• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

930 Bolt release removal

Hi there,

Has anybody figured out how to disassemble the 930 bolt release? It looks like the pivot pin is just driven in from the bottom but I can't see a way to drive it out. I was doing some beveling of the loading port and thought it would be a good idea to get it out of the way while I filed and sanded.

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

Re: How much lubrication do fellow 930 SPX users recommend,

I usually put a film of CLP or whatever on all the parts. I make sure the bolt is wet and as I shoot when the bolt starts to slow down I open the bolt and spray some lube inside the receiver. I then close the bolt and spray the bolt body. I cycle the bolt a few times and it runs again just fine.

Thank you sir, was just curious how you guys 'lube em up',lol, and pretty much what I was doing but wanted to double check, again, thank you M24!!!
Stephen

You will notice when you are shooting it as the bolt starts to slow down. When it is noticeable do a few squirts in there and keep on shooting.

Re: 930 Bolt release removal

Did you take your bolt release apart on your Mossberg 930 autoloader yet?

Re: Two Questions

Last range session the clamp did not move. Regarding the number of rounds in the magazine, after reassembling after cleaning I load the magazine just to make sure all seven rounds will fit. I can load seven now since I installed the Nordic 1 1/2 inch extension cap.

Nope,

Not yet. I haven't figured it out yet and I have been distracted by other things lately. I have about 90 rounds through this thing and it has been faultless. I had thought that I may have to do something since it would not always put a round on the lifter using the bolt release if I have 7 or more rounds in the tube. But it shoots flawlessly so I will get to it sometime...

Any suggestions?

Later,
Chuck

I too had issues cycling the 930 manually but when i took her out to the range, she ran flawlessly.

Mossberg 930 wont pick up shell ?? Also jamms.

Hello to all. I just bought a Mossberg 930 4+1. not the spx. And Im having problems with it. Im not sure if it is my, because its really my first shootgun. Now, what Im having problem is that when I move the bolt action backwards fast or even slow, most of the times the shell wont eject from the magazine and at the same time the bolt action just stays back like if the gun had no ammo. On top of that, sometimes it jams with 2 shells on the elevator or whatever you call it when I pull the bolt action. The day after I bought it, I took it to the place I got it. And what they did, was to clean it and lube it. At the store it started to work perfectly. But at home it started to do the same damn thing. Im kindda upset with the gun already. If theres any body who has an idea or an opinion I would really apreciated. Thanks.

Re: Mossberg 930 wont pick up shell ?? Also jamms.

I dont own a 930 just yet, but at a guess, it sounds like the spring length may be too long? There are several others here that can offer much more insight.

Mine acted the same even after i cleaned and lubed it. But it shot flawlessly. It may be the mag tube spring, but i believe it needs some break-in time. I manually cycled the bolt and reapplied lube at the points that look like they needed it the most. I now have much faith in the gun and i can't wait to get out and shoot it again. Especially my girl, she LOVES my gun. :twisted:

Also with my spx i cannot just rack the slide slowly or release it slowly. I have to rack it fast and release fast or the bolt will hang a bit. I am sure more break in will eliminate this altogether. Either way, it runs flawlessly.

Have you gotten to shoot it yet? If so how does it do?

Ill be going this sunday to shoot it with my brother whos another gun freak like me. As soon I get a chance after shooting it. Ill be replying here and letting you all how it shoots.

Oh I forgot. I personally dont think is the spring that pushes the shells. I think is that fork looking thing that holds the shells that is not releasing the shell. Because when I move the bolt backwards I can see that fork no moving back enough to let the shell go, but Ill let you all know how it shoots after sunday.

First, don't ride the bolt home. Pull it to the rear, and release it allowing the spring force to return it to battery. The design is "timed" and if you ride the bolt by holding the handle you will most likely induce a failure to feed or lock in battery.
I doubt it is the mag tube spring length, as that has really been an issue with the outsourcing of the mag tube extensions and springs from Choate, which is seeing the exact same problems in the extension kits that they are selling aftermarket.
It may be that the shell stop or latch (the little hooks/arms inside the mag tube that stop and release the shells from the mag tube onto the carrier) are slightly out of shape. The double feed is indicative of that.
It may be that the mag tube spring, action spring, and the gun in general needs a little more break in period.
Run the shotgun clean but heavily lubed on the bolt and inside the reciever.
Remember that the shotgun is defensive in design, and meant to operate with defensive loads at standard speeds. It is not meant to run light loads typically, although they tend to do well with even the reduced recoil defensive loads.
Some shotguns just need to be broken in, particularly the gas and inertia guns. Go shoot some heavy/fast loads through it with a lot of lube and see if the problems go away. If they don't, I would look at the stop/latch.

m24shooter said:
First, don't ride the bolt home. Pull it to the rear, and release it allowing the spring force to return it to battery. The design is "timed" and if you ride the bolt by holding the handle you will most likely induce a failure to feed or lock in battery.
I doubt it is the mag tube spring length, as that has really been an issue with the outsourcing of the mag tube extensions and springs from Choate, which is seeing the exact same problems in the extension kits that they are selling aftermarket.
It may be that the shell stop or latch (the little hooks/arms inside the mag tube that stop and release the shells from the mag tube onto the carrier) are slightly out of shape. The double feed is indicative of that.
It may be that the mag tube spring, action spring, and the gun in general needs a little more break in period.
Remember that the shotgun is defensive in design, and meant to operate with defensive loads at standard speeds. It is not meant to run light loads typically, although they tend to do well with even the reduced recoil defensive loads.
Some shotguns just need to be broken in, particularly the gas and inertia guns. Go shoot some heavy/fast loads through it with a lot of lube and see if the problems go away. If they don't, I would look at the stop/latch.

