• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Watch Dog versus the 930 SPX

It seems like the 930 Watchdog model 85321 is basically the same gun as the 930 SPX 8-Shot (no pistol grip) model 85360. The difference is that the 930 Watchdog has a bead sight and the 930 SPX 8-Shot has a picatiny rail, LPA ghost ring rear sights and fiber optic front sight. The other difference is the price, the Watchdog goes for around $425.00 but the 930 SPX 8-Shot goes for around $635.00

I think with the plain receiver I can switch out the 18.5 for a slug barrel or a GP 28" barrel, correct me if I'm wrong but with the picatiny rail, I think its pretty much stuck in that configuration - tactical / home defense - whatever you want to call it, right?

It seems like the Watchdog is more versatile.

Is there a disadvantage to going with a bead sight for HD versus an LPA?

In my opinion, you're better off with a bead sight.

I have beads and GRS on different shotguns. The bead sights are much faster on target and plenty accurate. The pic rail on the SPX is removable, so you would be able to switch out to a bead barrel if desired. All said, I'd go with a factory Field/Security combo (85325). You get both barrels for around $550 and these combos have a history of reliability that cannot be said about the SPX or other "Tactical" models...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...s_id/76743/Mossberg+930C+12+18CB28VR+ACCM+SYN

I'm not super great with all of these initials, but I'm guessing GRS means ghost ring sight, or peep sight. You will be better off with quick target acquisition every day with a bead sight. Plus you're not doing precision shooting (as far as I know). The idea of a peep sight is quick acquisition along with accuracy, but accuracy is the main focus. Even deer hunters with slug barrels use blade sights (open sight) as opposed to peep (I'm guessing for the more open view field)

Back