• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Stock Options

Re: Lenth of pull

Smitty in CT said:
BenSamp said:
The easiest way to mosify the ength of pull on a 930 would be to get a wooden stock and cut it back to fit, with a thin butt plate instead of a recoil pad, you could get 1-1/2" - 2" without modifying the recoil tube...

Smitty

One could do much the same thing with the poly stock. Just replacing the recoil pad with a thin buttstock plate, as I suggested earlier, would net about 3/4". If you're only looking for an inch, the thin plate would be the fastest/easiest way to get darn close. Not as cool a project, I'll admit, but it would get the job almost done.

SPX Choate Stock Modification

I have the Choate on my 930, it works but is damn long. I was able to shorten the stock nut spacer by 1/8", cut the nut in half, and trim the return spring housing enough to lose the 5/8" spacer from the Choate stock. It required the removal of some plastic on the inside of the recoil pad, but I got the LOP down to 13.5". If Mossberg had just threaded the housing another 3/4 to 1", you could lose the spacer altogether and save even more space, the nut itself would still retain the return spring retainer pin.

IMAG0079.jpg

Yeah... I know... It ain't pretty, but it doesn't show from the outside... :D. The plastic compound of the stock doesn't lend itself to being sanded with a Dremel, even on low speed, just melts and balls up.
IMAG0104.jpg

Before...
IMAG0073-1.jpg

After...
IMAG0080-2.jpg

Re: A little teaser of some of my SPX mods...

Awesome, It has begun. This is how these things get figured out. +1 for ingenuity!

Can you thread the 1" of housing ?

oli700 said:
Awesome, It has begun. This is how these things get figured out. +1 for ingenuity!

Can you thread the 1" of housing ?

Most definitely... I broke my caliper, but I think its 9/16-24. As soon as I confirm this I'll be making some chips...

Well done sir !

I put up a post not long ago on this very subject, you are the man :D can't wait to see what other tricks you have up you're sleeve. + 1 rep point.

A little teaser of some of my SPX mods...

Thanks for sharing your Mossberg 930 mod! Keep us updated.

Re: Shorter Stock?

Hogue makes a 12" shorty. Blackhawk and others make M-4 style adjustables. With care...wood stocks can be trimmed on a table saw or chop saw . When the recoil pad is replaced use a disk sander to carefully sand-to fit the edges

nkeegstra said:
Hogue makes a 12" shorty. Blackhawk and others make M-4 style adjustables. With care...wood stocks can be trimmed on a table saw or chop saw . When the recoil pad is replaced use a disk sander to carefully sand-to fit the edges

not on a 930.....there is a guy around here that posted some work he was doing....I think he managed to get close to 13 lop

EDIT: Here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2220

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum CombatLeverguns !!

Looking forward to seeing pix of your arsenal... ;)

930 short LOP?

Ok, so it doesnt exist yet...

But I have been told the 930 has room to mod it. So my question is for the 930 owners out there. This may be what finally makes up my mind on my next purchase!

Does any one mind looking at their stocks and assessing what it would take to cut it down and be able to run screws back into it for the recoil pad? How much can be cut?

I want something for Allison, and I have looked at so many different things from 20 ga. pumps, the SA20 autoloader, and 930. I prefer the 930 as I wouldnt be buying 2 kinds of ammo anymore, I dont mind the SA20 but its made in turkey, and a pump is fine but we have 3 pump guns already.

I appreciate any help folks!!! Thanks!

Re: 930 short LOP?

I don't think you can shorten the stock much, the recoil spring tube isn't very far up into the stock.

If you don't get an answer by Monday, I'll ceck the ones we have in the shop.

You can glue contoured wood blocks into the stock, if you run out of "meat" to put the screws into.

I just completed a detail cleaning of my SPX about a week back and was thinking the same thing. I have about 3/32" of "extra" thread at the end of my buffer tube. If I were to take that off with a rototool I would only be able to take off about 1/2" from the stock.

Hope that helps.

Thanks fellas, I need to loose about an inch. I have fitted Allison to a 13" stock, and the "typical" DAC and DOH work pretty well without needing anything on the comb to raise the cheek weld. But I have to loose the inch. She can do a 14", but cant square up well at all which will mess up her cheek weld...

I have heard or seen of someone modding a speedfeed stock to work with the 930. If I could work that out, it would be worth it!

I've heard of the Speedfeed mod also, and if I remember correctly the mod had to do with the forward portion where it joins into the back of the reciever. If thats the case, a Mesa Urbano stock may also work, pluss it has an optional adjustable comb if needed. Unfortunatly I have'nt had the chance to play with one yet.

I plan to get an Urbano stock for my duty 870 if the boss man will ok it.

NCLawman said:
I've heard of the Speedfeed mod also, and if I remember correctly the mod had to do with the forward portion where it joins into the back of the reciever.

I think so too. Which ever way I go, the SpeedFeed, a Hogue, or stock, I just need to figure out what its gonna take and make sure I have access to tools to do it properly.

NCLawman said:
If thats the case, a Mesa Urbano stock may also work, pluss it has an optional adjustable comb if needed.

I'll check that out!

Thanks for the link! Nice work too! I dont know that I want a pistol grip, but the work you did def helps to determine what needs to be done!

Dang, My bad, I just posted a very similar thread... Shoulda looked more first.

Back