• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

I pretty much went through mine when it was new and made sure anywhere there were two surfaces that rubbed / slid against each other that they did so very smoothly, if not they got a polishing / slicking up. My theory is if you're going to shoot low velocity stuff the majority of the time (which I am) then anywhere you can reduce drag / friction helps the limited amount of energy that low power loads produce cycle the gun. And so far the only issue I've had was an ID10T error on my part when fitting an aftermarket part, otherwise it's digested everything I've fed it, and I love mine. For the record, I have the security combo, not a SPX or JM series. BUT, even my 18.5" barrel will do full mag dumps with federal 1150fps bulk box with no issues.

I bought my 930spx about 3 months ago as a used gun and immediately had problems. I sent it back to Mossberg and they replaced the gas system and the shell stop assembly. The day I got it back, I took it to the range to try it out. After 3 rounds, the rear shell stop pin (the pin under the bolt release) fell out! I called the service dept. and they sent me a new pin with 3 new clips, but in the meantime, I pushed the pin back in and sealed the top (bottom?) with a dab of Goop. It's a strong adhesive and dries to a rubbery consistency. It seams to do the trick. I'm still having a bit of trouble with failure to eject my Winchester Super-target (1180 velocity) rounds. It happens a couple of times per box. I understand that this shotgun doesn't particularly like Winchester ammo. It's a shame a tactical shotgun has to be so finicky. What is this or3gun kit and what problems does it address?

Here's some info on the OR3GUN part that helped the issue with mine...

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...n-marine-spacer-tube-competition-model.13823/

Didn't help with the bulk Winchester stuff, but a lot of folks here even have issues with that ammo in pump guns...

Good review, Lazy Eye. Curious results. After getting my gun back from Mossberg, and field stripping it, it became apparent that the spacer tube had apparently broke and was about 1 1/2 inch shorter than the hefty aluminum piece they replaced it with. I'll just have to use something other than Winchester target loads. It has no problem with 00 buck or slugs.

I have a 930 SPX with the synthetic pistol grip handle stock. I just noticed a crack in the stock just behind the safety. Has anyone else had this problem? I store and transport the gun in a hard plastic case and have no explanation for this crack.

I posted this elsewhere too. I called Mossberg this morning and explained the crack in the stock. There're response was that they're going to send me a new one. I asked if they wanted the old one back and they said no need. Outstanding Mossberg! Great customer service!

My new to me used 930 JM Pro feeds and cycles everything...util around ten shots. Then the piston gets so gunked up that the pusher return spring can't reset the piston in the cylinder. The bolt can't even slam the pusher forward to go into battery. I can break it down and clean out the cylinder and piston again and it runs great...for about ten more rounds. This is unacceptable. What is the problem?

Try cleaning the gas piston thoroughly concentrating on the gas seals (remove and clean them too). Be sure you're not over-oiling. Wipe off all excess with a rag. Also, make sure the outside of the mag tube is well cleaned and properly oiled. Use steel wool if you have to. You're not using Winchester ammo, are you?

Try cleaning the gas piston thoroughly concentrating on the gas seals (remove and clean them too). Be sure you're not over-oiling. Wipe off all excess with a rag. Also, make sure the outside of the mag tube is well cleaned and properly oiled. Use steel wool if you have to. You're not using Winchester ammo, are you?
Some Winchester. Is it particularly dirty?
I Cleaned the shit out of the cylinder and took the rings off the piston and cleaned them in and out using hoppes bore cleaner and wire brush. I scrubbed the mag tube until it shined. The only oil I used was very light coat of Rem oil inside the cylinder because it is steel. I wiped out all the excess. Just wanted to protect this part from rust. I clean this gun after every short shooting session. I have to or it doesn't function.

Apparently the rims on Winchester ammo is a bit thinner than most and that causes FTE problems with the 930. Make sure the inside of the lug is very clean too. The back part where the piston sits. Other than that, I don't know. You did watch the Jerry Micelik on the Mossberg site on how to strip and clean the gun, right? I hope you get this figured out.

Apparently the rims on Winchester ammo is a bit thinner than most and that causes FTE problems with the 930. Make sure the inside of the lug is very clean too. The back part where the piston sits. Other than that, I don't know. You did watch the Jerry Micelik on the Mossberg site on how to strip and clean the gun, right? I hope you get this figured out.
never had an FTE. Never had a problem with the mag tube feeding. I have one problem. The piston will not return into the cylinder so on trigger pull, the bolt is out of battery because it hits the pusher pins.
I have the gun disassembled now and it is not that dirty. I just shot 20 rounds and started getting issues after the tenth round. I think the barrel may be bent and the piston is getting stuck because it is out of alignment. That's not going to be something I can fix.

Notice the piston not entering the cylinder under full tension
redir

Now when I torque the barrel counterclockwise in relation to the receiver
redir

Last edited:
That's true. Give Mossberg a call tomorrow and talk to them. They're really great. My stock developed a crack and when I called, they just said that they'd send me a new one. No fuss. It might be different with a barrel, but give it a try. Their tech people are top-notch.

Yes, and welcome to the barrel gotcha club.
Called CS today and told them the piston was not entering the cylinder in line and was hanging up. She asked "is the barrel canted?" I said yes it is canted counterclockwise. She said to send it in and if they had to replace it, they would. I should be able to get the gun store where I bought it (used) to ship it for me. I'm in good with those guys. I just never heard of the barrel issue before. Searches for 930 issues always direct to the FTE with light loads or the magazine extension issue with not feeding. Two problems I have not run into.

I had to ship mine back and they fixed more stuff than I thought they would. They told me I'd have to pay for parts but not labor. I got the gun back and they didn't even charge me for parts. Great customer service!

Took the gun back to the store where I bought it. They said no problem to return it to Mossberg. Saves me the shipping costs.

I posted this elsewhere too. I called Mossberg this morning and explained the crack in the stock. There're response was that they're going to send me a new one. I asked if they wanted the old one back and they said no need. Outstanding Mossberg! Great customer service!
After 2 weeks, no stock. Called and they said it hasn't shipped yet, but will that day. 5 days later, no stock. Called again. Promised it will ship today. We'll see. Not holding my breath.

Back