I dont think it has to do with the way Im holding the bolt. I open ti yesterday after I came from work and read the instructions on how to open the shoot gun. When I did I notice that the button that realeses the bolt has a spring at the far end of a level, I personally think that the problem is in that area. Either way, Ill be taking it today to the gun shop again today after work, and Ill be asking to get it either exchange for a mossberg 500 or something else. Ive already lost the emotion and the love for this shootgun. I dont think its a reliable gun anymore.

rene said:
m24shooter said:

I dont think it has to do with the way Im holding the bolt. I open ti yesterday after I came from work and read the instructions on how to open the shoot gun. When I did I notice that the button that realeses the bolt has a spring at the far end of a level, I personally think that the problem is in that area. Either way, Ill be taking it today to the gun shop again today after work, and Ill be asking to get it either exchange for a mossberg 500 or something else. Ive already lost the emotion and the love for this shootgun. I dont think its a reliable gun anymore.

So, did you ever get a chance to shoot it?? I, unless you absolutely DONT like it now(?) wouldnt do anything till ya get a chance to shoot it. The springs in the EXTENDED mag's are EXTREMELY too long, and when fully loaded if you try and rack the bolt it has SOOO much pressure on it that it jams up the shell stop, not sure of prob's with the standard tube(M24Shooter is DEFINITELY the guy who can help ya' figure it out if you want? Understand that 'fed up' feeling! I spent almost a year trying to find a new 930 SPX!!)? But, for example my SPX would only load 7 rounds of CERTAIN shells(I thought it was just the luck of the draw), but it had a 36"(!! they sent me the EXACT SAME spring length as my replacement!!) spring and was occassionally double feeding/not feeding the first round of the tube, and I trimmed about 3"-4" off it, and it now doesnt have all that pressure on the bolt catch (which WILL JAM the gun/lock the bolt open when it has too much pressure, as it 'thinks' it is empty, and too much pressure could also shoot the shells out too fast when you hit the mag release/bolt catch button and put 2 shells on the lifter, one being half on the lifter/half in the tube effectively locking up your action). Also, on semi-auto's, I dont think they always reliably eject when 'hand cycling', just cause it is 'timed' to be working a LOT FASTER than your hand can rack back that bolt I THINK, (anyone confirm that, I read or heard it somewhere that I put a little faith in?)? Anyone else have an opinion? Sounds like too long of a spring, maybe that shell stop? I'd shoot it first, THEN figure out what ya' wanna do. I know when I got home, cleaned it, and could only get 6 rounds in the supposed 7-round tube w/most loads I was a BIT DISCOURAGED, but luckily I re-read M24's post on spring length and it made sense why the first round wasnt shooting onto the elevator. Because after the first round it was fine even w/the JUMBO SPRING, just FORCEFUL, hope they arent having jacked mag springs in ALL 930's(which I doubt). I'd shoot it first, but if you're 'over it'(930), a 500 or 590 would sure serve you well as a 'pumper'! ... Yea, I felt dumb. I hope it works out for ya either way :D !!!
Stephen

Also, DON'T LET MY OPINIONS SWAY YOU! I'm 'mostly' repeating what M24, Rossignol, and the rest of the 'crew' here at MossbergOwners.com have told me, and pointed me in the direction of some very helpful people! Have you called Mossberg would also be a suggestion, I got GREAT feedback from a gentleman named 'Javier Contreras', great and VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE GUY! But, if you dont feel like hassling with all the contacting, and checking it yourself, as this IS your FIRST shotgun, a 500/590 just MIGHT BE BETTER? Less moving parts, YOU eject the shells, no gas mechanism, but more recoil.... Thats a tough one.. I wanted to do a plain jane 930 Home Security model w/wood stocks when I thought a 930 SPX would NEVER be available..... Wouldnt ya know it, I waited long enough to get the thicker barrel, new charging handle(THANK YOU MOSSY!!!) and a SLING STUD! I really hope it works out, either pump or semi, they each have pro's and con's... Semi's require a lil' more patience than a stock pump, USUALLY. HAVE FUN W/IT THOUGH, hope this doesnt get ya down on 'scatterguns' in general!! Theres A LOT OF GREAT MODELS to choose from, both pump and semi! ;)
Stephen

Another thing to watch for on the SPX guns or the 5 round models that you put extensions on is the threaded end of the mag tube. On some guns that is a rough area. If you are having trouble feeding rounds with a full mag tube or if you can fire the first two or three rounds but then the shotgun stops feeding, take a small round file or Dremel and slightly polish/chamfer the inside of that area. Sometimes you can feel a slight lip on the inside. That lip can snag the follower and/or rounds and prevent the shotgun from feeding if an extension is used.

Back