• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 ext mag capacity

bgeda

Copper BB
I've been to every gun store in the greater Raleigh Durham CH area no one can figure this out.

If I have a Mossberg 930 Tactical: http://www.mossberg.com/product/930-tactical-5-shot-85330/

Why is it that if I add a +3 ext to get it to 8 shots from 5 it will go past the barrel?

When a Mossberg 930 SPX: http://www.mossberg.com/product/930-spx-8-shot-85360/

Has a 8rd capacity with the same barrel length and a mag ext tube that is flush? What are we all missing here?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

I'm not familiar with it but...is there connection ring that would add length that you may have looked over?

No, as far as we are aware it is a standard +2 choate ext tube on the SPX, which makes no sense regarding their capacity claims.

A +3 from either Choate or Nordic both put it at least an inch beyond the barrel tip as they are both 8+"

Well, consider this case closed. Just spoke with Engineering over at Mossberg itself.

The Mossberg 930 SPX uses a Choate +2 mag tube ext. on the 930 tactical frame (a 4+1 frame). It will only achieve the advertised 8 shells with specific 2 3/4 shells.

If you put a +2 tube ext. on a 930 tactical you will also be able to achieve the "advertised" shell capacity of 8 that the SPX shows. Supposedly. Engineering is aware of this issue and is working to get it straightened out as we speak.

Thanks for the help anyways Jack :)

LES may have some other insights as well. I think he has the SPX among many others.

My first guess was the muzzle device but wasn't certain if that added length or not. I'm also not positive the tactical has the muzzle device without looking.

And welcome to Mossberg Ownerns!

Well, consider this case closed. Just spoke with Engineering over at Mossberg itself.

The Mossberg 930 SPX uses a Choate +2 mag tube ext. on the 930 tactical frame (a 4+1 frame). It will only achieve the advertised 8 shells with specific 2 3/4 shells.

If you put a +2 tube ext. on a 930 tactical you will also be able to achieve the "advertised" shell capacity of 8 that the SPX shows. Supposedly. Engineering is aware of this issue and is working to get it straightened out as we speak.

Thanks for the help anyways Jack :)

Howdy folks, sorry I'm late to the party.

This last post hit the nail on the head. It's kinda like an auto manufacturer claiming an average of 24 mpg. Sure you can achieve that if you drive the entire tank going 35 miles an hour down hill with the AC off.

My 930 Tactical sports a Nordic +2 extension with the short cap and sits at 6+1...

Never been able to get 7 shells in the tube with any brand or type of ammo. There was a mid-length cap in production for a while that would sit flush and allow the extra round with certain types of ammo, but the one round wasn't a big deal to me. There are a couple fixes, easiest of which is trimming the mag spring down to make room. Here's a thread that polled our 930 SPX owners on tube capacity and spring length...

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/930-magazine-spring-survey.4968/

I took the easier route and just bought a 10-shot JM Pro.

...oh, and welcome to the forum @bgeda ...

I didn't read every word of this post, sorry if i missed this.

I have a 930 SPX and it's 7 rounds in the mag and 1 in the chamber. I shoot it in 3 Gun and am very sure of the capacity.

Back