the happy spot where it would cycle everything from 3 dram loads on up. Well, when you cut the spring down to where a 3 dram load will cycle the action, there isn't enough OOMPAH left in return tension to eject and feed right. Needless to say, I found this out the HARD way. At any rate, I've got an email in to Mossberg trying to get a new stock recoil spring sent out. I'm back down to a single shot until I get Mesa's proprietary spring. Hoping that it works! By shortening the recoil tube, we may be limited to shooting higher power loads. I have a complete stack of 12 gauge from 3" slugs to 3 dram field loads ready to go as soon as I get the spring. Praying that everything will cycle. With the stock spring, the compression rate etc. just wont cycle everything after being cut down. Just FYI, 5 coils (1/2") were cut to allow the action to fully cycle without the spring going into full compression. Another 8 cut coils (3/4") allowed the gun to cycle 00Buck and Slugs flawlessly. Today, I cut 1 more coil and it almost cycled 3 dram field loads. I should have stopped there, but having that thirst for advancement, I cut 1 more coil which caused ejection and feeding problems for all rounds. Live and learn.

New proprietary recoil spring from Mesa arrived today! After install, it feels twice as smooth as the cut down stock recoil spring. In fact, it feels "right". Headed to the range tomorrow with high hopes!

Well, range session went pretty well considering where we've been. Gun was able to get off 2 or3 rounds of every load before FTF/FTE. This was probably a result of me not cleaning the gun for 150 or so rounds. After my range session, I thouroughly cleaned the gun and polished all of the internal metal to metal contact points. Have high hopes for the next range session. Will try to get out again in the next couple of days.

Range session went well. Still a few issues with value pack birdshot regarding FTE's but I have a video of a six round dump of Federal Tactical 00 Buck in 1.06 seconds. Dan Freeman (Mesa Project Manager) also put a video onto You Tube today. We were both emailing back and forth during the range sessions. I'll try and get the video to post but no promises.

Back