• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: Lifter issues...am I alone?

Bizill said:
AH, S**T. they said they aren't aware of this problem and to ship it back to them and there is 2 - 3 week turnaround time. uh, but i don't want to wait that long. i think i may attempt to unbend the lifter myself. warranty be damned. i'm sure if i complained enough i could get them to cover shipping both ways, but guess what, i'm tired of companies across the nation anymore.
Well, inform them your not the only one... I'll probably contact them if it gets too much of a problem for me but as of right now it doesn't bother me too much...

well, ripp, what if it's just the newest generation of the 930? a couple of people have chimed in over at ar15 dot com and say they don't have this issue....

any and everyone, can i get a sound off of whether you have the issue or don't, please? i wish i had made this into a poll.

Bizill said:
well, ripp, what if it's just the newest generation of the 930? a couple of people have chimed in over at ar15 dot com and say they don't have this issue....

any and everyone, can i get a sound off of whether you have the issue or don't, please? i wish i had made this into a poll.
Mine was made 1/26 this year... And it did have that issue before I cleaned it but now it doesn't. Or hasn't happened in a while.

if you can force the blockage to happen manually, then i'd say the issue exists. i make mine do it without even having to try. the only thing i have to TRY at is loading it WITHOUT incident. that's how bad it is for me. in my picture above, i'm not forcing the lifter away from the recess slot in any way. it naturally comes down, not within the recess. can you make your lifter touch at this angle? if so, that's an issue with reliablility that must be addressed.

Bizill said:
if you can force the blockage to happen manually, then i'd say the issue exists. i make mine do it without even having to try. the only thing i have to TRY at is loading it WITHOUT incident. that's how bad it is for me. in my picture above, i'm not forcing the lifter away from the recess slot in any way. it naturally comes down, not within the recess. can you make your lifter touch at this angle? if so, that's an issue with reliablility that must be addressed.
Loading is or was never had a problem for me...

When I first got it ... It did had this problem almost all the time when the 2nd to the last shell pops out. But, even since I've broken here in and taken her to the range and detail clean her; hasnt happen but then again it could be that my spring is alittle longer with the S&J Hardware No Jam follower... The factory unit the spring use to sit in the inside of the follower but the S&J Hardware follower doesnt. Maybe its the extra force of the shell popping out might have something to do with it not getting stuck anymore...

yeah brother, completely different issue than what i'm having. sooo... i'm assuming i'm of the minority. so i need to get this rectified one way or another.

Bizill said:
yeah brother, completely different issue than what i'm having. sooo... i'm assuming i'm of the minority. so i need to get this rectified one way or another.

Yea, mine did that. I think a lot of it has to do with those 40" Choate magazine springs theyre shipping with the SPX's(!!!!!), mine was 36" and I chopped it down to just about 32"-33". Since then I've worked a few shells through it and I havent noticed any problems at ALL loading, and I didnt really notice it all when UNLOADING until the 2nd to last in the first place anyway, but wanted it right. I think it had to do with the EXTREME pressures from the mag spring(wasnt even getting 7+1+1, was getting 6+1+1 with half types/brands of 2 3/4" 00) and now the problem isnt there since I 'shaved' the spring. You might want to check your mag spring length. But your elevator, loading port, etc. might just be a hair wider on some part if it's causing repeated problems, as even before the spring trim I never had any problems really, just a few shells needing a lil pressure when unloading.(if you wanna have NO PROBLEMS when unloading just pull bolt handle half back and the lifter can raise up about a 1/2" which I do to clear long shells w/out having them jam, as it really is already a tight fit, 3" or like Rio Reduced Recoil 2 3/4" which are almost same length are 'pushing it' on smooth unloading) I just practice a LOT w/loading and unloading, the mag spring cut helped a LOT, should check yours, supposedly a LOT, if not ALL have these EXTREME LENGTH springs, think the exact length should be between 28"-34", I'd read M24's first posting on '930 SPX troubled history' forum for the specified spring length, I just left an extra inch or two for positive feed. I'd really like an aftermarket lifter like they have for the 1100/11-87(not same, just same idea of modding it for loading AND unloading, diff enhanced angles and stuff, but MUST RETAIN 'ghosting', LOVE THAT FEATURE!) if all else, until you can sort it out, I hope it's at LEAST letting you load it pretty painlessly :D !

