• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

When my 930 SPX was new, it did exactly the same thing with Federal buckshot. With just a little prodding, Mossberg CS sent me a return label. It appears they honed the chamber. All I know is it now runs those same Federal loads, and everything else I've tried, Like a top.

Note: When I sent the shotgun back, I included several of the offending fired hulls and a note telling them that they had been fired in this shotgun. I don't know if it made any difference, but at least they would be able to see the problem.

Last edited:
When my 930 SPX was new, it did exactly the same thing with Federal buckshot. With just a little prodding, Mossberg CS sent me a return label. It appears they honed the chamber. All I know is in now runs those same Federal loads, and everything else I've tried, Like a top.

Note: When I sent the shotgun back, I included several of the offending fired hulls and a note telling them that they had been fired in this shotgun. I don't know if it made any difference, but at least they would be able to see the problem.

Well I sent it off today with some of the offending hulls just as you did so I'll wait and see what happens. I really hope they can get it right because I really do like the shotgun, just one of those things I guess. And thanks for the heads up about sending the hulls.

I hope it works out as well for you as it did for me. I believe it will.

UPDATE

Well I've had the shotgun back for a couple of months and have gone out for four rounds of clays and the first three went off without a hitch using heavy target loads but the fourth round (btw these were on separate days with cleaning between each) I tried light target loads and on the last three stations I once again experienced failures to extract and had to use a cleaning rod to knock the hulls out of the chamber.

Looks like for my use the shotgun will be a no go maybe for hunting or home defense it would be just fine.

Are you saying you're issue is a stuck shell on the lifter, after the previous shell is FTE ..........is that what's happening?

My 930 spx will cycle anything over 1300 fps no problem, not so much on soft loads.
Was wandering what upgrades to make her cycle anything would be.
http://www.or3gun.com/OR3GUN/about_or3gun_combo.htm
What combo kit is best from or3gun above ? Or is there a better way to go ?
Help ! Would like to do everything at one time and be done. 930 is a late 2014 model if that makes a difference.
Cheers on this hot Sunday.

LES, but don't mind spending a few extra bucks, do you feel the spacer tube is the only thing needed ? What about the plunger and follower ? As well, the spacer tube is offered in competition or multi use. Would the multi use be better suited for me. I do not do 3 gun, trap,or skeet.
Thanks for the info and link you shared.

Last edited:
If you think you need the multi-use kit, go for it. That's a pretty good deal on the combo. I just needed mine to stop choking on light loads and the spacer tube alone worked for me. The only other aftermarket parts on mine are the stock and tube extension. All other components are factory...

I've taken my 930 down and cleaned the piston and sleeve several times. Still had issues. Wouldn't cycle light rounds etc. I could have lived with that if I had seen no issues with defense loads, but I did. Had FTE and light/no strike because the bolt wasn't seating fully. A manual cycle and it would fire. When I would take it down I'd notice the sleeve had drag, even after a fresh clean. I couldn't tolerate that in a HD gun. So I did order the OR3GUN multi kit with sleeve, plunger and forearm spacer. I'm hoping that does the trick. I love the gun as it is setup, but need reliability as close to 100% as I can get. Looking forward to the sleeve kit arrival. Will post a follow up on results.

The only other changes I want to make is to add the XS Big Dot. I have that same sight on the Glock 17 and Shield. I like the sight and I like consistency. Not crazy about the epoxy process, but reviews seem good, so I will ty it. And finally, I'd like to add a welded lifter. My thumb will thank me...

Adding to the post above. I did send my lifter to C-Rums to have the lifter welded. He said a week to 10 days turn around.

The OR3GUN spacer tube, forearm spacer and plunger kit arrived. So I can't wait to reassemble and test the 930 when all is complete.

I received the welded lifter back from C-Rums. EXCELLENT turn-around time. I highly recommend them. I am still having problems with the bolt not going into full battery. I have to push it forward after each shot. Also have some shells (Seems like Fiocchi is a primary culprit) that the ejector will rip the edge off the shell and it won't eject. I have taken to carrying a long dowel rod to the range with me to force the spent shell out. I will be polishing the chamber next after reading many pages of this thread, and I am going to do the Brownells shell stop polish also. I will not give up until I get this gun cycling properly. I wouldn't consider selling it in this condition. I wish Mossberg had the same moral approach. I don't mind tinkering with my guns, but honestly, this is getting to the point of being quite silly. Mine is a later model that I purchased a few months ago. Oh, and I also ordered the 16801 Ruger 10-22 heavy hammer spring.

I don't see a lot of activity on the 930 boards, which has me concerned. Either everyone has given up, or they have all fixed their issues. Neither bodes well for me.

I may get the 930 into satisfactory condition, but I won't be confident in it until I can run it with hundreds of rounds with no failure. I am beginning to wish that I had gone the extra $$$ and got a higher end defensive shotgun. But I am in it now and have to press on.

To be continued...

