• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Sporting Clay Reliability

Jarzola818

Copper BB
Hey guys thanks for approving my account! Im glad i found you guys and im hoping i can get some help/feedback.

I own 2 Mossberg 500's and so far they both have performed flawlessly. I started shooting Sporting Clays with a buddy of mine with my Mossberg 500. It was a challenge but was really fun. From then on i was hooked. I have shot at some fun shoots and scored in the low 70's. All the better shooters shot semi autos or over/unders. I am looking to purchase a mossberg 930 in the near future and would like to have some real life feedback on the reliability of this gun. Preferably the all purpose model.

Does it shoot target loads consistenly? 1200fps #7.5, #8, #9.

Do you guys recommend cleaning after so many rounds to maintain reliability?

Break in period to become more reliable?

What extended chokes do you guys recommend?

Any feedback would be great! This shotgun will be used exclusively for sporting clays, skeet, or five stand. Cant have this 930 becoming a single shot shotgun when it matters the most. Sorry for being so negative but i have heard positives and negatives. I would love to beat some of these guys shooting $1700+ dollar guns. Nothing against these guys or their guns.

Thanks guys!

I purchased my 930 SPX for three gun events. However, it has been relegated to skeet and sporting clays duty after having to replace several parts (Trigger assembly, piston, several pusher assemblies, ect). My 930 runs great for skeet and sporting clays. For three gun, I am saving money for an M2.

I've only had one issue with my 930. I did not clean it when I first got it and tried to shoot skeet in near zero temps. The grease in it thickened up and rendered it a single shot. After cleaning it out really good I've yet to have another issue with it.

I run my 930 with froglube and I regularly get 1200 rounds before I need to break it down and clean it. In the winter I tend to clean it after every 800 rounds to ensure it running flawlessly for clays.

Thanks for the feedback guys! So an initial cleaning is a must. Hopefully i don't run into so many broken parts. How long have you guys had your Mossberg 930's? What brand and size loads do you guys typically shoot? How many rounds have you guys shot through it so far?

Thanks for the feedback guys! So an initial cleaning is a must. Hopefully i don't run into so many broken parts. How long have you guys had your Mossberg 930's? What brand and size loads do you guys typically shoot? How many rounds have you guys shot through it so far?

Initial cleaning is a definite must. They use a lot of heavy grease and it can cause a lot of issues. Just clean it up and use a lighter grease/oil on it and you should be good to go.

I don't know how many rounds, I don't keep track on my shotguns, or most others for that matter. My best guess several hundred. I don't shoot as much as I used to.

Dan mentioned FrogLube. I hear that works really well. I use Slip2000 and have no thing bad to say about it. Lots of good options out there.

I have 15-20k rounds through mine and I have had it for 4 years now. It shoots whatever I feed it.

I have about 3k through mine… only thing mine hates is estate white box with the doves…. it doesn't eject it reliably. Any other brand it's smooth sailing at the skeet range.

Cool guys! This is exactly what i needed to hear! I had my doubts. I will pick one up asap and keep you guys posted.

Any specific derections on where the factory grease that needs to come off is located? All over? And how you guys re lubricate it after cleaning? Owners manual directions are good enough? I'ved heard really great suff about frog lube.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
I run Federal Number 8 (3 dram, 1 1/8 ounce loads), RIO (Same loading as Federal), Estate (Same loading as Federal), and I have tried some of the 2 3/4DE, 1 ounce loads from Federal and they worked as well. My particular 930 hates ANYTHING loaded by Winchester.

Another thing to remember, and this applies to any gun with removable chokes not just the 930, remove and clean the choke tubes/threads occasionally.

I never thought much about this until I refinished an old 835 a while back and had to use a plumbers internal pipe wrench to get the choke tube out because it had seized in the threads. I had tried just about everything to get it out and was to the pint of contemplating cutting the barrel and re-threading when it finally broke free. This won't be an issue if you swap chokes frequently but if the gun is a single tasker and you don't change them often, you might want to add it to your cleaning task list.

here's my video on how I field strip and clean it.... now I use frog lube but this is method is fine for at least 300-500 rounds. After that the gas piston becomes very dirty and you get FTF, FTE issues until you clean it out again.

I just picked up a 930 (I think it's the waterfowl version, 28" vent rib ported barrel with fiox sight, walnut? furniture) and curious how light others have been able to go with loads and still have reliable functioning. I bought a variety of loads, 4 variations between 1oz or 1 1/8oz x 7 1/2 shot or 8 shot but I would like to know if 7/8oz loads would still cycle reliably

My 24" JM Pro will chew through anything I feed it, but my 18" 930 Tactical chokes on light loads and anything under 1200 fps muzzle velocity. With your 28" barrel I don't expect you'll have any issues with the light loads. Keep the gas system clean and it should run like a champ...

I've been shooting a 24" 930 for a few years and could not be happier. I do both 3-Gun and 5 stand ( + more!) and the gun runs flawlessly.

I don't shoot smaller than 7 1/2 shot and look for 1200 or more fps. I do my job and keep it clean and it follows suit!!

Ha, hi there mingaa, same McE here.
Since it was your 930 that I shot in WI, can you tell me what loads those were and what kind of mag ext you had?

i got jmpro 930 this year, i shoot ~ 1200 rounds, federal, winchester white box, rio, and herter.
i shoot 7 1/2, 8 and 9 no problems with ammo.
had some minor issues around 5th / 6 round with federal and winchester due to extension tube.
i polished/dremel follower but sometimes round can get stock between mag tube and extension tube.
i prefer rio ammo. it is cleaner ammo and better/shooth finish.
federal is really dirty ammo and winchester white box sometimes has wider rim and spent shell can get stock in the ejection port.
i did not have a problem with winchester white box and mossberg but had issues with remington.
winchester white box is also dirty ammo.

Back