• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

I am a newbie to this Forum and appreciate being added. I have owned a Mossberg 590A1 which I really like and decided to add a 930. I took delivery last week from my FFL after ordering from a reputable online store. When I got it home I took it down to my workbench to break it down and thorougly clean it. When I pulled the bolt back to lock it I immediately heard a rattle. I shook the gun a bit and a small L-shaped piece of metal fell out of the loading port onto the workbench. It is a part of the ejection mechanism. I can't call Mossberg on a Saturday and will have to wait until Monday. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem. If this has been answered elsewhere, I apologize as I am new to this forum and haven't had a chance to go through the posts. Thanks for your help.

Welcome aboard.

Haven't had this issue, but I'm sure we can help you figure it out. Can you post a photo of the part that fell out?

I realized I should have included an image. My second vocation for 45+ years was as a photographer, you would think that would be the first thing I would do. Here is the image. The piece is roughly 1cm x 1 cm.930 extractor 4x6.jpg930 extractor 4x6.jpg

Thanks. I had put it back in but my question is what keeps it from falling out again. There does not appear to be anything like a spring that put any tension on it so it won't fall out again. I have upgraded extractors in other guns over the years and have never seen anything quite like this. Isn't there a spring or something to keep it under tension? This gun is totally different than my 590a1 with it dual extractors. Thanks again for your help. It is just curious to me that it just "dropped out".

It's been a while since I've had mine apart.

I'll take a look sometime later this evening and post back. Might be tomorrow since the Mrs. and I are doing the Valentines day thing thing. Either way we should be able to get you squared away without having to get in touch with Mossberg next week...

No hurry! I just appreciate your help. This is something that I have spent some time researching and have found that the bolt assembly information is very hard to find. One post I saw that Mossberg will send out new extractors and springs but balks at giving out details as to the installation or any details about the bolt assembly. "Forbidden territory" I guess.

Thanks again and as I said, no hurry.

That's because their lawyers insist on stating that only Mossberg techs or certified gunsmiths are authorized to replace parts or make repairs...

Thanks. I had put it back in but my question is what keeps it from falling out again. There does not appear to be anything like a spring that put any tension on it so it won't fall out again. I have upgraded extractors in other guns over the years and have never seen anything quite like this. Isn't there a spring or something to keep it under tension? This gun is totally different than my 590a1 with it dual extractors. Thanks again for your help. It is just curious to me that it just "dropped out".

Took a look at my 930 bolt...

Here's a close-up of the plunger that puts tension on the extractor and hold it in place...

Is this plunger and extractor spring still in place in your bolt? If so, you need only to depress the plunger to clear the extractor channel, then install the extractor and release the plunger. This should hold everything in place...

Thanks. I think that the plunger is stuck in a back position so that it is not visible through the opening. I can see it but it it does not appear to move freely. It looks like it may be a bit gunked up inside. I am going to spray a bit of cleaner in there and see if it frees it up. Thanks again. I will let you know what happens so we can add to the knowledge data base.

An excellent suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't have one available. After soaking overnight and then cleaning out the cavity where the extractor resides I have had no luck with the rod and spring. If you look at the image I am posting you can still see gunk around the rod. I have tried to push on it with a drift punch but it does not move. It seems to be seated firmly against the spring. I am assuming that the spring is at the base. I have always used ballistol for my cleaning and lubricating but maybe I need something a little stronger. As I may have noted previously this extractor is a bit different than I am used to given that my only other shotgun, at least of recent vintage, is a 590a1. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.Mossberg 930 extractor #2.jpg

Just an FYI for anyone following this thread. While letting my extractor plunger and spring soak in penetrating oil for a few hours I did some further Google searches regarding similar problems. I found two identical situations to the one I am experiencing. I did not mention that this occurred when I was unboxing the brand-new, unused gun and was preparing it for a thorough cleaning. My very first action with the 930 was to lock the bolt back and that is when the extractor popped out. Back to my research. The problem in both cases turned out to be that the plunger was rusted solidly in place. Ultimately gunsmiths were able to release it by applying heat so good call Walster. The method of heat application was not discussed. Tomorrow I will give it a try.

Thanks Norm. We were snowed in yesterday so I could not get out to check. I have two auto parts stores within 2 miles of my house and had planned to check there today. But last night, I had at least a partial success. After a couple of days of applying solvent and letting the bolt assembly sit in a vertical position so the solvent could work its way down I was able to free up the detent by gently but firmly applying pressure with a drift punch. It several about ten minutes after I first felt movement to free it up enough so that I could pull it out with a pair of small forceps. I then stuck the drift punch down the shaft and began to work the spring. Again it took awhile before it moved freely. When I sprayed solvent down the shaft to flush it out a lot of brown stuff came out. I don't know whether it was rust or some of the brown stuff that was throughout the gun that I assume was a protectant.

This was last night. The spring did not drop out so I placed the bolt assembly on end and filled the shaft with solvent and have let it soak overnight. Before doing that I was able to install the detent and extractor and the detent seemed to be exerting strong tension on the extractor.

I did receive an email this morning from a Mossberg rep wanting additional information on my situation. I sent a rather lengthy reply detailing everything from the initial identification to what I had done through last night. I am hoping that today the spring will fall free because if it is damaged by rust then it may fail at some point and I will not be able to extract it in order to replace it.

I will post what happens and supply some pictures of the removed components, assuming I can remove the spring. Thanks to everyone who has responded to my initial and subsequent posts. The positive thing about this is that the whole gun has had a thorough cleaning and I now understand its operation much better than I normally would at this point of ownership. Being an owner of only a single shot shotgun as a boy and a pump shotgun more recently the semi-auto is another world. Even though I have a Ruger Mini 14, Colt AR-15 and Ruger 10/22, the 930 is a different beast.

Back