• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

I am currently waiting on my JM Pro 22 inch, and you guys are depressing me something awful. If I get a gun like those mentioned above, I will drive Mossberg so Freaking Crazy, they may just offer to buy it back with interest. There is NO REASON, NONE, that this is happening. This is nothing more than bad business practice, and them employee's who practice it should be removed. That includes The CEO to the men who sweeps the floor.

Good luck on that JM Pro.

The 930 I have is BY FAR the worst firearm purchase I've made. It is so bad that I wouldn't even try to sell it. I wish Mossberg had that same level of morality before they sold the 930 to me. I will continue to mess with it and hope that it approaches some level of consistency. But there is no way in Hades that the 930 will be my HD gun. And that is the sole reason I bought it.

I won't dwell on it, and I have moved on to other options for my HD. But I will never buy another Mossberg product.

Good luck on that JM Pro.

The 930 I have is BY FAR the worst firearm purchase I've made. It is so bad that I wouldn't even try to sell it. I wish Mossberg had that same level of morality before they sold the 930 to me. I will continue to mess with it and hope that it approaches some level of consistency. But there is no way in Hades that the 930 will be my HD gun. And that is the sole reason I bought it.

I won't dwell on it, and I have moved on to other options for my HD. But I will never buy another Mossberg product.
When did you buy it, I was told the later versions are reliable

I bought mine in early-mid 2015. Not sure of the manufacture date though.

GREAT looking gun. But I wouldn't trust it outside of the range. Hoping that eventually I can tweak it into reliability. But I'm no longer optimistic.

I am currently waiting on my JM Pro 22 inch, and you guys are depressing me something awful. If I get a gun like those mentioned above, I will drive Mossberg so Freaking Crazy, they may just offer to buy it back with interest. There is NO REASON, NONE, that this is happening. This is nothing more than bad business practice, and them employee's who practice it should be removed. That includes The CEO to the men who sweeps the floor.

For what it's worth my JM Pro has been flawless from day one...

I actually bought this for home defense, and the deep woods camp bear and other predator protection for the wife. I figured it to be much easier on her physically and the ease of use under stress, point and pull. I love the 590A1, but even that when fired fast can easily be short stroked. I have read through the problems and fixes posted, I at least now know what to look for when I break it down for its first deep, deep, cleaning. I guess we will see.

OK, The Mossberg 930 JMPro 22 inch barrel arrived day before yesterday, and yesterday I did a complete disassemble, scrub down cleaning, and lube. When finished I filled the mag tube, and manual cycled it. I then put one in the chamber and filled the tube then cycled, NO PROBLEMS. I then went to the local sand pit and was unable to get in to it, and do a more proper test of 200 rounds do to deep snow. I did however go to a spot on the side of the road and run 9 rounds of 2 3/4 hi-brass Estate, and 9 rounds of wal-mart bulk Winchester very, very, low brass into the side of a frozen snow covered hill. All went off with out a hitch, all the empty shells were in about a 3 foot circle, about 6 foot away from me. I was a Happy Camper even at 13 degrees with an 18 below wind chill. I returned home and did another disassemble and clean, lube, and cycling.

Just one more thing. I am grateful for you guys, and girls here for your posts, Good, Bad, or Indifferent. I think this helps people as to what to expect, or maybe look out for from any firearm they plan to buy or maybe already have. This forum give me the info I needed, to make a battle plan of attack, for when I received my shotgun. I knew the first thing to do was a complete scrub down, not just a cleaning but a SCUB DOWN. I always new you should clean any firearm you received, but I did not know how much shipping grease Mossberg used, until that is, I read it here.
Thank You All Very Much.
Thee American Icon
Buff Studly

Thank You MikeD. What info do you need form the gun-box for serial number data base?

All the info is here: http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/mossberg-serial-number-data-base.13187/

We need member input for this to work. We are asking for the first few digits of you serial #, (A123xxx)and any info you have on the gun.(box label,,date bought)
We are trying to make this a quick reference chart for members who want to find the date of their Mossberg.
Thank you in advance for the help.

Had my JM Pro Series 24' several weeks now. First trip out 5 light strikes and many FTE which made me nuts. Read all the posts in this forum and others that were consistent with this firearm. I followed the JM you tube on the disassembly and thorough cleaning. Paid specific attention and detail to the pistol cleaning. Also took off mag tube and cleaned it. When disassembling the mag tube was loose, which was strange and wouldn't think that would contribute to the issues of FTE and light strikes, but who knows. Second Trip shot 250 rounds, shot flawlessly. Few buddies and I shot 5 stand and Sporting clays and they want one as well. Much pleased now, EXCEPT I can't get the gosh dern choke out. Good News the choke is the IC which is what I use mostly. The extractor in the box seems to be just slightly imperfect which is stripping the choke.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but have a couple questions. I saw a 930 Blackwater available for purchase online...what makes the Blackwater edition special? And are the 930s that temperamental? From reading through some threads, it sounds they may be hit or miss. Thanks in advance

The Blackwater editions are SPX models with logos on the side, nothing more.

The 18"-20" 930's are much more finicky with ammo than the longer barreled field and high performance models. The 930 gas system was designed around the longer barrels and there is a high degree of lost pressure with the short barrels that results in the FTF/FTE issues. Still, some of the SPX and Tactical models are worry free from the start. Mine was not, but with a few tweaks is running like a champ...

Thanks LES, I did see one of your posts in another thread. The 930 I was looking at does have the 18" barrel.

One of mine is the 18" model and has always been 100% with high velocity defensive ammo. Only reason I added the OR3GUN spacer tube was so I could get it to run low velocity / low mass target rounds for the range...

Had my JM Pro Series 24' several weeks now. First trip out 5 light strikes and many FTE which made me nuts. Read all the posts in this forum and others that were consistent with this firearm. I followed the JM you tube on the disassembly and thorough cleaning. Paid specific attention and detail to the pistol cleaning. Also took off mag tube and cleaned it. When disassembling the mag tube was loose, which was strange and wouldn't think that would contribute to the issues of FTE and light strikes, but who knows. Second Trip shot 250 rounds, shot flawlessly. Few buddies and I shot 5 stand and Sporting clays and they want one as well. Much pleased now, EXCEPT I can't get the gosh dern choke out. Good News the choke is the IC which is what I use mostly. The extractor in the box seems to be just slightly imperfect which is stripping the choke.
Jan 24th update+++ Range yesterday, had 3 light strikes again. Although I can't be sure it appeared during 10 round ammo dumps around 7th round each time. Any thoughts appreciated.

Back