I received the welded lifter back from C-Rums. EXCELLENT turn-around time. I highly recommend them. I am still having problems with the bolt not going into full battery. I have to push it forward after each shot. Also have some shells (Seems like Fiocchi is a primary culprit) that the ejector will rip the edge off the shell and it won't eject. I have taken to carrying a long dowel rod to the range with me to force the spent shell out. I will be polishing the chamber next after reading many pages of this thread, and I am going to do the Brownells shell stop polish also. I will not give up until I get this gun cycling properly. I wouldn't consider selling it in this condition. I wish Mossberg had the same moral approach. I don't mind tinkering with my guns, but honestly, this is getting to the point of being quite silly. Mine is a later model that I purchased a few months ago. Oh, and I also ordered the 16801 Ruger 10-22 heavy hammer spring.

I don't see a lot of activity on the 930 boards, which has me concerned. Either everyone has given up, or they have all fixed their issues. Neither bodes well for me.

I may get the 930 into satisfactory condition, but I won't be confident in it until I can run it with hundreds of rounds with no failure. I am beginning to wish that I had gone the extra $$$ and got a higher end defensive shotgun. But I am in it now and have to press on.

To be continued...

I was having the same issues, but seemed to have gotten them solved.
The Wolff 10/22 hammer spring solved all my light strike issues.
If you look at my aluminum pusher thread, you will see I ended up with a lighter reciprocating assembly than the stock parts. Although I went with the competition MST as opposed to the multi-use tube. I've also since made a recoil plunger that is lighter than the factory piece, helps keep the spring from dragging on the ID of the recoil tube, but doesn't reduce the spring rate.
Check to see that there are no burrs causing the bolt to drag in the receiver. I used a super fine Arkansas stone to address that, as I discovered those issues right off.
Also check that the pusher is not binding in the fore end somehow.
I am by no means a shotgun expert, but I hope some of this helps.

Thanks Greg. I did see that pusher thread. Very nice machining. I ordered the 10-22 spring, it is an inexpensive item to try and seems to help a lot of guys. I polished the mag tube last night. I am going to get some 3000 grit today and hit it a final time. I may cold-blue it, but not until the gun is cycling properly. And I did find one small burr in the receiver housing. Just enough for my fingernail to catch. I used the dremmel and polished that too. Finally, last night, I did the Brownell link, where I polished the shell stop and cleaned out the gunk from the slide release button.

So, I guess my plan will be to continue eliminating variables until I find the solution. Hoping that I end up with a reliable gun that I can eventually trust. I just find it amazing that so many have issues with the 930 and that it takes so much to fine tune them. It really shouldn't be that way, but I'll deal with it as best I can.

Thanks, and glad to hear from another member. I was beginning to wonder if I was all alone in here now! LOL.

After all of the issues I have run into (Already listed on the forum), I find the 22" vented rib barrel is warped.

Anyone want to buy a "slightly used" 930SPX with both SPX and 22" vented rib barrel (Has new pusher assembly, fire control group, bolt carrier assembly, stainless steel piston plus standard piston, forend) for $700 plus shipping to a local FFL?

So I have a 930 an have used it to shoot some local three gun, 18 bbl ran bird shot and no problems. Decide to buy rifled 22 inch bbl from Mossberg to use for deer hunting. Change barrels , Zero the gun, runs fine, but only loading one round at a time to zero. Go hunting and the first round goes off fine, second round just a click, jack back charging handle and it picks up round but doesn't fire, jack in another and no Bueno again. Get home and go out back fires four rounds no problem. Me thinks its OK now. next day see deer fires first round and no second, look at gun and two rounds are in feed tray totally jammed. clear gun. Take apart and clean everything, tested loading and ejecting rounds and sometimes its fine then pull bolt back and no round in feed tray. then clear, and next time two rounds are in feed tray jammed again. sometimes pulling bolt multiable times and no round goes in feed tray. As another discovery is that if there is a round in the chamber and I hit the bolt release another round enters the feed tray. I never noticed this before, if its suppose to do that or not?? don't ever remember trying it before, but I would think NOT. I had thought that maybe I hit the bolt release prior to the first shot and that jammed up the rifle. Any Ideas what to do ??????

Yes, depressing the bolt release will let one round out of the mag tube. It's that way for unloading the mag tube without cycling them all through the chamber. Hold the lifter up, hit the bolt release & it spits one round into your hand.

i had two issues with my SPX Blackwater when it was new -
1) Inconsistent cycling with lighter loads
2) Couldn't feed the mag tube to capacity

Solved very easily -
1) Cut stock spring down about 4"
2) Replaced stock follower with a G&G
3) Replaced stock spacer tube with an ORG3GUN Multi-use tube.

Since doing this, my Blackie hasn't missed a beat nor had a failure to feed or eject, and it loads to capacity every time. And of course keeping the gas piston, mag tube and gas cylinder well cleaned and Frog- lubed certainly helps. Now it runs the way I wanted it to right from the start. :)

That's the problem i have with the 930SPX, 930 JM Pro series, ect.

You have to solve problems straight out of the box and that should not be for a shotgun marketed to three gunners as three gun ready shotguns.

There are only two guns I own that I had to troubleshoot issues out of the box, the 930 and a Savage Model 64. The 64 was way rough, but finished up with an emory cloth.
Runs like a champ now. The 930, well after replacing everything but the receiver, magazine tube, and recoil spring tube, I am looking to sell it to the first devotee that wants it.

It's a real shame too as the 930 has GREAT potential, but Mossberg just has little to no manufacturing quality control anymore.

Back