• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

So pleased with customer service at Mossberg that I bought a JM Pro 930 today to go with my Tactical. Is it insane to double down on a platform that many find finicky? Yes, yes, it is. Now you know something about me. :)

Seriously though I'm hoping for the best and should be able to apply what I learn about one to the other.

You're in good company.

Started out with a 930 Tactical and added a 24" JM Pro. Had issues with the Tactical, but the JM Pro has been flawless from the start. Keep us posted...

Took both out for a spin again today and they both ran absolutely flawlessly.

The JM Pro on cheap bulk Federal 7 1/2, 3"
The Tactical on S&B 1 Buckshot 2 3/4"

Took both out for a spin again today and they both ran absolutely flawlessly.

The JM Pro on cheap bulk Federal 7 1/2, 3"
The Tactical on S&B 1 Buckshot 2 3/4"
Cheap bulk Federal 7 1/2, 3"? Never seen any of that. 2 3/4
always

Not sure where this question belongs so I decided this was as good a place as any. I apologize if I'm stealing anyone's thread but I new to the forum and didn't see anyplace else to post this question.

Is the 930 SPX a kit gun like a Sportster or a boat? I just bought one and thought the cash outlay was done. Now all I see are posts here and on YouTube about upgrades and modifications. What's necessary and what's choice?

I fired 60 rounds of Remington managed recoil and 40 rounds of rifled slugs yesterday with no issues. I plan to use my SPX for tactical classes once or twice a year and home defense.

Besides cleaning, what is really needed and what is choice?

Thanks

Not sure where this question belongs so I decided this was as good a place as any. I apologize if I'm stealing anyone's thread but I new to the forum and didn't see anyplace else to post this question.

Is the 930 SPX a kit gun like a Sportster or a boat? I just bought one and thought the cash outlay was done. Now all I see are posts here and on YouTube about upgrades and modifications. What's necessary and what's choice?

I fired 60 rounds of Remington managed recoil and 40 rounds of rifled slugs yesterday with no issues. I plan to use my SPX for tactical classes once or twice a year and home defense.

Thanks

The cash outlay can be done, depends on if you WANT TO modify or add things to it. Your choice either way.

Thanks

Most mods folks throw on are for looks and personalization. Some are to correct issues with function, but if yours runs like a champ straight out of the box then you got a winner. One of mine needed the OR3GUN spacer tube to function reliably, the other one was good to go straight outta the box and I haven't changed a thing...

Thanks
That's the fun of it, you get to make it the way you want it. I like mine simple some like to dress it up, it's all up to you and your wallet, have fun.

Mr. Lipman I have a JM Pro and will be adding OR3GUN's Multi-Use Combo, and Mossberg's SS Return Spring from their Pro-Series Waterfowl Shotguns. "The addition of a stainless steel return spring ensures reliable, and corrosion-free operation of the recoil system."
All of this has BEEN PROVEN to and IMHO will add to the reliability and performance enhancement to your shotgun.

OR3GUN's Multi-Use Combo
http://www.or3gun.com/OR3GUN/about_or3gun_combo.htm

Mossberg's Press Release that refers to The SS Return Spring
http://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/...ries-Waterfowl-Shotguns-PR-1-4-2016-FINAL.pdf

I had my JM Pro out again this morning and it worked flawlessly. I was one of those guys shooting target loads out of an SPX without breaking it in that initially had trouble. Several outings since, I'm really glad that I stuck with Mossberg (doubled down even) and would recommend them to friends. For their price point, they are very good guns.

Thanks

I have not had one problem with either one of mine. First one got sold and this one is equally flawless. I wouldn't worry about it. keeping it clean is the best thing you can do for it. I clean after every target shoot.

Hey should my elevator on my 930 move upward manually when my bolt is locked back? I could have sworn the first time I took it hunting I had the mag tube loaded and then I dropped one in the ejection port and dropped the bolt. I must be loosing my mind because I can't load it at all with the bolt locked back??? I'm wondering if I missed something during a cleaning or if I need to be on meds haha

Hey should my elevator on my 930 move upward manually when my bolt is locked back? I could have sworn the first time I took it hunting I had the mag tube loaded and then I dropped one in the ejection port and dropped the bolt. I must be loosing my mind because I can't load it at all with the bolt locked back??? I'm wondering if I missed something during a cleaning or if I need to be on meds haha

No. Maybe the other way around, dropped one in and closed the bolt and then loaded the mag?

