• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Turkey Choke?

4n2t0

.22LR
Any suggestions? I'm shooting #5 Winchester Long Beards and considering the following chokes:

Primos Jelly Head Maximum (.660)
H.S. Strut UnderTaker (.665)
Kick's Gobblin' Thunder (.665)
RedHead BlackOut (made by Carlson) (.660)
Carlson's Long Beard XR (.660)

In my experience, the Carlson's LongBeard was too open. So from that perspective, everything of the same exit diameter is too open. Carlson's makes the claim of 182 pellets in 10" with their LongBeard choke and LongBeard ammo, but they're also beginning with #6 shot rather than the #5s.

I didn't come close to that claim and sent mine back in favor of the tightest extended ported turkey choke they make. I arrived at a pattern of 170/+ pellets in 10" at 40 yards.

I've heard many good things about Kicks, again though, I'd go tighter if you're looking for a long shot.

The other I would try is the Trulock LongBeard. It's not ported but is extended. I like the Trulock for this reason; they're the only ones actually posting photos and videos of their patterns. They're warranty and exchange policy is at least as good as Carlson's and Kicks.

A sleeper but discontinued choke is the Truglo strut stopper Xtreme.

Oh, with the #5 shot, the Truglo strut Stopper performed the best by far. It's also tighter than the tightest Carlson's I have.

Thanks for the reply.

I was very interested in the Truglo Strut Stopper Xtreme but have heard conflicting reports about the .643 constriction. Some say it's way too tight for #5 and deforms the pattern. The internet harbours a wealth of information but it certainly makes decision making difficult, especially when your always reading something that makes you second guess yourself.

I'll look into Trulock. They're a little more difficult to obtain here (Canada) but not impossible. I know Kick's makes a .655 for the Mossberg 930 so I'll look into that also.

P.S. I know the only "real" way is to pattern my shotgun but I'm trying to avoid buying a zillion chokes by drawing from the experience of others like yourself.

Well, I don't have a ton of experience, but I've gone through several chokes in my pursuits and chasing patterns. And you're right, patterning is the only sure way to find out.

The reason I believe the .660 is too open, is a good deal of predator hunters using a 12 gauge, consider that exit diameter to be the starting point for loads as big as #4 buck in something like a 3" shell with 41 pellets.

I like my Carlson's coyote choke. It's the nearly the same exit diameter as some of the more open turkey chokes (like those listed in the area of .660) It works best for me with heavy weight B shot but it's nearly the same with 4 buck.

The Carlson's LongBeard isn't a bad choke, but at least in my case, I couldn't reproduce the patterns they boasted. Perhaps at closer range maybe. I really feel the .660 is too open but if you try that and then maybe pick up a couple chokes from eBay, it may be worth it. I check eBay from time to time looking for stuff I haven't tried before and it's a more reasonably priced alternative when you aren't sure which way to go.

I'll echo something I mentioned briefly before, if you're looking for a long shot, the #6 with a tighter choke may be the way to go. If you think you're longest shot will be inside say 35 yards, (most shots are I believe) then you may not need that much choke.

Ultimately, I can only offer my personal experiences and agree with you 100% that patterning will have the final say.

Don't thank me yet, lol!

Even with tons of advice, finding just the right choke and just the right load can be really frustrating!

For most close shooting, any of those chokes are gonna be fine. I've been trying to push the range as far as possible in large part because of manufacturers claims of 70 yards lethal patterns. I believe their definition of lethal pattern and my definition are two very different things. I had several chokes and several loads and fired every thing I could through each choke.

Some people find a set up that works together right away. Others like myself have to experiment a little more. I'm still not 100% satisfied and hope to try a couple or few of the Trulock chokes yet this year.

Winchester has a new BB lead load in the ShotLok like the LongBeard ammo I'm looking forward to trying.

Back