Bizill said:

I've heard of a few people w/minor prob's UNLOADING, including myself, so it's not just you. For now, you can just lift the elevator THEN take the bolt back and it'll let the last shell (or most of them w/urs?) have more room to fall out/lifter can go about a 1/2" higher and ANYTHING will unload then, hope you get it sorted out w/out needing 'Mossberg Intervention'!!!.

it's not much of an issue to me anymore. it's more a flaw that should not exist... not if they want to give it a name such as "special purpose extreme". if it was a "lower end" 930, then i wouldn't expect near-perfection. just that i paid for their 930 "top of the line" model in the series and wouldn't expect this would ever been an issue. ORRRR, it could still be just mine. like i said, the lifter doesn't seat within the recess and it's obvious what's going on and i do keep hearing mention of tube springs. i understand all that and how the tube release mechanism can get bound up under too much pressure from the spring. but that's not the issue i'm having at all.

there is a simple fix, brothers and sisters. but i'm not gonna take a chance scratching the finish of the lifter with pliars to do it. i want mossberg or davidson's (distributor offers lifetime warranty on all their guns) to make it right. until then, i have no real problems loading. but if i am in a position where i'm under duress, i don't want this to become an issue that i've thus far decided to just live with.

i'm still not convinced you gents understand my issue here...which leads me to believe i'm alone in this. i hope that is the case and it gets rectified asap because i hate to defame a shotgun i've grown to love despite its short-comings. rock on fellas and felletes, and thanks for the input. keep it coming if you wish. it's appreciated.

Bizill said:
okay, this should go into the "930 issues" thread but i wanted to broaden my exposure. i've had this issue since i got the 930 spx and i don't know if it only affects me or everyone else as well. say you have a full magazine tube and want to do the quick empty using the release button. there is the recess milled out of the bottom of the bolt assembly that allows the lifter to rest to give enough clearance when loading and unloading the mag tube.

well, my problem is that the lifter often times does not rest in the recess but rather just to the side of it. and this causes the shell to hit the lifter and remain stuck until i give sideways pressure to the lifter to push it over, allowing it to fall into the recess. this actually happens ALOT. i have no idea if the recess should have been wider, or if my trigger housing and connected lifter are too sloppy and causes the issue or if the lifter itself should be bent a more obtuse angle. or perhaps the recess should have been milled wider.

this poses a big problem if i ever have to use this in a home defense situation. it affects both loading and unloading. i've been "dealing" with it and putting up with it until just now when i was showing my girlfriend how to load and unload the spx if i'm not around and she needs to use it. i found myself instructing her how to "lessen" the chances of the lifter not resting within the recess and i felt like i was teaching her how to jury rig the gun.

am i the only one here, because if so, i'm calling mossberg tomorrow. otherwise, if it happens to all of us, then a re-engineering is in order on their part for future production runs. that, and a replacement part/s for me when they become available. this is no longer acceptable to me. and this sucks because both me and my girlfriend LOVE this shotgun!

relief1.jpg

relief2.jpg

I think I see what you're talking about, looking at mine in comparison to yours it looks like your lifter is uneven, or bent, and I cant tell from pic?? I'm not familiar with this, so I think you have a DIFFERENT PROBLEM, being manifested, 'sympomwise' the same as those from long springs. Might have to send it out to Mossy or if ur good and really dont care about the warranty, do it yourself like you said?
Do Let Us Know!
Stephen :D

Exactly, my friend. The lifter runs in-line with the trigger pack, but with sooo much slop between the trigger pack and the receiver, it makes matters worse. Then the lifter misses the slot on the underside of the bolt. Then the shelk coming out of the tube hits the end of the lifter and will not come out at all so i then have ti find a way to push it back into the tube....or else if i let go of the lifter, the shell lands on top of the lifter in what i call "the ghost staging area".

So, the question is, can you at least FORCE your lifter open and miss the slot by pushing the lifter (and trigger pack) by pushing it toward the receiver opposite the charging handle? Mine does this almost naturally. The smallest amount of force that is not exactly straight down screws my gun up easily. I just thought this was normal, and if so, mossberg needs to be called out on it. Otherwise, if it's just mine..... don't i just have all the luck. Must have gotten myself a lemon. Bent choate extension, canted slightly sight, bent replacement extension and even the third is off, but useable. I'm wondering if my loose trigger pack is what causes my bolt to jam up HARD with the lifter when i start with the bolt locked OPEN, barely tap the release by accident vs a normal press and them whammo! A jam occers that takes my incredible hulk strength to release. ALK this... and i still love my spx. Go ahead and label me a die hard.