No. Maybe the other way around, dropped one in and closed the bolt and then loaded the mag?

Great...I am losing my mind!

I haven't had a shotgun in 30 years, the entire operation of the thing seems so foreign. Should be able to cure that with a few hundred rounds...

Turns out it is a malfunction. It just doesn't load a shell and the bolt locks back like its empty. I was able to bring it back after changing mag springs to a firmer nordic one. I will trim the spring a bit which I imagine should take pressure off the first round

I think I am starting to lose it. Took my 930 with me to the cabin over the weekend after installing some more OR3GUN parts I had picked up and never installed. Pulled the turkey barrel, slapped the field barrel in it and away I went.

Got to the cabin, shot a few rounds and it would not cycle anything. Tore it down, lubed everything, check fitment on everything, still wouldn't cycle. As I was putting it back together the last time I noticed some slop in the pusher assembly.....Yup I forgot to pull the gas piston out of the turkey barrel and pout it back in the field barrel. How I did not catch this previously I do not know. DOH!!!!

Hello, I have been having feeding and ejecting issues with my 930 SPX for the last 9 months or so. For a little background I bought it new and it ran like a charm for the first 400 rounds (300+ on the first day at the range). I cleaned and lubed it per the lackluster manual. I later found Jerry Miculek's great video on cleaning and servicing the 930. On to the issue, last summer after a thorough cleaning per the JM vid I took my 930 out to the range and it had a bunch of issues mostly failing to eject. I ended up breaking a small piece off of the top of the bolt carrier. I packed it up and shipped it to Mossberg late August. When I got it back they had replaced the broken part as well as the mag tube, extension, spring, follower, shell stop, and pressure ring assembly. I took it out again and had the same failure to eject and also plenty of fail to feed from the mag tube. After having about 12 stoppages in just 50 rounds I again packed it up and sent it back. I got it back a month later after they replaced a few other parts. I once again took it back out and experienced the same issues using 5 different loads from 00 to #8. I talked to the lead tech at Mossberg at length about the problems. I sent it back for a third time only to get it back have the same issues although about 50% better than before. I ran a bit over 100 rounds of 3 different 00, #4 hi brass, and 2 different #8 bird loads. I had 10-12 FTE/FTF out of the 100. Needless to say I am starting to loose my patients. After calling them they offered to take it back, but I'm starting to doubt it can be fixed. The tech said I should have cleaned it that 100 rounds can foul it up. The problem is I had my first failure at round 30 (12 by Mossberg). Any suggestions?

Hello, I have been having feeding and ejecting issues with my 930 SPX for the last 9 months or so. For a little background I bought it new and it ran like a charm for the first 400 rounds (300+ on the first day at the range). I cleaned and lubed it per the lackluster manual. I later found Jerry Miculek's great video on cleaning and servicing the 930. On to the issue, last summer after a thorough cleaning per the JM vid I took my 930 out to the range and it had a bunch of issues mostly failing to eject. I ended up breaking a small piece off of the top of the bolt carrier. I packed it up and shipped it to Mossberg late August. When I got it back they had replaced the broken part as well as the mag tube, extension, spring, follower, shell stop, and pressure ring assembly. I took it out again and had the same failure to eject and also plenty of fail to feed from the mag tube. After having about 12 stoppages in just 50 rounds I again packed it up and sent it back. I got it back a month later after they replaced a few other parts. I once again took it back out and experienced the same issues using 5 different loads from 00 to #8. I talked to the lead tech at Mossberg at length about the problems. I sent it back for a third time only to get it back have the same issues although about 50% better than before. I ran a bit over 100 rounds of 3 different 00, #4 hi brass, and 2 different #8 bird loads. I had 10-12 FTE/FTF out of the 100. Needless to say I am starting to loose my patients. After calling them they offered to take it back, but I'm starting to doubt it can be fixed. The tech said I should have cleaned it that 100 rounds can foul it up. The problem is I had my first failure at round 30 (12 by Mossberg). Any suggestions?
You're not using Winchester ammo, are you?

Took the gun back to the store where I bought it. They said no problem to return it to Mossberg. Saves me the shipping costs.
Update: It took over three weeks and they were not replying to my emails. I finally got the gun store to call them and the gun came back the next day. As you can see, it has been a while since my last post and I must report that I have been shooting this gun for ten months without a single issue. I took it dove hunting in September and shot 100 rounds without a hiccup.

BTW, Winchester or Federal cheap target loads operate flawlessly.

Back