Bizill said:

I have the same issue as you when I look at the pic with the red circle. But mine doesnt seem to jam the shell anymore. I'll have take a pic for comparison...

yeah, it only jams when i don't consciously force myself to load it by depressing STRAIGHT down. the hands and fingers don't move in a linear motion like a robot would, but i've got myself trained to be better than the gun. but what brought this issue to light is having someone ELSE load or unload it. it doesn't affect function of the gun while cycling under fire. this is strictly a load/unload issue. but it's quite embarassing to have it jam up and then have to make excuses for the gun. i will say this though, this issue has really lowered the bar for future shotguns for me. a buddy of mine has an inexpensive mossberg 500 and the shells load into there so easily, i could do it with my bunghole.

Bizill said:
yeah, it only jams when i don't consciously force myself to load it by depressing STRAIGHT down. the hands and fingers don't move in a linear motion like a robot would, but i've got myself trained to be better than the gun. but what brought this issue to light is having someone ELSE load or unload it. it doesn't affect function of the gun while cycling under fire. this is strictly a load/unload issue. but it's quite embarassing to have it jam up and then have to make excuses for the gun. i will say this though, this issue has really lowered the bar for future shotguns for me. a buddy of mine has an inexpensive mossberg 500 and the shells load into there so easily, i could do it with my bunghole.

I KNOW!! It's so like the coolest/EASIEST loading system, the Mossberg 500/590/590A1, just put shell in, or DROP IT IN, then press forward, SIMPLE! Too bad most all shotty's cant be like that w/the 'anti-jam elevator' that disappears into nothingness.... Till you need it! GREAT DESIGN IMHO!

Stephen

If the lifter is inline with the long axis of the trigger group, and there is enough slop in the fit of the trigger group to the receiver for the whole assembly to be pushed into alignment with the recess in the bottom of the bolt while the whole thing is assembled and the trigger pins in, there may be a way to fix this yourself.
You can use some adhesive backed aluminum tape on the inside of the receiver as a shim to put the trigger group into alignment. Just an option if you didn't want to send it to OFM.
That said, there is no reason to accept an improperly aligned trigger group.

m24shooter said:
If the lifter is inline with the long axis of the trigger group, and there is enough slop in the fit of the trigger group to the receiver for the whole assembly to be pushed into alignment with the recess in the bottom of the bolt while the whole thing is assembled and the trigger pins in, there may be a way to fix this yourself.
You can use some adhesive backed aluminum tape on the inside of the receiver as a shim to put the trigger group into alignment. Just an option if you didn't want to send it to OFM.
That said, there is no reason to accept an improperly aligned trigger group.

it's a matter of principle. i shouldn't accept this in a firearm that wears the moniker of "SPX", like it's really supposed to be a special purpose xtreme or something. i don't know if they just wanted to dub it something cool, or if they actually expect it will live up to its name.

i mean, in all honesty, if i am in my house protecting my family and i reach for the shotty vs the glock and my lips are bumbling all over the place whilst my hands are trembling and my urine is flowing, do i REALLY want to have an issue with reloading??? take that scenario and play it through your mind awhile. :twisted: :lol:

I totally agree with you.
As far as posting negative information, do it. I posted several long threads about OFM's constant screw ups with the shotgun, and mention the known issues in the review.
Maybe they will eventually listen.

m24shooter said:
I totally agree with you.
As far as posting negative information, do it. I posted several long threads about OFM's constant screw ups with the shotgun, and mention the known issues in the review.
Maybe they will eventually listen.
+1 to this, whenever I come across threads with negatives I send a message to Mossberg for them to check it out. They want to hear the good and bad about their products.

cool deal. i'd like to remind you all that i'm certain mossberg will rectify the situation. it's just an arduous process getting it done for a flaw that should have never manifested itself. i'm not willing to lose my gun for 2-8 weeks sending it back to mossberg on my dollar. i also refuse to jury rig my gun.

that's why i'm glad i chose davidson's as a distributor. i've spoken with them and they will do some sort of swap out. obviously that means a new serial number and i'm not sure if my dealer will have to charge me a new ffl fee. davidson's said they'll cover shipping both ways. now it's just a matter of when they'll get some back in stock! mossberg, please take care of davidson's and thus, take care of me! also, on your future runs, check the slop/excessive play in the trigger group inside the receiver. something is seriously going wrong there.

an fyi, another way of describing what causes my malfunction is that i can place a finger in the relief end fo the lifter and easily make it touch the receiver on the side opposite the charging handle. the lifter does remain pretty much dead parallel to the charging handle side of the receiver. LOTS of slop going on over here. excessively so.

m24shooter said:
... there is no reason to accept an improperly aligned trigger group.

I agree with completely with this.

Back